Volek wants out

Edogger

Last night on Sportcenter I heard that Volek wants out of Tennessee. I wonder if this is one of the reasons they signed Collins in preparation of this. I wonder who will get him.

Volek should be given the opportunity to at least show his worth in Tennessee. He has come in MANY times and played very well when McNair went down to injury.

If Detroit wasn't in drug induced state of believing Kitna is going to make them great, Volek would do well there. Hell, if the Browns thought for a minute Frye wasn't the answer there, Volek would be a great addition to their team...

WHODEY !!!

It's the chicken and the egg. Did they sign Collins because Volek wanted out, or did Volek want out because they signed Collins.

Here's a question:

If you want to "test" your starting QB, or at least encourage him with a little intercamp competition, and he responds by asking for a trade....would you even want him as your starter any more?

Reminds me of Jeff Garcia in Cleveland.

Volek already knows he's going to get replaced by Young at some point and now they bring in Collins ?? If I was Volek, I'd be pissed to, but I do understand the organization wanting to ensure they have a solid backup QB without having to throw Young into the fire. It can go either way, but I feel Volek deserves every chance to play without controversy !!!

WHODEY !!!

This is a slap in Volek's face from the Titans. He has been nothing short of a solid backup and deserves a chance to prove himself as a starter. They signed Kerry Collins to be the starter because Bud Adams can't stand not to meddle with the team. Volek should be upset. I fully expect Collins to start this weekend, and it is not because he deserves it, but because Buddy wants it that way. This will kill any hopes the Titans had of being successfull this season. Or next season as well.

Interesting take on the subject at SI.com...

Tennessee sources say Volek has consistently overestimated his grasp on the starting job, believing he was further along in his development than he actually is. And even more telling, Volek is said to have shown little inclination to put in the long hours of work necessary to hone his craft, even after the Titans made Texas star Vince Young the third overall pick in this year's draft.
Volek disappointed Titans coaches this preseason with his shaky decision-making and his lack of expertise in running Chow's offense. There were parts of the offense he still wasn't embracing or showing significant improvement in. That's why Tennessee obtained Collins, a 12th-year veteran who has been exposed to several systems in his career and has a proven track record of production that includes more than 33,000 yards passing and 173 career touchdown passes.