All-Bengals Team - QB

Kirkendall

Ok, you guys, once again gave me a great idea. Lets create our own all-bengals team per position, but discuss why a certain player should take over. This will be fun, let's do one position at a time so this thing is flooded with everyones all team. We'll create our unifed version, eh?

Starting with Quarterback today.

My vote goes to Boomer.

Boomer-qb

Dillon-rb

Pickens,Collinsworth-wr

Holman-te

Munoz-Lt

Montoya-Lg

Braham-c

Joe Walter-(put him here because he deserves to be on list.)

Anderson-rt

P.Johnson-Fb

-----------

Francis-mlb

R.Williams-slb

B.Simmons-wlb

R.Browner-rde

E.Edwards-Lde

Krumrie-dt

M.Reid-dt -(despite the fact that he left to play country music)

K.Riley-Lcb

D.Fulcher-ss

B.Kemp-fs

L.Breeden-Rcb

*this is my official vote for all positions. B)

I am going to show my age and go against the grain and pick Ken Anderson.

Anderson won four passing titles (74, 75, 81, 82) and league MVP in 1981. He holds the Bengals record for most Touchdowns (197) and passing yards (32,838) and completions (2654).

He is still ranked in the top 10 alltime in passer rating as well (81.9) and averaged 7.3 yards per completion. He also ran for 2200 yards for an average of 5.6 per carry. The team made the playoffs in 1973, 75, 81 and 82 during his career and made the Super Bowl as part of the 81 season.

Obviously he was Bill Walsh's guinea pig for his development of the what became the West Coast (of the Mill Creek) offense. Look at all of the guys that Walsh had a hand in developing (Fouts, Montana, Young) and in their own way they were "clones" of KA. I even read once that Fouts was given tapes of KA to watch when Walsh was at San Diego before he went to SF. I am sure Montana got the same training.

Keep in mind that the passing game was not as wide open and complex as it is now. It was mostly used to keep the defenses honest and not key on the running game which was the focus in a PB offense. Most of the time it was a two back backfield with two wideouts and a TE. There were very few times where you would have three WR's or an empty backfield like today.

I liked Boomer but he was too erratic for me. He had a knack of missing guys that were open. Unfortunately if you compare Boomer with his contemporaries like Marino, Elway and Kelly you will find that there were very few come-from-behind victories for him. It seemed like once the Bengals were down, he was unable to rally them very often. I don't know where Boomer ranks on the all-time list but I am guessing that he led the league and was MVP in 1988 and I think in 1989 also. Again I like Boomer but I don't know if his career is Hall-worthy and I would take KA over him anytime.

well, its either Boomer or Ken Anderson. But you got to go with Boomer the starter.........and make Anderson the backup, Kitna would be my third stringer.

Boomer in his prime represented what the perfect Qb should be. A big stong QB. He had the arm strength to get the ball down the field. He made smart decsions. He could especially read defenses well. He could stand in the pocket and take a hit or he could buy time, by side stepping the opposition and even running for those crucial yards. He performed well under pressure, was effective at running the two minute offense, and the hurry up offense. Boomer is a gamer! I still remember when he went to the Cardinals, and had some phenomenal games. He even had some good games when he came back to Cincy towards the end of his career. Boomer is a character guy who has been good both on and off the field. Boomer definitly has to be the starting Qb for ALL BENGAL TEAM.....no question.

On a side note, its good to see Boomer endorses Carson, as the future. Hopefully he can add on to the legacy of both Boomer and Ken Anderson.

Peace

Boomer-qb

Dillon-rb

Pickens,Collinsworth-wr

Holman-te

Munoz-Lt

Montoya-Lg

Braham-c

Joe Walter-(put him here because he deserves to be on list.)

Anderson-rt

P.Johnson-Fb

-----------

Francis-mlb

R.Williams-slb

B.Simmons-wlb

R.Browner-rde

E.Edwards-Lde

Krumrie-dt

M.Reid-dt -(despite the fact that he left to play country music)

K.Riley-Lcb

D.Fulcher-ss

B.Kemp-fs

L.Breeden-Rcb

*this is my official vote for all positions. B)

Looks good, except I would make the following changes:

QB-Anderson

WR-Issac Curtis over Collinsworth

MLB-Jim LeClair over Francis. JF had a good rookie year and not much else.

Tommy Casanova has to be considered for Safety but I don't remember if he was FS or SS.

Lamar Parrish would get my vote for RCB because of his ability to retuen punts and I think he ran some INT's back as well. But I do like Breeden.

The trend I see is that the offense is spread out over several decades but there is a big gap in the defense. There is no one from the 90's or 00's on the list other than Simmons (I am not counting JF!)

I would also add Jim Breech and Lee Johnson for the special teams.

well, its either Boomer or Ken Anderson. But you got to go with Boomer the starter.........and make Anderson the backup, Kitna would be my third stringer.

Boomer in his prime represented what the perfect Qb should be. A big stong QB. He had the arm strength to get the ball down the field. He made smart decsions. He could especially read defenses well. He could stand in the pocket and take a hit or he could buy time, by side stepping the opposition and even running for those crucial yards. He performed well under pressure, was effective at running the two minute offense, and the hurry up offense. Boomer is a gamer! I still remember when he went to the Cardinals, and had some phenomenal games. He even had some good games when he came back to Cincy towards the end of his career. Boomer is a character guy who has been good both on and off the field. Boomer definitly has to be the starting Qb for ALL BENGAL TEAM.....no question.

On a side note, its good to see Boomer endorses Carson, as the future. Hopefully he can add on to the legacy of both Boomer and Ken Anderson.

Peace

Your description of Boomer sounds alot like KA! :)

The next question is who's your head coach?

Paul Brown

Forrest Gregg

Sam Wyche

Marvin Lewis

For me it is a tough call between PB and Sam. I think the jury is still out on Marvin for alot of reasons. But I will take Sam because he was able to do some good things in spite of MB and PB and was a real innovator of the game that we've seen since the 90's.

PB is a close second because he was able to make the playoffs in only their third year (1970) and made it a total of three time (70, 73, 75) while head coach. They didn't get the help that the NFL gives these new teams. It's just a shame that his age caught up with him and he had to retire. A few more years and he might have won it all.

Tough choice for me as well. Im going with Kenny on the field in his later years. Although I heard that Boomer once (maybe more) stated to his lineman that whoever let him get sacked was going to get nailed in the back of the head with the football on the next play. God I love that!! Seemed to work pretty good. Nice to think about the good ole days!

I'm not old enough to remember Paul Brown. So I got to go with Sam Wyche by default. But I liked Wyche. He didnt take no s**t.

Now that I think about it, we had some bad head coaches. Shula, Lebeau, Coslett, awful. Coslett was the worse. I dont even know how this guy is still in the league. Wasnt he the Offensive Coordinator for the Cowgirls last year? If so, ......I dont know the offensive rating for the Cowgirls offense last year, but its got to be low.

I'm not old enough to remember Paul Brown.  So I got to go with Sam Wyche by default.  But I liked Wyche.  He didnt take no s**t. 

Now that I think about it, we had some bad head coaches.  Shula, Lebeau, Coslett, awful.  Coslett was the worse.  I dont even know how this guy is still in the league.  Wasnt he the Offensive Coordinator for the Cowgirls last year?  If so, ......I dont know the offensive rating for the Cowgirls offense last year, but its got to be low.

I hate to tell you but Bruce is working for the Bengals as a scout in the Florida area. In his defense the Bengals did lead the league in total offense in 1986 and 1988 when he was the OC for us. But Sam was the coach and Boomer was the QB so that didn't hurt. He was mediocre as head coach with the Jets too before he came back to Cincinnati in the mid 90's.

No votes for Dave Shula??? Coslet??? LeBlow???

Sam Wyche was revolutionary in the "No Huddle Offense". It takes a genius to think stuff up like that....and it made crybabies out of the Buffalo Bills (you gotta love that!)

My vote is for Sam.

They cried in 1988 and then Jim Kelly rode that concept to 4 Super Bowls and the Hall of Fame. Damn thief!