Changes to the Chase

MacD BengalFan

What is it that keeps drivers out of the chase to begin with...it is points. And if any driver doesn't have the points to make it into the top 10, then so be it. Why is it necessary to create an illusion that it is fair when it is not if changes are made that make it easier for NASCAR's "golden duo" to be in at the expense of other drivers. And that is exactly what will happen. Is it so difficult for NASCAR to realize that maybe Gordon and Jr. are not great drivers. Or that they suffer equipment failures like other drivers. What is about NASCAR that they have to elevate these 2 to a pedestal that they don't deserve. There are a lot of guys running well this year, making great strides and they get nothing for their efforts - it is always about Gordon and Jr.

If the gist of this commentary is true by making it easier for Dale, Jr. and Jeff Gordon to make the chase, it will make it easier for me not to support NASCAR. Not to go to any races, not to purchase any merchandise, not to even watch it on the boob tube. If this occurs, what kind of sport will NASCAR become by legalizing cheating for a couple of competitors and making it tougher for the rest of the field to compete against them. The rest of the sports world allows the teams to compete on a level playing field, but it appears NASCAR wants to slant the field towards Gordon and Jr. And if this materializes, count me out!!! I think NASCAR is getting to big for its britches.:angry:

http://www.nascar.com/2006/news/opinion/07...tona/index.html

NASCAR said they aren't changing anything, just improving. I don't know what that means or how that's different.

Anyway, I think the Chase needs to be changed. Brian France is right about that. It's not a perfect system and with the impending cup series name change, the car of tomorrow, and the introduction of Toyota, changing the series championship chase is a good idea.

I think the 400 point window is dumb. Either increase that, or just ditch it altogether. I think it's a good idea also to update the points system.

1. Increase points for wins during the regular season.

2. Put chase drivers on a completely different points system when the championship chase starts. I don't remember where I heard it, but I thought it was a good idea to do 10 points for the best chase driver finish, to 1 point for the worst chase driver finish (even if they finished 10th in that race). Another point for a lap led, additional point for most laps led, and 5 points for win (of course, those points are only awarded to the chase drivers whereas the non-chase drivers remain in the same format.)

I have heard there's consideration for adding points to qualifying efforts which, in my mind, would be really really dumb. Starting position should be rewarding enough. Perhaps the Ryan Newman's of the world should adapt the Matt Kenseth ideology. Start 20th, finish in the top-five. Almost happens weekly.

But I don't think NASCAR is that worried about Jr. and Gordon missing last years chase. Simply put they are still exploding and those two aren't the only drivers that people cheer for. (then again, maybe they are) If anything though, NASCAR wants people to also become fans of drivers outside the 8/24 spectrum.

Tony Stewart has become a major fan favorite too (including ME!). All the Roush guys... there's plenty of personalities in NASCAR to make it great w/o Gordon and Jr.

But I think a lot of it has to do with NASCAR wanting less teams to think good finishes and want all teams to compete for the win by rewarding bigger points prizes. That, IMHO, would be a GREAT idea. A lot of times you don't see good racing because more teams are content with a top-ten finish and don't push the envelope because of the risk associated with it.

While I do understand that NASCAR stated they are making changes to improve the system, I believe they will do what it takes to keep Jr. and the Golden Boy in the chase. Why, fan base and TV ratings. They have the largest fan base of any driver (one earned and deserving, the other inherited and lucky to have them). Thus, NASCAR must keep them in the Chase to increase TV ratings that showed little increase from the year before. I just hope you are right that NASCAR will only tweak the system and not make it slanted as many fear they could.

I do agree with some of your suggestions, however, I don't think adding additional points for a win will make the racing any better. What may happen could be the opposite and that drivers might become more aggressive then they are now. Especially the young snots like Kurt and Kyle Busch. They still have yet to learn patience will run over anyone at any time at where, risking an wreck, to advance their position.

I think a separate point system for the Chase players could present more Chase drivers with a chance to win the Cup. With only 10 points awarded to the highest finishing Chase driver and 1 for the worst, will not punish those who had a bad race like the current system does. This could generate more interest from the fans because of the potential of having more then a couple of drivers close enough to win the Cup.

While the current system is not perfect and adjustments can be made to make it better, I will be watching with a skeptical eye and see if they slant the field towards Jr. and Jeff Gordon.

Whether or not they are specifically changing the Chase to include Jr. and Gordon really, at least to me, doesn't matter. I figure you have the top ten in, and then if you included Jr. and Gordon from last year, they most likely would have been out of the chase by race chase #2. Probably finished 11th and 12th in points. They weren't close to the top ten most all season. Most of the tracks are aero tracks and that was the biggest problem with both.

But as far as I can tell, at least what Brian "god" France is saying, is that they'll just fix a few minor things. Adding 50-100 points in the cut off window? (not that it really mattered considering JJ, Stewart, or Kenseth will be far over that amount by race #27). Adding five spots for eligibility? (possibly to accommodate Toyota and more sponsorships coming on board?)

I can see what your saying about aggressiveness (regarding more points for wins). Alternatively, I still think you'll see a good level of respect and not much would change. If the race ends in green, well, 9 times out of 10, the leader is well over a second or more in the lead. If it's a 2-lap shutout, we already see a big level of aggression (Harvick on Menard a few weeks ago), especially right at the restart and 100% of the guys are doing what they can to win. I don't think you'll a malicious level of aggression simply because "respect" is still the thing in NASCAR and second place cars won't want to (A.) wreck their cars or (B.) serve a black flag for driving aggressively and lost 150 points in the process at the finish. No owner, sponsor or driver wants to take someone out only to have a long running feud which tears up 3-4 more cars.

Just MHO.

But I completely understand what you're saying and there'd probably a few more races being knockout, five cautions in 10 green flags lap fiascos.

A completely unrelated note: TNT is HORRIBLE!