Productive

Experienced 4yr starter

High motor

Intelligent

Fast and Quick

As good against the run as the pass

Working out at both DE and MLB

Leadership qualities

what more could you ask for? (except a bit more height and size)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Draft preview: Pollack isn't perfect, just a player

April 10, 2005

By Clark Judge

CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Georgia end David Pollack isn't the top defensive lineman in this year's NFL Draft. But if you're holding a first-round pick and, say, Wisconsin's Erasmus James and Maryland's Shawne Merriman are off the board, how can you pass on the guy?

David Pollack is earning flattering comparisons to scrappy Tedy Bruschi. (Getty Images)

"You can't," said an NFC scout I know and trust.

James is considered the best of this year's defensive linemen. Merriman is the most intriguing, mostly because he's a perfect fit for anyone that plays a 3-4 defense. But then there's Pollack, and you won't find anyone anywhere with more outstanding credentials.

As a sophomore he was the SEC defensive player of the year and set a school record for sacks in one season. As a junior he was the Hendricks Award winner as the best defensive end in college. As a senior he became only the second player in Georgia history to become a three-time All-American (Herschel Walker was the other); was the SEC defensive player of the year; set a school record for career sacks; won a second Hendricks Award and picked up the Bednarik Award as the nation's best defensive player and the Lombardi Award as its best lineman.

But this is what I like most: In four years as a starter he suffered no major injuries, had 45 consecutive starts and in his senior season was recognized for demonstrating the most hustle and desire during spring practice.

"I saw him three times last year," said our scout, "and every time opponents were double and triple-teaming him. If they weren't blocking him, they were chipping him before releasing downfield. Well, I swear to God, the guy still made the play, and he always did it at the right time. When his team needed a sack, he made the sack; when it needed an interception, he pressured the quarterback into making a bad throw; when it needed a turnover, he forced it.

"I'm telling you, he knows when it's time to make plays, and he knows how to set people up. The kid is one of the most competitive and instinctive players I've seen in a long time."

It's that quality that should have Pollack off the board by the middle of the first round. He would go higher except at 6-feet-2, 265 pounds he lacks the size the pros look for at his position. He is neither as heavy nor as tall as they would like, but don't mention that to his supporters. They know what they see, and what they see is someone our scout likens to New England's Tedy Bruschi -- an impact player who produces monster plays.

Look no farther than the 2005 Outback Bowl for evidence. Pollack was named the game's MVP after he had three sacks, forced a fumble, recovered a fumble and deflected a pass.

"He's as fine a player as you'll find," said our scout.

What makes Pollack's story so compelling is that he stayed at Georgia to complete four years of play. A year ago he considered declaring himself eligible for the draft, just as the University of Miami's Kellen Winslow Jr. and Sean Taylor and Pitt's Larry Fitzgerald had done. But he declined, opting to stay another year while juniors Winslow, Taylor, Fitzgerald, Virginia Tech's Kevin Jones and USC's Kenechi Udeze became first-round picks.

Pollack would have been a first-rounder, too, if he left Georgia, but he didn't -- and he doesn't regret the decision.

"It's the best decision I made in my adult life," he said. "You can't come back and have that college season back again. I learned so much about myself, it's amazing. In just one year I grew up so much more. It was awesome. I learned how to take care of myself a little better. It was a rewarding year."

OK, so when you compare him to the blueprint for a defensive end, you wish Pollack were bigger. You wish he were heavier, too. You wish his reach were longer and, maybe, that he were a little faster. But listen to our scout who studied the guy, interviewed him, then watched him demolish opponents.

"This is the kind of guy you're looking for," he said. "Sure, you'd like to see him 6-5 or 6-6, but guys with his talent and that size are sure Hall of Famers. This kid is going to make someone happy in the middle of the first round. Maybe he won't be a dominant pass rusher, but he's going to be productive because his instincts are off the charts and he gets better as games go on. Would I draft him? In a heartbeat."

..and yes, I am on record in earlier posts in these forums (fora? whatever) as being AGAINST drafting him at 17.

I have come full circle and like either him or his fellow Bulldog Thomas Davis at 17, but I prefer this guy because I think He'll make a greater and more immediate impact on the running defense than TD could.

Anyone else, and I'd say we should try to trade down for value, even if Williamson or Barron were to fall to 17.

I see Spears as out of the picture entirely, due to speed and motivation issues.

TJ,

I really like Pollack and his quickness and attitude -- I hope we take him at 17.

I've watched tapes of ALL the DE candidates and I prefer Pollack.

IMHO He is special and brings an energy level that I'd like to see on the Bengals.

My only reservation at 17 is if one of the special WR is still available when we pick. If that is the case, I begin to think the Bengals may go for the WR.

You never know, some scenarios have all top three WRs (the ones I believe you are referring to) gone by pick 7, others have Williamson lasting until the twenties. I just think that we have good production at WR right now and can afford to wait a year at least to draft another WR, whereas the time is now to improve the defensive line.

I also think a top DE starts by the end of this year, whereas a top WR would not get much play time at all this year. Since the Bengals are at the cusp of playoff appearance, I concern myself much more with the here and now than next year and beyond....

from ESPN.com

For a prospect some scouts have suggested might be too short-armed to replicate his college stardom in the NFL, David Pollack has a reach that typically has been exceeded only by his grasp.

That is, his grasp – or, more accurately, his vise-like grip – on opposing quarterbacks.

He racked up a school-record 36 sacks, fourth-most in SEC history, in four seasons at Georgia. He posted 108 quarterback pressures, and even if that incredible number appears more than a little inflated by the friendly statisticians at Sanford Stadium, halve it and it would still be more than any of the other top defensive ends in the 2005 draft had.

David Pollack could be the first pass rusher off the board.

Pollack routinely authored huge, game-altering plays, as evidenced by four interceptions, seven forced fumbles and three recoveries. Fittingly, he culminated his college career with a quintessential Pollack moment, sacking Wisconsin quarterback John Stocco late in his team's Outback Bowl victory nearly four months ago, stripping the ball, then recovering the fumble at the Georgia 16-yard line to preserve the win.

Uh, did we mention that Pollack is the only two-time winner of the Ted Hendricks award as the nation's premier defensive end?

"I'd like to think that I finished up my career with an exclamation point," Pollack noted at the NFL scouting combine workouts two months ago, in discussing the game-securing play in the Outback Bowl.

True enough. But now, despite a sterling track record and a résumé that has established Pollack as one of the most celebrated defensive players in recent NCAA history, come all the question marks. And while the borderline-cocky Pollack bristles at those who wonder about his ability to transfer his big-play acumen to the NFL, and feigns shock that anyone might doubt him, the questions are justifiable.

Not just about Pollack, but about all the defensive end prospects in this draft, especially given the spotty success rate for first-round selections at the position.

During a career in which he joined the legendary Herschel Walker as Georgia's only three-time consensus All-Americans, Pollack reached for greatness and achieved it. But when it comes to the defensive end position, the term reach has often assumed a different, and far more negative connotation.

In their zeal to secure young edge pass rushers, franchises have consistently reached at the position, dipping down on their draft boards and pulling up lesser-rated prospects, in essence gambling that they might hit on a defender capable of knocking quarterbacks on their backsides. Sometimes the roll of the dice turns up a seven. Just as often, however, the results are snake-eyes.

But if the history of the defensive end position has revealed anything, it is that history keeps repeating itself in the draft, so expect four or five defensive ends to go off the board in the first round on April 23. And expect maybe only two of them to make an immediate impact and, perhaps, even a few to be career washouts.

"Oh, it's definitely a feed frenzy-type position," acknowledged Carolina Panthers general manager Marty Hurney at the combine. "One goes off [the board], then maybe another, and then every franchise that needs [an end] feels like it's got to get one before they run out. So, yeah, historically, you see teams take a lot of chances at the position. As a result, you see some hits and you see some misses."

Hurney and the Panthers made one of the most notable hits of the past several years in 2002 when they chose Julius Peppers with the second overall choice. But for every home run-type end such as Peppers, who has become one of the NFL's most dominant players at his position, there are a lot of strikeouts at end as well.

The litany of defensive end woe includes Courtney Brown, chosen first overall in 2000, who had more games missed to injury than he had sacks during his five seasons with the Cleveland Browns. Andre Wadsworth, the third overall pick in '98 by Arizona, was a supposed double-digit sack threat, but his NFL career was truncated by knee injuries. And how about Jamal Reynolds of Green Bay, the 10th player picked in 2001 and now out of the league?

The first round of the 1999 draft produced Atlanta Falcons standout Patrick Kerney, but also Ebenezer Ekuban (Cowboys), Lamar King (Seahawks) and the troubled Demetrius Underwood (Vikings). At a point when their careers should be peaking, Underwood and King are out of the league. For every Simeon Rice, one of the NFL's top sackers, there is a Cedric Jones, one of the three other ends chosen in the first round in 1996, and pretty much regarded as a bust.

In the last 10 drafts, there have been 37 defensive ends chosen in the first round. Of that group, 14 are no longer in the NFL, 11 are playing with franchises other than the ones that selected them, and two are playing different positions. Only seven of the 37 have made at least one Pro Bowl appearance.

Odds are that the 2005 draft will include its share of first-round defensive ends who do not measure up to their hype. Don't bet against Pollack, though, making a pretty quick impact in the league. Even if some teams remain uncertain about how much Pollack will play at end – some franchises project him as a linebacker, likely in a 3-4 defense, and have auditioned him at that position – nearly everyone agrees that he possesses the right stuff.

“ My eyes are always on the prize. I'm always focused. There are a lot of things in the NFL, I understand, that I won't be able to control. But you can always control your own approach to the game, the [zeal] with which you go out every week, the effort you put out.”

—David Pollack

For sure, there are some concerns about Pollack's size, explosiveness off the ball, and ability to always anchor against the run. But he plays with such a passion, his motor revving high on every snap, that Pollack has been moving steadily up draft boards leaguewide. It seems that teams are again paying more attention to performance than potential, viewing a prospect's body of work and not just his body, period, and few players have registered the kind of numbers that Pollack rung up in four seasons.

Even with some of the alleged misgivings, Pollack still had more career sacks than all but one player in this year's draft, and it is impossible to ignore the relentless manner with which he performs. There are a few end prospects in the '05 talent pool who more closely fit the computer profile for the position. None has demonstrated the kind of heart Pollack brings to the game.

The way Pollack sees things, it is the intangible qualities that have set him apart, and that will serve him well at the next level. He may be short-armed but the confident Pollack will never be accused of being shortsighted.

"It's just the way I've always played," Pollack said. "And it's the way I will continue to play. My eyes are always on the prize. I'm always focused. There are a lot of things in the NFL, I understand, that I won't be able to control. But you can always control your own approach to the game, the [zeal] with which you go out every week, the effort you put out. Believe me, the fire isn't going to burn any less for me [in the NFL], I know."

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

No one seems to be focusing on the fact that some teams are trying out Pollack at MLB. Any thoughts on this? The guy has practically the best lateral quickness in football with a 3.9 Short shuttle - which is the most important measure of speed at the position (and FASTER than Thomas Davis's), he's explosive as hell and has an unbelievable nose for the ball. He'd also be a great 3 down backer because he could instantly convert to rushing end/blitzer. His 40 time is as fast or faster than Crowder's and he'd be an absolute BEAST size-wise for the position. It's hard to ignore the comparisons that some are making to Teddy Bruschi (who was also a converted lineman). I love Davis, but a guy with this motor, tenacity, and big-play aptitude would be hard to stay away from IMO.

No one seems to be focusing on the fact that some teams are trying out Pollack at MLB. Any thoughts on this? The guy has practically the best lateral quickness in football with a 3.9 Short shuttle - which is the most important measure of speed at the position (and FASTER than Thomas Davis's), he's explosive as hell and has an unbelievable nose for the ball. He'd also be a great 3 down backer because he could instantly convert to rushing end/blitzer. His 40 time is as fast or faster than Crowder's and he'd be an absolute BEAST size-wise for the position. It's hard to ignore the comparisons that some are making to Teddy Bruschi (who was also a converted lineman). I love Davis, but a guy with this motor, tenacity, and big-play aptitude would be hard to stay away from IMO.

I was about to start a thread about this myself.

He has indeed been worked out as a LB.

I think he has the instincts and football smarts to excel there.

I'm on the bandwagon too. Give me Pollack or his Georgia teammate Thomas Davis. Two things you can't question about Pollack are his heart and his motor. If he could make the switch to MLB, then we have a steal at 17.

Geoff Hobson, in a reply to an email that I sent him, talked about his reluctance to a projection guy who doesn't have a perfect fit for any one position. He made a comparison to Reinard Wilson, the ultimate insult.

What do you guys think of that comparison?

It's up in the air.  We'll pass on Davis or Pollack like we passed on Buchanan

And lemme guess.......... :rolleyes:

Grab.....

Chandra...Ooops

Chan....Jackie Chan-ning? Damn....hold up....

Chan....ning....Chowder? :angry: Argh! I know this, I swear!

Chan-ning Crow?

Channing Crowder! B)

You'd think I'd know that by now, seeing that you're pimping him harder than Magic Don Juan. :lol:

Channing isnt a first round guy, supposedly he's falling as fast as Ernest Shazor, who might be a 4th rounder, Crowder could go anywher in round 2 or 3, not in the 1st though, theres just too much against him, I personally think he should be drafted higher and if he's there in the 2nd we should take him, not a chance in hell he's our first rounder

Channing isnt a first round guy, supposedly he's falling as fast as Ernest Shazor, who might be a 4th rounder, Crowder could go anywher in round 2 or 3, not in the 1st though, theres just too much against him, I personally think he should be drafted higher and if he's there in the 2nd we should take him, not a chance in hell he's our first rounder

If he's there in the second, I agree... As far as Pollack is concerned, he is one of many that would not hurt my feelings if taken... Nice to have that this year !!!

WHODEY !!!

I think that Pollack is the closest thing to a sure thing at DE in the draft.I like Erasmus James,Matt Roth,and Justin Tuck.I think James and Roth are more intense and may have more upside.But if you are betting (and the Bengals are)the closest thing to a sure thing is Pollack.He may be the closest thing to a sure thing in the draft.This guy lives football the way Chris Spielman used to.I think if he has trouble at DE(which I doubt) he can loose a few pounds and move to any LB spot.He is that kind of guy.The Bengals have gone too long with out a DE that can get to the QB.Pollack has 117 carrer QB presseres,not to mention his sacks and tackles for loss.You dont see too many DE's with 102 tackles for a season.The best thing about Pollack is he has been an impact player disrupting the oppositions offense in all aspects of the game.I do not like Marcus spears at all.He good size but is slow and plodding and reminds me of Duane Clemmons.Spears may end up at DT.The Bengals can't afford a first round bust not with their past record and not with the way Perry has turned out so far.Speaking of first round busts I think you would have to consider Clemons and Justin Smith busts,at least from the sacks perspective.I think you move Smith to the other side and play Pollack in his spot and try Clemons at DT which he may be better suited to play.I think that would help Smith being on the other side and having a sack threat at the opposite end position.On of the things that people that want a LB or whatever else miss is that it doesn't do any good to stop the run only to give a big pass play.With a guy like Pollack he disrupts the oppenents run plays (with TFL's).He creates pressure on the QB which causes interceptions,bad passes,and turnovers.

I would not be too quick to say Smith has been a bust. Containment is not a word used to describe the DL. Smith has not had much help from the DT spot for a guy who reportedly only has "one move" says Trumpy, he seem to get a lot out of it. I like his motor. I can't remember him ever being hurt?

I do not like Marcus spears at all.He good size but is slow and plodding and reminds me of Duane Clemmons.Spears may end up at DT.The Bengals can't afford a first round bust not with their past record and not with the way Perry has turned out so far.Speaking of first round busts I think you would have to consider Clemons and Justin Smith busts....

Please cancel my subscription to your newsletter. ;)