What does everyone see as Perry's role

bengals4ever

What kind of role does everyone see as Perry playing this year? Third and long out of the backfield? Relief for Johnson? I think from what I saw when he was in College... if you can call the school he went to college... he was good at catching the ball out of the backfield. Good balance. Runs hard. I see him on the field in third and long as a swing receiver.

Anyone else on their thoughts on the role Perry will play this year?

WHODEY!

I think initially he'll be utilized as possibly a third down back, then eventually end up splitting the runningback carries with Rudi, if not winning the main job outright.

There's a reason he was the Bengals #1 pick, and if you look at his college stats, you'll see he's a very potent weapon.

I'm hoping the Bengals run a two back offense. It will take alot of pressure off of Carson, and it gives you the added protection of people to pick up the blitz when it comes, and believe me...it WILL be coming! :player:

Rudi will get about 70% of the carries while Perry adds another 20% with your standard QB rushes,reverses,and short-yardage fullback runs making up the other 10%.

If all goes well, statistcally we should see...

1. Rudi go for 1200 yards and 8 touchdowns.

2. Perry run for about 500 yards and 4 touchdowns and a Td or two receiving.

3. The fun part this preseason, will be to see who's going to " really " be the 3rd down back. Either Hicks- who'll be worn out after the NFLEurope season, and Kenny Watson who'll be fresh.

Rudi will get about 70% of the carries while Perry adds another 20% with your standard QB rushes,reverses,and short-yardage fullback runs making up the other 10%.

If all goes well, statistcally we should see...

1. Rudi go for 1200 yards and 8 touchdowns.

2. Perry run for about 500 yards and 4 touchdowns and a Td or two receiving.

3. The fun part this preseason, will be to see who's going to " really " be the 3rd down back. Either Hicks- who'll be worn out after the NFLEurope season, and Kenny Watson who'll be fresh.

Sounds right to me.

BTW I think Perry will be like Eddie George - not much of an average, but like George, a player that will convert several critical 3rd downs per game.

Let's not forget to include Skips Hicks into the equation...

From Bengals.com

Bengals running back Skip Hicks, who led NFL Europe in rushing and touchdowns, couldn't get it going in World Bowl XII Saturday when his Frankfurt Galaxy lost the NFL Europe title, 30-24, to the Berlin Thunder at the Arena AufSchalke in Gelsenkirchen, Germany. Hicks finished with 19 yards on eight carries and caught two passes for four yards. But he barely has time to think about it because he plans to jet here in time for the Bengals’ final on-field coaching session this Tuesday through Thursday.

I still think the Bengals keep 5 rbs counting the fb like last year. So far Perry's role has been getting helped off the field but he should compete in all facets--starter against Rudi, special teams with Hicks, 3rd and long with Watson, and 3rd and short with Rudi and Hicks.

Being a first rounder and all, I sure hope so.

I don't see why everyone keeps saying that Perry is more of an inside the tackles runner. The guy has 4.5 speed, and produced several long runs at Michigan. The thing best describes him though is his feet. Great Balance, always falls forward, but can stop on a dime and turn. Makes very strong cuts, and will leave the game with a better rushing per yard average than Eddie George trust me.

Both are tough as nails, take a pounding and Perry often times ran straight up the middle (he pissed me off when they played OSU). I hated Perry at the time and can't say I like him now.. but I respect him for being a Bengal.

I don't think there is much comparison either, however, I can see why anyone would say that. There are definitely similarities (but not much)..

I don't see why everyone keeps saying that Perry is more of an inside the tackles runner. The guy has 4.5 speed, and produced several long runs at Michigan. The thing best describes him though is his feet. Great Balance, always falls forward, but can stop on a dime and turn. Makes very strong cuts, and will leave the game with a better rushing per yard average than Eddie George trust me.

Probably because MeatChicken ran a power game between the tackles. I think that's Lloyd Carr's Offense and since Perry is good at that kind of style--then why not say that???

I know it might sound sac religious, but the guy Perry reminds me of most is Emmit Smith. The feet, vision, and ablity to make the first guy miss.

Humm. Never really thought of that.. I think we'll have to see how Perry plays against the NFL (not based off his college career) to see how he'll fit into the mold.

Welcome to the board Brian.. hopefully we'll see you around here more. :)

I know it might sound sac religious, but the guy Perry reminds me of most is Emmit Smith. The feet, vision, and ablity to make the first guy miss.

Actually looking at the drafts top 3 this year and comparing them to modern day runners I thought

1. Steven Jackson reminded me of Terrell Davis. Both very straight hard runners. Some might say, Rickey Williams, but if you watch the films, you'll swear ( TD ) was wearing that # 34 .

2. Kevin Jones reminds me of Fred Taylor. Great quickness, elusive, and has similiar knees !

3. Our newest Bengal, Chris Perry reminds me of Curtis " My favorite " Martin ! Look at the running styles. Even how they hold the ball while running and I swear Perry looks like Curtis Martin.

* Like I stated during the draft, The real value of Chris Perry vs. Steven Jackson will be weighed by how successful Stacey Andrews becomes. If Perry and Andrews both develop into productive or elite pros' then Marvin and Co. did a great job !

- But if we flounder on them and Steven Jackson turns into the 1400 + a year guy he looks to be, then I'll be the first to say - You don't pass on the best back in the draft at # 24 to draft the 3rd best to pick up only an extra 4th rounder !!! :angry:

Chris Perry was the most complete RB in the draft IMO. RB depth in this league is very important, and if anything happens to Johnson, Perry can carry the load. He showed that at Michigan. I think he has excellent vision and is a "tough as nails" runner. I was surprised by the pick, though.

at first i was not happy with the pick, but then i remembered the ohio st game last year when perry ran all over one of the best defenses in college ball in what both teams consider the biggest game of the season.

also, perry seems like a level-headed kid with a good work ethic, all things that fit into marvin's system. should be interesting to see how he pans out.