Bengals hire former Raider coach

From the Bengals official website:

Bengals hire Bresnahan

5/9/2004 - 5-9-04, 7:30 a.m.

Updated: 5-9-04, 4:40 p.m.

BY GEOFF HOBSON

After working the five rookie minicamp practices this weeknd, former Raiders defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan signed a one-year contract Sunday to help the Bengals coach their defense. Bresnahan indicated it would at first probably be working on third-down packages.

“Chuck will be a great addition to our staff,” said Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis. “We’ll utilize his talents in a lot of different areas. He’ll not only assist our defensive coaches, he’ll also help the offensive coaches in the breakdown and analysis of the opponent’s defense.”

Bresnahan, 43, has been an NFL coach since 1994. He spent 1994-95 with Cleveland, moved to Indianapolis for the 1996-97 seasons, and was with Oakland from 1998 through last season. He was defensive backs coach for his first two Oakland seasons before taking over as defensive coordinator in 2000. His 2002 defense ranked third in the NFL against the run as the Raiders won the AFC Championship.

He said the Bengals were his No. 1 choice in a decision he narrowed to Cincinnati and Denver. With a year left on his Raider contract, Bresnahan said the Bengals are going to pick up the difference in his salary.

Well, one of the biggest knocks against the old Bengals was lack of coaching. I don't thing it'll be a problem with the Marvin Lewis Bengals. Also, much like you know Brat is gonna feel pressure having one former offensive coordinator, and one future coordinator underneath him, Frazier is gonna feel the same with Bresnahan(former), and Hunley(future) coach underneath him as well....Damn, depth at player postions, and now depth at coaching spots as well.

I'm surprised that more people aren't specualting on the long term affects this could have for the team and what this hiring implies.

I said at the end of last season that Lewis wasn't happy with the performance of the defense, and that if getting new players didn't do the trick that coaches and ultimately the coordinator would pay for it with their jobs. I think this move was made to push the coaches et al to do a better job and have a replacement in place if they don't respond.

Just speculation, but this is a pretty high profile guy to be kept as an assitant position coach or consultant. Lewis was asked about it the other day and kind of dodged it, saying the " we'll cross that bridge when we get to it ." As for Bresnahan .... he's already saying that he wants to stay here forever. There's more to this than meets the eye.

There's more to this than meets the eye.

You sir, are very correct...

We were calling for his firing for the past three seasons, because it just seemed that he didn't get the hint. He made some very questionable decisions on the defense...things that just didn't make sense.

Penalties were a nightmare, to include ridiculous personal foul calls. We broke our own NFL record for the most penalties in a season two of the last three years!!!

Good luck with Bres...you'll need it. Besides, you do have Marvin Lewis to keep an eye on him.

There's more to this than meets the eye.

You sir, are very correct...

We were calling for his firing for the past three seasons, because it just seemed that he didn't get the hint. He made some very questionable decisions on the defense...things that just didn't make sense.

Penalties were a nightmare, to include ridiculous personal foul calls. We broke our own NFL record for the most penalties in a season two of the last three years!!!

Good luck with Bres...you'll need it. Besides, you do have Marvin Lewis to keep an eye on him.

" Besides, you do have Marvin Lewis to keep an eye on him. "

That could be very relevant. Could be comparable to Le Beau going back to Pittsburgh to work for Cowher ?? Cohwer ??? that doesn't look right ..... I just don't think he was brought here to be a " 3rd down consultant ". If he was, I don't think he'd be that wild about being here either.

You have to remember that we had Le Beau for several years and anything by comparison is going to look good. Another factor is Al Davis. Everybody talks about how Mike Brown sticks his nose in the team and screws things up ....... ask Marcus Allen about Davis' input and the results.

You guys let one guy go to Denver and while I'm not a fan, he's not doing too bad .... and you let another one go to Tampa Bay and he's not doing too bad either. Maybe Bresnahan just needed a change of scenery like Corey Dillon. Oh .... sorry ... probably a bad choice for an analogy huh.