A New Era Dawns

rwalling

First, Mr. Fruit returns to town and allows us to take Uncle Carl (no lie he's a distant relative) and the Reds off life support.

Then, said Mr. Fruit doesn't hire a crony (Ned Beatty err Jim Beattie), but rather gets the most qualified small-market baseball expert, Mr. Crispy, err Krivsky.

Then, they don't trade the best young professional hitter on the team (Kearns) for another teams junk pitching.

FINALLY, I got Opening Day tickets for the first time in years without having to buy them on EBay. :excited: My best friend and I have been going since we were 16 (ah the Eddie Milner, Dan Billardello, Frank Pastore era, I miss those days!) :cheers: Having to buy tickets from a ticket broker or worse yet a CUBS FAN on EBay really p!ssed me off. :chair:

I fearlessly predict that the winds of change that swept over Bungles nation when Marvin signed on are blowing over my beloved RedLegs.

Yeah that is what we said about Dan O'Brein.....

Sigh.

I don't believe this new guy is going to do any better. It is hard to compete with such a tiny salary cap like what we got now with the big boys(i.e. Mets, Yanks, Red Tampons, Cards).

I foresee that the Reds are going to finish in last this year, and maybe for 5-6 years down the road as well.

Baseball in Cincinnati has died, and its going to take major life support to save it.

Baseball in Cincinnati has died, and its going to take major life support to save it.

I hate to break it to you guys this way, but baseball has died, and it's not just in Cincinnati. It's dead across the board. Killed by the complete and utter skewering of the record books due to steroid use by players, and incredibly poor direction and accountability by the league office.

Until the records of the 'Roid users are expunged from the books, and Pete Rose is fully inducted to the Hall Of Fame, I for one will never watch a MLB game again. I started this last season, and I didn't miss it one bit!

Having to buy tickets from a ticket broker or worse yet a CUBS FAN on EBay really p!ssed me off.

I too bought something from a Cubs fan on eBay. I bet Skyline would love one of these!

cdavematthews7ps.jpg

I'll always root for the Reds and hope they do well every year, but Baseball in general is NOT the sport I use to enjoy so much. Seems kind of sad coming from a fan of the first MLB team... Oh well.

WHODEY !!!

Agreed...I'll still watch the Reds, and support them. I hope they do well, and I'll go see a couple of games a year.

Still, it'll be viewed by me as little more than a diversion until football season starts up again.

• 2 weeks later...

B) Red ( sic ) an article the other day in the Enquirer ... on line of course, but I try to keep up as much as possible.

Anyway ... seems a BUNCH of people were camping out ( literally ) waiting for Reds tickets to go on sale. A police officer walked over and told several of them that they would have to move their cars. When they did, another bunch tried to grab their places in line. Dam near had a riot on their hands till they got it straightened out.

Billy ... Army .... Sky ........ If baseball is indeed dead, then it seems a lot of people in Cincy are unaware of that fact. They still seem pretty passionate to me. Especially given last years record ... along with one pr gaff after another. Last years opening day sold out in 12 minutes by the way. Compare that to Coach Lewis imploring people not to give their tickets to stealer fans, and you have a pretty good case for baseball being alive and well .... in Cincinnati anyway.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the new ownership. He's not only saying the right things ..... He deep sixed O' Brien and took Allen down a couple of pegs all on the first morning :sure: . Put a winning team back on that field and baseball is going to be a lot more than a diversion till football season rolls around. Put another Series trophy in the Reds trophy case and the whole tri state area will go nuts. Just like with the Bengals ... there's a lot of Reds fans that are staying away because they're tired of watching them get hammered day in and day out. Give 'em a reason, and they'll come back in DROVES.

The Great American Ballpark ............ Jeez .... You've even gotta love the name. :cheers::cheers:

I'm done now B)