Ultimate Bengals Draft.

WretchedOne

Round 1: Jonathan Joseph - CB - South Carolina. - 5-11/190.

0f08g997.jpg

Player Info:

- Joseph is quickly and quietly moving up a lot of boards while still being overshadowed by Ko Simpson. Joseph has been timed with a sub 4.4 - 40. He has excellet speed and recovery time. He led the Gamecocks with 4 or 5 interceptions in 2005. He is also a very sound tackler who will support the run. Joseph rarely lets a play get behind him, if ever. He excels in man coverage and does a solid job jamming his reciver at the line.

- He's a ballhawk who's athletic and fast, Marvin has a hard on for these types of players.

Team Impact:

- Tory James will most likely not be a Bengal in 2006. He's getting older, slower and very expensive. Not a good combo. We need a replacement. Rashad Bauman will also be a FA in March. Ratliff and Jospeh battle it out in TC and the loser is the back-up. Deltha starts on the other side with Greg Brooks/Partick Body backing up.

Round 2: Donte Whitner - SS - OSU - 5-11/205.

ohjl10209031802.widec.jpg

Player Info:

- Whitner is a film room junkie and NFL players who spend their lives in the film room become legends. Whiter is more than stout in both pass coverage and run support. He makes the sure tackle and wraps up his opponent, he can also hit like a Mac truck at times. Had an outstanding 2005 season and had he stayed in school he could have easily been a first rounder in 2007.

Team Impact:

- I think Marvin is going to bring in a FA Saftey, someone like Tank Williams. To have a great secondary you need to have 3 good safties. Williams, Williams and Whitner will be a VERY formidable force. The 4th spot is wide open for any of the safties on the roster but I'd expect it to be Kase.

Round 3: KW Comp. Tim Day - TE - Oregon - 6-4/264.

175346.jpg

Player Info:

-In 2004 caught 8 TDs but production dropped to "0" in 2005. Some say he struggled in a new offense. Day is a big, imposing TE who can run you over. His pass cathcing skills are unquestioned but his blocking leaves something to be desired. But thats all right, blocking can be taught, soft hands can't. If he can learn to block well he should solve our TE problems.

Team Impact:

- Chris Henry was a luxury, luxuries are expendable. Reggie Kelly is a force in our run game but Schobel and Stewart are probably gone. Day can come in and contribute right away in the passing game and he'll make us forget all about Chris Henry. We're still as deadly, if not deadlier with CJ, TJ and TD

Round 3: Eric Henderson - DT - Georgia Tech - 6-3/265.

ericHenderson_ACC.jpg

Player Info:

- Career Stats: 59.5 TFLs, 176 TTs, 25 sacks, 7 FFs, 8 PBUs. Henderson is TERROR against the run. He has amazing hands and strong arms which enables him to shed blocks quickly. Eric is a very intelligent player and student, winning numerous academic awards. He has a tremendous work ethic and is always striving to better his game. Henderson had great pass rush potential once he has a NFL quality D-line helping him.

Team Impact:

- Justin Smith will be a FA in 2006 and he may want to much money. I say let him go, he's a renegade and plays his own game sometimes. Henderson can be groomed to take over his spot once Justin leaves. The fact that Powell is a FA in March and Clemons probably won't be here make DE somewhat of a need.

Round 4: Nick Reid - OLB - Kansas - 6-4/230.

fball_nick_reid.jpg

Player Info:

- It's been reported that Marvin and Co. is looking at smaller LBs who can cover. Reid is Marvin's man in the 4th. Reid is a total ballhawk, he's got the speed to keep up with WRs and is tall enough to match up with bigger TEs. Reid is a hard hitter and you won't go far after he hits you. He is in constant attack mode and is always looking for someone to level. A bit of "sleeper".

Team Impact:

- Reid definately has the talent to become a star in the NFL, and will probably become one. I'd like to see us re-sign Nate Webster long term and use Tory and Brian Simmons in a trade for a extra draft pick or 2. Webster is still young and seems to have gotten himself healthy, he could be a huge contributer on D in 2006, more than Simmons. How does Pollack - Thurman - Webster sound as starting LBs? With Miller, Johnson and Reid as backups.

Round 5: Montavious Stanley - DT - Lousiville - 6-2/321.

i9h6s6xa.jpg

Player Info:

- Marvins attraction Stanley will be his shot-put and discus history. We've already got one player with the same kind of experience...Stacey Andrews. Remember those rumore of Andrews at DT...Stanley would be like putting a smaller Andrews clone at DT. Stanley has the rare ability to BOTH stop the run and rush the passer. He almost commands a double team as blocking him 1 on 1 is nearly impossible. Stanley also posses the kind of motor Marvin covets. He's an all out hustle guy who will go sideline to sideline. This is a player with a passion for the game.

Team Impact:

- Unlike most, I don't believe DT is a sore spot...AT ALL. We have 3 guys right now who are capable starters, why would you waste a 1st round pick on another? Only 2 can start. I believe that Shaun Smith will take over one starting role. Smith gained a lot of confidence during the last half of the season and will hopefully take proper care of himself this offseason. Our D improved dramatically when he stepped in. Askew is rumored to be IRATE about his playing situation and I think Marvin did it on purpose. Now Askew is properly motivated. He'll be a force in TC and earn himself a starting role next to Smith with BR in the rotation. I don't see JT here in 2006 either.

Round 6: Tre' Stallings - OT - Mississippi - 6-4/317.

236297.jpg

Player Info:

- This is has been a very solid performer for a number of years during college. He knows how to keep his man engaged and not let him past. He is also good in space and good at blocking 2nd level defensive players.

Team Impact:

- We're actually quite stocked with Guards and could probably use a Tackle more. I don't understand ANY Center talk at all. We've to Guy-Check and Wilkerson, one of those 2 is the future, The other can be moved to Guard and used as a Center in emergency sitaution.

Round 7: Anthony Montgomery - DT - Minnesota - 6-5/315.

Montgomery%20Anthony%20076.jpg

Player Info:

-I feel bad for this player. He has tremendous talent yet no one sees it. He is a player that is great, who is stuck on a really s**tty team. This player COMMANDS a double team and will most certianly beat 1 on 1 blocks. Montgomery is extremely athletic, having played Basketball, Baseball and TE, DE, QB, DB, LB, DT positions in football. AM is as strong as an ox, and comes through the line like one too. Montgomery falls this far because he was not invited to either the Senior Bowl OR the combine.

Team Impact:

- Marvin bends a little with his DT philospshy and instead will now go for the most athletic 315+ LB guy he can find. AM really DOES have 1st round talent and Marvin will use this "shunning" to motivate AM. He'll come into camp with a chip on his shoulder and the world to prove wrong.

I understand that this is meant to be an ideal draft, and that is reflected in the selections. I personally expect both J. Joseph and D. Whittner to go a round later than you predict, and A. Montgomery to be a middle rounder. i'm not sure Day will last to the third round, and as a player I am not overly impressed. I could be wrong, but isn't he one of the "can't block anybody" guys? I'd prefer a more balanced tight end. I think we'll grab a defensive end somewhere in there as well, rather than three different defensive tackles.

I like selecting Whitner and Stallings. Prolly a round later than you have them.

James Joseph at 24 would be a gigantic reach. He is very good but that is above and beyond where he should be selected.

henderson would be great if we got him.

I see your mock re-shuffled like this

1. Youboty - if you must take a CB this early, then take one who faced Pro-style offenses and had success.

2. Whitner - slight reach here, as there are several S out there who all have theri own styles, strengths.

3. TE - I'll take a TE on day one. Day, Klopfenstein, may still be around. Thing is I'd rather have one of the top TE's early and grab rom the deep CB field at r3. Maybe r1 - Lewis r2 - Whitner r3 - Anwar phillips, Jennings or Blackmon.

4. DE- henderson could be great

5. LB Reid - sounds good - a WR may also make sense...how about Brandon Marshall out of UCF???

6. OG - Stallings would be a steal in r6

7. DT - Montgomery...his stiock will rise after the combine...he wil be a 3-5th rounder. A QB may be good in r7...maybe a guy like Barrick Nealy, big, strong mobile and tough.

Jospeh has 2.5 months to improve his stock, 2.5 months. If he runs a sub 4.4 40 at the combine you can almost count him in as a 1st rounder. Joseph can be taught to cover (he won't need to be cause he's a monster in coverage as it is) but you just can't teach sub 4.4 speed in a CB. The fact that he can cover will only make him more appealing. He's a burner who can cover and there are NO questions about those 2 FACTS.

Usually the top 4-5 CBs go in the first, and Joseph is already in the top 5. If we want Jospeh we'll HAVE to take him in the first cause he ain't gonna last until the late 2nd.

With the combine and pro days still coming, I really see Jospeh evelvating his stock more to become a 1st round pick.

Number of 1st round CBs. 2000-3, 2001-3, 2002-4, 2003-3, 2004-4, 2005-5.

I'm not that far off with Jospeh, expecially considering the amount of time he has to raise his stock.

Look what ONE WEEK did for Gabe Watson.

I think the Whitner pick is perfect in the late 2nd. Dude could have been a 1st rounder in 2007 had he stayed in school. You have to remember... we're picking in the LATE 2nd round. Bing, Huff, Williams, and Simpson will all be gone by the time we pick in the LATE 2nd.

Greg Blue would be the kind of Saftey to go after in the 3rd. Whitner is a million times better than Blue so why would Whitner drop that far?

Whinter will be gone in the late 2nd and will NEVER see round 3.

The only knock on Day is about his blocking, at a lot of top TE prospects have the SAME knocks on them, in some cases, even worse. Day can still block, he just needs to get better. Some of those other TEs blocking skills are NON-EXISTANT.

The average #6th ranked TE goes somewhere in the third, go look though that past 5 drafts and thats what the average is. Usally the 5th to 7th TEs taken in the draft are taken in the 3rd. Day will be there in the 3rd, especially with all the talent in the draft.

If 3 TE's go in the 1st and 3 more in the 2nd, Day will be sitting pretty for us in the 3rd. Thats not say that Fasano or Klop won't fall into 3, if they do they'll be looked at as well. I'd be happy with Day, Fasano or Klop in the 3rd.

I don't think Youboty is anything special, he's decent but he's more living off the past OSU CB names like Clements and Gamble. Youboty is not as solid as those 2 were coming out of college, I wouldn't be surprised to see him fall into the early 2nd.

Montgomery was NOT invited to the SENIOR BOWL or the COMBINE, he's not gonna go in the middle rounds because of it.

You guys HAVE to remember that Marvin is very unconventional when it comes to the draft and you never know where he is going to go. You also need to remember that Marvin will make the risky picky and dosen't care what the pundits think.

I try and do my Mocks from the standpoint that I AM Marvin Lewis.

Jospeh has 2.5 months to improve his stock, 2.5 months. If he runs a sub 4.4 40 at the combine you can almost count him in as a 1st rounder. Joseph can be taught to cover (he won't need to be cause he's a monster in coverage as it is) but you just can't teach sub 4.4 speed in a CB. The fact that he can cover will only make him more appealing. He's a burner who can cover and there are NO questions about those 2 FACTS.

Usually the top 4-5 CBs go in the first, and Joseph is already in the top 5. If we want Jospeh we'll HAVE to take him in the first cause he ain't gonna last until the late 2nd.

This is the precise definition of a "reach". He would not be the BPA at 24 and would not address the drastic issues at TE, Safety or the D-line. Tell me why we would take any CB who would be a reach before we take the BPA who also would address a bigger need?

As far as his speed and ability, if you remember Patrick Body ran like a 4.27 at the combine, is 6'2 195 and all he needs to do is learn to "cover" and was an undrafted FA....I am not looking so much to find the workout champion at the combine. It is a good measuring stick but not the only measure. I also look at the players team, the scheme they played, thier schedule (W-L), level of competition, performance in big games, injuries, etc....so much more than just combine numbers.

Debating Youboty is valid. He was lights out vs a higher level of competition than Joseph. The combine just gets all the raw numbers on a spreadsheet. he will compare very well with Joseph, Williams, etc. He is a r1 player. I'd prefer Youboty, all combine stats equal, over joseph since he is proven vs a hihger level of competition.

I like the Whitner pick. The combine will shuffle the S ratings, just you watch. Whitner could fall solely on the stats (does not mean its right).

The difference this year with the TE's is it is much deeper. Day would be servicable and not a terrible pick.

If Montegomery falls out of r4, I will be very surprised.

If it was not for the NFL draft, this would be the worst time of year.