Randy Starks

I don't see why any defensive lineman can't switch among other line positions. The same with linebackers moving from inside to out, and defensive backs being interchangeable. Except maybe safety. I want a David Fulcher type hitter there!

Actually, to answer the question.. I'd have to say No...he's not built to play that position.. he's more squatty ..He may be quick , but he's a wrestler, not a finesse guy , which is really what the End does.

In college at Maryland, Starks made his reputation for being a hard nosed-nose tackle in the Terrapins 3-4 alignment. He consistently beat traps,with his quickness, and his strength and ability to shed against the double teams , is a reason why his stock is so high as a interior lineman.

There are questions about his straight line speed, but he's a "at the point of attack" type player that has the strength to play 2-gap technique, and the quickness to play our 1-gap technique..

Most mock drafts have him going anywhere between the 14th to the 25th. There is that possibility that if New England wanted to trade up from 21 to 17 to get a running back , we could trade down, and still get him if we wanted to.

I don't see why any defensive lineman can't switch among other line positions. The same with linebackers moving from inside to out, and defensive backs being interchangeable. Except maybe safety. I want a David Fulcher type hitter there!

I think on the d-line there's a huge difference. For instance, the defensive tackles, in most schemes, are required to hit a gap and sit. Make sure you clog up the running lane so the stars can make the tackles. You aren't required to sack the QB, pushing lineman back into the pocket is a bonus, but not required. The Gilbert Browns, Ted Washingtons, Keith Traylor are good examples of defensive tackles.

However, on defensive ends, they have two jobs; contain and pressure. A rushing play, the defensive end is supposed to lock up with the tackle at the C gap (in most schemes, the outside shoulder of the tackle) and contain the outside to prevent sweeps, outside whams, or anything to the outside. This is why, I think Justin Smith had his best season to date, because he worked against the run the best since he's come into the league. And of course, the DE has to pressure the QB.

To add to what Chris said, DE not only are more finesse, but they are a ton more athletic. Look at Jason Taylor, he looks nothing like a defensive lineman, yet he's one of the best in the business because he never allows RBs to his outside, and he's quick enough to get around the big uglies.

I really think the two positions are different mindsets.

Does all of that junk kinda make sense?

There's a difference for LBs as well. MLBs are usually more queued toward stopping the inside run, and blitzing up the gut, and also call out plays and changes AFAIK. OLBs are going to be doing more contain stuff, whether it's keeping a running play inside or shadowing the flats.

Both will probably do alot of zone coverage, but LBs are getting tasked more and more to play the deep middle zone with the Tampa-style Cover 2 becoming more prominent.

That's one thing I find interesting about picking up Nate Webster for MLB. I've always thought the OLBs should be the smaller ones, working to contain and slow down the runner so that others can come and finish off the tackle. But if Ray Lewis can be so dominant running around like a wild man, and Webster is in that mold, I guess we should just wait and see.

That's one thing I find interesting about picking up Nate Webster for MLB. I've always thought the OLBs should be the smaller ones, working to contain and slow down the runner so that others can come and finish off the tackle. But if Ray Lewis can be so dominant running around like a wild man, and Webster is in that mold, I guess we should just wait and see.

When are you guy's gonna realize it ain't the size of the player! it's the size of the players HEART! No MLB has a bigger heart than Ray Lewis!

and no middle linebacker has a bigger mouth either...lol

oh .. HEy Ray.. I didn't see you there.....

Umm... what's with the knife RAY...?

I was just Joking...? no .REally..ugh.......................................... :ph34r:

Here that's a crack up line, over at Ravens Talk it would send 'em into conniptions!! :lol:

I wanna know when they're gonna draft an office linebacker to keep fools in check.

"Corey, stop whining!" *smash*

"Mike, let Marvin make the decisions!" *wham*

Yeah! A Terry Tate kinda dude just layin' 'em out, then standin' over their prone, unconcious asses yellin' smack in their faces!! :lol:

That's one thing I find interesting about picking up Nate Webster for MLB.  I've always thought the OLBs should be the smaller ones, working to contain and slow down the runner so that others can come and finish off the tackle.  But if Ray Lewis can be so dominant running around like a wild man, and Webster is in that mold, I guess we should just wait and see.

When are you guy's gonna realize it ain't the size of the player! it's the size of the players HEART! No MLB has a bigger heart than Ray Lewis!

and youre forgetting Zach Thomas of the Dolphins I might add.....similar size

I understand that the size of the heart is very important, but quite honestly we don't know the size of Nate's. Do any of you really remember ever seeing him play for long enough to get a good judgement on him?

That's not to say that I doubt him, or that I've heard bad things, because I haven't, but so far all I've got to go on are opinions that vary and/or are biased, stats that are skewed because he doesn't start and subpar physical stature. Am I saying he can't be good? Of course not. But I don't have enough proof of yet to convince me he is.