Is anyone going to discuss the game itself?

Paul Robinson

X’s and O’s aside, I think there are three keys to this (and every NFL?) game:

(1) 3rd down %

(2) Turnover differential

(3) Field position differential

In the 1st game they both tied on #1 and #2, and the Steelers won #3 by almost 20 yards. In the 2nd game #1 was tied again, but we clearly won #2 4-0 and #3 by 11 yards. So, win two of these three and you’ve got a winner.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the bengals are going to play the pass and try and stop Roth instead of playing the run huh.. no chance .. they'll go 8 in the box and he'll go uptop immediately to exploit the Bengals miserable safties

That would be the lesser of two evils -- stop the run first and foremost. Except for obvious passing situations, where I would hope to see some three-man fronts ala New Engald in last year's AFC title game to keep Big Ben contained in a pocket and force him to throw inside of it. He looks a lot less comfortable throwing in a pocket than he does going mobile.

So the bengals are going to play the pass and try and stop Roth instead of playing the run huh.. no chance .. they'll go 8 in the box and he'll go uptop immediately to exploit the Bengals miserable safties

That would be the lesser of two evils -- stop the run first and foremost. Except for obvious passing situations, where I would hope to see some three-man fronts ala New Engald in last year's AFC title game to keep Big Ben contained in a pocket and force him to throw inside of it. He looks a lot less comfortable throwing in a pocket than he does going mobile.

Last year at this time I would have agreed to that, but right now he looks very comfortable no matter where he's at. I believe he is a little more comfotrable on the move, but if you want to force him to throw from the pocket... be careful what you wish for.

Last year at this time I would have agreed to that, but right now he looks very comfortable no matter where he's at. I believe he is a little more comfotrable on the move, but if you want to force him to throw from the pocket... be careful what you wish for.

I have no doubt that Ben can do some damage through the air, but I will take my chances with that over getting the Bus and Fast Willy rammed down their throat. It's pretty simply really. The team that imposes their style of play on the other is going to win the game. I like our chances in a shootout, although they have to find a way to slow Ward down a bit. Henry needs to get over his case of the drops. Just say no Chris!

It's a shame that this game has to happen so early. I would have liked to have seen this game later on down the line, but the Patriots obviously didn't want any part of you either. By the way, that baby tiger is TOO CUTE!

A couple of thoughts brought up by a listener on a local radio station.

The Steelers needed to win every game to get in. They also played most of their starters the whole game against Detroit. Did the Steelers expend themselves just getting to the playoffs? Are they suffering from fatigue?

Meanwhile the Bengals won the division on December 18th and were able to rest some guys last week. Are the Bengals getting healthy at the right time and are guys rested and refreshed?

I thought it was an interesting point of view considering all of the talk about momentum, etc.

Well, I've just got this funny feeling that, given the defense has only one td this year (int by Thurman), and no punt or kickoff returns ... well ... one td for the bengals is coming by one of the following ways:

* Fumble return for TD

* Kick-off return for TD

* Punt return for TD

Just a feeling. Something has to give ... big play ... 7 points.

Its going to be a shootout , most play off games are. So Id say Ben can put about 28 pointsup. Palmer will put up 35.

Bengals 35-28

Sorry bro... I completely disagree with this point of view. Most games are not shootouts in the playoffs, quite the opposite in fact. Solid defense and a balanced offense wins championships. I'll be very surprised if either team gets over 30 points. Your defense is gonna get you in trouble.

Solid defense and a balanced offense wins championships.

This has been the recent cliché, and I think it comes to an end this year. None of the defenses in the AFC playoffs this year are very menacing. Indy and Pittsburgh both had a good statistical defensive season, but their weaknesses on that side of the ball are easily identifiable and exploitable with the right offensive gameplan.

Solid defense and a balanced offense wins championships.

This has been the recent cliché, and I think it comes to an end this year. None of the defenses in the AFC playoffs this year are very menacing. Indy and Pittsburgh both had a good statistical defensive season, but their weaknesses on that side of the ball are easily identifiable and exploitable with the right offensive gameplan.

I can't think of the last time a team with a terrible defense even played in the super bowl. You don't need a dominant defense, but a solid one for sure. It's not a cliche, it's a pattern that's been going on for a very long time.

Two Questions for you...

If it's so easy to exploit Indy and Pittsburgh's defense then why are they both among the leagues best?

What do you think it takes to win the superbowl?

I have no doubt that Ben can do some damage through the air, but I will take my chances with that over getting the Bus and Fast Willy rammed down their throat. It's pretty simply really. The team that imposes their style of play on the other is going to win the game.

Once again I'll argue that the best chance for prevailing inspite of the poor Bengal defense is attacking the opposing passing game with increased stunting, blitzing, and tighter coverage in the secondary. Turn it loose. Crowding the box with an extra defender or two while playing soft zones may reduce the beating your ego takes watching the Bengals struggle defending the run, but the key to the Bengals imposing their will and dictating the style of play in this game, means scoring plenty of points and forcing the Steelers to abandon their own runnning game despite whatever success they may be having.

Screw the Bus. Take your chances with Parker. But get after Ben, and don't flinch when they hit on a big pass play or two. Make them try to keep up with what the Bengals are doing on offense. Take their breath away....and get the crowd into the game.

I have no doubt that Ben can do some damage through the air, but I will take my chances with that over getting the Bus and Fast Willy rammed down their throat. It's pretty simply really. The team that imposes their style of play on the other is going to win the game.

Once again I'll argue that the best chance for prevailing inspite of the poor Bengal defense is attacking the opposing passing game with increased stunting, blitzing, and tighter coverage in the secondary. Turn it loose. Crowding the box with an extra defender or two while playing soft zones may reduce the beating your ego takes watching the Bengals struggle defending the run, but the key to the Bengals imposing their will and dictating the style of play in this game, means scoring plenty of points and forcing the Steelers to abandon their own runnning game despite whatever success they may be having.

Screw the Bus. Take your chances with Parker. But get after Ben, and don't flinch when they hit on a big pass play or two. Make them try to keep up with what the Bengals are doing on offense. Take their breath away....and get the crowd into the game.

I absolutely agree. Make this into a 'big play' game. If it's a game of big plays, then we win. We surely have the weapons on offense to make the big plays, and they can from time to time, but never repeatedly to the ability of our offensive players. Here it comes ... blah blah blah ... "Hines can do it!" "El will show you!" "Willie around the corner!". Anyone watching football all year knows that, if it comes to big plays, you would rather have Palmer, Chad, TJ, Henry, and Rudi. Duh.

But that's only part of the equation. Next you have the big plays on defense. They should win that battle, but not to the degree from years past. They are not the same defense that they were a year or two ago. This defense is younger, and can be had. Teams with any degree of offense have put up points on this defense.

So ... big plays ... we win. No big plays ... well, I don't like our chances.

Again ... if we stick 8 in the box, over and over (like the Dec game), then we force them into attempting big plays. That feeds into our hands. That would make me happy.