Is anyone going to discuss the game itself?

Paul Robinson

I'm new to the board, and I haven't seen a post about the upcoming playoff game itself. No discussion of match-ups, opinions on gameplanning, strengths & weaknesses, nothing remotely related to football. Just a lot of "Steeler fans are idiots, there is a changing of the guard in the AFC North," etc, etc.

Here is my two cents worth. There is no secret to the Steelers gameplan, establish the run, mix in some play action passes, get an early lead, and win the time of possession battle. No secret on the Bengals' side either--score early and often, force the Steelers to try to match them score for score. At the end of the day, if Ben R has attempted 25-30 passes, the Bengals will have won easily.

Conventional wisdom says the Bengals should be able to exploit the Steeler pass defense, especially if they come out with a 4 WR set and go no huddle. The Steelers will counter with the 2-3-6 formation they used with some success against the Colts, but less so against the Bengals in the lat meeting. The key for Palmer will be to recognize where the blitz is coming from and making sure the receivers are on the same page as him.

When the Steelers have the ball, the Bengals must tackle well, force the Steelers into 3rd and long situations, and disguise coverage schemes well. Follow #35, because #39 will be right behind him.

Prediction: 23-17 Steelers. I just don't see the Bengals stopping the run well enough to get the Steelers out of their comfort zone. A Roethlisberger mistake and/or a big play on special teams will upset this equation though. The Bengals have a legitimate shot, but one road team usually wins in the Wild Card round, and I think this is the most likely game for that to happen.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The past 9 games the Bengals have went 6-3.

And the Steelers have went 6-3.

The difference is the Bengals went 4-1 during the most crucial

period, cliched the division with 2 weeks to spare, was rewarded

a home playoff game... had a let down (Bills) and rested their players

for a meaningless game (Chiefs).

While the Steelers went 2-3 during the most crucial period,

and "had" to win every game to clinch the final playoff spot.

And the 4 games the Steelers won were against 4 teams that

the Bengals had already beaten.

I keep hearing about how the Bengals lack Playoff experience.

And haven`t had a winning season in 15 years.

But the Pats didn`t have any Playoff experience in 2001.

The Panthers didn`t have any in 2003.

The Rams didn`t have any in 1999.

I would love to point out to you that since Marvin Lewis

took over... the Bengals have won the AFC North once

and have had no losing seasons.

In that same span the Steelers have won the AFC North

once and had one losing season.

The Bengals and Steelers both lost to the Jags, Colts

and they lost to each other. Plus they both lost one game

to teams they should have beaten.

They both went 5-3 at home and 6-2 on the road.

But the Bengals beat the Steelers when the division title

was on the line. So they already proved they can beat the Steelers

when everything is on the line.

The Bengals will be as healthy and well rested as they`ve been all year.

They`ll be well coached and well motivated and playing in front of 65,000+

fans that have been starving for a winner.

I think this game will be different that the previous two games.

And I like the Bengals chances...

whatsup fellas. I'm chillin at school right now, trying to find tickets for the playoff game. Anywho, I think you made a lot of good points. But that momentum thing just might kill us. Our starters were in when Larry Johnson ran all over us. All they hay's in the barn, guys. All that can help us now is the attitude that we can win. We had that attitude when we beat them for the AFC North title...that felt great. We need that back. Marvin has to instill in the guys, especially the defense, that they can win if they do what they're taught. We need to stop the run, score often, and force long 3rd downs. If it was up to me, I'd run the ball on first and second every time, get them worn out until Chad can get behind the defense. Anyway, I'm out. Happy Whodey

I'm new to the board, and I haven't seen a post about the upcoming playoff game itself. No discussion of match-ups, opinions on gameplanning, strengths & weaknesses, nothing remotely related to football. Just a lot of "Steeler fans are idiots, there is a changing of the guard in the AFC North," etc, etc.

Here is my two cents worth. There is no secret to the Steelers gameplan, establish the run, mix in some play action passes, get an early lead, and win the time of possession battle. No secret on the Bengals' side either--score early and often, force the Steelers to try to match them score for score. At the end of the day, if Ben R has attempted 25-30 passes, the Bengals will have won easily.

Conventional wisdom says the Bengals should be able to exploit the Steeler pass defense, especially if they come out with a 4 WR set and go no huddle. The Steelers will counter with the 2-3-6 formation they used with some success against the Colts, but less so against the Bengals in the lat meeting. The key for Palmer will be to recognize where the blitz is coming from and making sure the receivers are on the same page as him.

When the Steelers have the ball, the Bengals must tackle well, force the Steelers into 3rd and long situations, and disguise coverage schemes well. Follow #35, because #39 will be right behind him.

Prediction: 23-17 Steelers. I just don't see the Bengals stopping the run well enough to get the Steelers out of their comfort zone. A Roethlisberger mistake and/or a big play on special teams will upset this equation though. The Bengals have a legitimate shot, but one road team usually wins in the Wild Card round, and I think this is the most likely game for that to happen.

Since you're new to the board you have missed the extensive discussion, and over-discussion at times, of game plan vs. Steelers. This is game #3, so consider yourself late to this particular party. I'm going to guess from your prediction that you are a Steeler fan. So, I will interpret your points as "these are the reasons Steelers will win". Fair enough and decent analysis. However, your statement that there's no secret to either teams' game plan is somewhat off-base. In the last meeting the Steelers came out and threw the ball a lot -- IMO an attempt to surprise the Bengals defense. So, there may be a secret after all -- do the Steelers do that again? My guess is probably not based on the outcome. However, Rothless had huge numbers in that game, so who knows. If the Steelers counter by laying back and daring the pass on defense they may get burned this game. It is the consensus here by my read that Rudi hasn't been getting the ball enough, especially vs. Steelers who look to be somewhat vulnerable defensively. Expect to see Rudi between the tackles and a healthy dose of Perry draws and screens.

Thanks (??) for the "legitimate shot" comment. Of course the Bengals have a shot -- the current media blitz about how hot Pitt. is goes out the window in what is essentially a third division game. The fact that one road team usuallly wins in the first week is based not at all on the factors that will decide this game -- if true that would simply be a matter of coincidence. Oh, and BTW -- steelers fans are idiots.

Good post. All the things you pointed out are true. I would have to categorize your comments as "intangibles," however, and they probably will have little effect on the outcome of the game.

I was hoping for an X's and O's discussion. With that in mind, I have to take issue with your last comment, predicting that this game will be different than the previous two. If you think it won't like the first, that means the Bengals stop the run. If it won't be like the second, then one team will score a lot of points, but the other one doesn't. In either case, that means a blowout, and that is one outcome I just don't see.

We need to stick with the running game. Rudi has proven he can carry the load if needed. In our meaningful loses Rudi ran fine but was not given the rock enough. If the first Pit loss didn't he run for 65 yards on 13 carries? Small chunks, 3-5 yards per pop on 1st and 2nd down. Have Carson do short 3 step drops to get the safties up.

Then bam.

Our D needs to stack the line. Make WorstFatHeadCommercialEver beat us. Have somebody shadow Heath Miller please lord.

I feel sick I am so pumped.

Marvin has taught our boys to win the close ones.

Good post. All the things you pointed out are true. I would have to categorize your comments as "intangibles," however, and they probably will have little effect on the outcome of the game.

I was hoping for an X's and O's discussion. With that in mind, I have to take issue with your last comment, predicting that this game will be different than the previous two. If you think it won't like the first, that means the Bengals stop the run. If it won't be like the second, then one team will score a lot of points, but the other one doesn't. In either case, that means a blowout, and that is one outcome I just don't see.

My focus is primarily on game plan and adjustments. I am not sure whether Cowher relies on the run first, or has a passing game plan. Hardly intangibles. In fact, I'm at a loss as to any of my comments that relate to intangibles. Intanglibles are like how the teams "get up" for the game, whether one player carries the team by playing over his head, etc. I don't have much to say about those things, that's why they're not in there. As far as that goes, the most truly intangible comment made was yours about playoff road losses in week 1.

What I do think is interesting is the play calling itself, X's and O's if you will. I think Cowher tries to make this game 1 by trying to get Parker started quickly. If I'm Marvin, I assume we have to stop limit the run on 1st and 2nd and get as many stops as possible on passing 3rd downs (4 yds and longer). Incidentally, over the past several games (KC excluded) it has been the latter problem (stopping 3rd down conversions through the air) that has killed us, not the run. The Bengals don't have to completely shut down the Steeler offense -- they haven't done that all year to anyone -- just keep them in the center of the field and give up yards not points. That is the best that can be expected from this defense. That is what worked in game 2.

Our offense will likely run more and use "run-like" plays to get the ball into Perry's hands. He got some work last week after being out for some time and has some skills that Rudi doesn't. Look for him to be much more involved as I see Lewis considering this game an opportunity to pull out all the stops in a sense.

As for that, I didn't say it would be different from game 1 or 2. In my mind, it will have to be similar to one or the other in most respects. I think it will be like game 1 because Cowher will get really conservative and try to run whenever possible. The point differential in game 2 wasn't really large, so I'm not sure where you're going with that one. I never said blowout -- I never made any prediction at all. I don't really see the point in that unless I'm going to win $$ if I'm right.

[EDIT: re-reading the post threads, it's possible you were referring to Skooler regarding the "intangibles" thing -- if so, ignore the comments to that effect.]

By being different that the first 2 games I meant that I don`t think

the Steelers RB`s will running up and down the field at will.

And I don`t think Roethlisberger will throw for 386 yards and 3 TD`s

like he did in the 2nd game.

I don`t think it will be a shoot-out either.

I think it is going to be a physical game.

And whoever can run the ball the best will

more than likely be the winner.

Everything you said, from pointing out the team records to the the fact the Bengals will be rested in an intanglible.

Since you're new to the board you have missed the extensive discussion, and over-discussion at times, of game plan vs. Steelers. This is game #3, so consider yourself late to this particular party. I'm going to guess from your prediction that you are a Steeler fan. So, I will interpret your points as "these are the reasons Steelers will win". Fair enough and decent analysis. However, your statement that there's no secret to either teams' game plan is somewhat off-base. In the last meeting the Steelers came out and threw the ball a lot -- IMO an attempt to surprise the Bengals defense. So, there may be a secret after all -- do the Steelers do that again? My guess is probably not based on the outcome. However, Rothless had huge numbers in that game, so who knows. If the Steelers counter by laying back and daring the pass on defense they may get burned this game. It is the consensus here by my read that Rudi hasn't been getting the ball enough, especially vs. Steelers who look to be somewhat vulnerable defensively. Expect to see Rudi between the tackles and a healthy dose of Perry draws and screens.

Thanks (??) for the "legitimate shot" comment. Of course the Bengals have a shot -- the current media blitz about how hot Pitt. is goes out the window in what is essentially a third division game. The fact that one road team usuallly wins in the first week is based not at all on the factors that will decide this game -- if true that would simply be a matter of coincidence. Oh, and BTW -- steelers fans are idiots.

I've checked all the recent posts (going back several pages) and found nothing remotely resembling an X's and O's discussion.

I don't think the Bengals will go with a run first, pass second game plan. The Steelers best players are the linebackers, and I think they will use the same formations as the second game to force the Steelers to use 6 defensive backs. I do think we will see screens and passes to Rudi in the flat, as a way to get him into open space. They want to force a DB to tackle him, not a LB. I don't think we'll see a lot of between the tackles running.

As far as my "legitmate shot" comment goes, it was expressed in conjunction with my prediction. You might also want to check your Bengal history. My screen name is a tribute.

I want us to come out right at the gates. Run the no huddle just like the first two games and try to get ahead early. This takes away Pitt's strentgh of running, forcing Bum thumb ben to win with his arm.

Then Rudi comes in

Same gameplan as the first two games, and it would have worked the first game if not for the goaline mishaps

I think Cincy is going to come out slinging the ball all over the field. They're gonna be very excited and the Steelers need to weather the storm in the early going. If Pittsburgh can contain Palmer and Company in the first quarter it will get easier for them as the game goes along. Pittsburgh will need to get the ground game going, and if they do Cincy is going to have problems with them, however, if the Steelers D gets the O into a hole then we could have a game similar to the last one we played.

Bottom line... if Pittsburgh does a better job protecting the football than they did last time around they'll win the game. If not, Cincy moves on and Pittsburgh goes home.

We need to stick with the running game. Rudi has proven he can carry the load if needed. In our meaningful loses Rudi ran fine but was not given the rock enough. If the first Pit loss didn't he run for 65 yards on 13 carries? Small chunks, 3-5 yards per pop on 1st and 2nd down. Have Carson do short 3 step drops to get the safties up.

Then bam.

Our D needs to stack the line. Make WorstFatHeadCommercialEver beat us. Have somebody shadow Heath Miller please lord.

I agree with this post 100%. I want the Rudi to carry the load all game long, and allow the passing game to complement his success. I know Palmer and his receivers are capable of churning up yardage even with minimal success in the running game, but against the Steelers defense that could result in turnovers (as in seen in our first game against them this season). Allow the gameplan to form itself around Rudi's success or lack there-of in the first half.

Then bam.

I agree with this post 100%. I want the Rudi to carry the load all game long, and allow the passing game ot complement his success. I know Palmer and his receivers are capable of churning up yardage even with minimal success in the running game, but against the Steelers defense that could result in turnovers. Allow the gameplan to form itself around Rudi's success or lack there-of in the first half.

I think you guys are definitely gonna need the run game, but it's gonna be tough going. Pittsburgh leads the NFL in yards per attempt allowing a paltry 3.4 yards per carry. And they're 3rd in yards per game with 86. I think you'll have to throw to set up the run, because if you try to run to set up the pass you'll never get the pass set up and you'll be one dimensional the whole game. Pittsburgh is the exact opposite... they'll have to run to set up the pass.

I think you guys are definitely gonna need the run game, but it's gonna be tough going. Pittsburgh leads the NFL in yards per attempt allowing a paltry 3.4 yards per carry. And they're 3rd in yards per game with 86. I think you'll have to throw to set up the run, because if you try to run to set up the pass you'll never get the pass set up and you'll be one dimensional the whole game. Pittsburgh is the exact opposite... they'll have to run to set up the pass.

Agreed, it should be a tough going for Rudi given the statistics you mentioned. Still, Rudi has had an uncanny knack at playing very well against Pittsburgh, having either amassed 100 yards (well, 98 once) or averaged well above 4 yards a carry in 3 of the last 4 meetings.

Same gameplan as the first two games, and it would have worked the first game if not for the goaline mishaps

Agreed. I think far too much is made of the Bengals defensive failure in the first game. It's almost as if the Bengals offense is given a free pass and all criticism is swallowed in favor of blasting the defense for giving up a stupid amount of rushing yardage. But I haven't forgotten how close that game was going into halftime despite the misfiring Bengals offense. Change that fact, and the complete offensive meltdown in the 3rd quarter, and the Steelers would have been forced to abandon their running game....just as it happened in the rematch.

This isn't rocket science. The two teams know each other far too well for either of them to fool the other with x's and o's. Thus, I expect a familiar script with the final outcome decided by the team that makes the fewest mistakes while playing with great emotion.

Last, major props to OldSchooler for writing a very solid post as well as for having the best boobie-free avatar ever.

Absolutely. Looking back to October, I said I always thought that the way to beat the Steelers defense is to do the 'opposite' of what they want you to do. They want (need) you to run to set up the pass. They are designed to stop that. So ... like George did in Seinfeld :-) ... you do the opposite. You pass to set up the run. This drives them nuts. I've seen it done by all the teams that manage to frustrate and beat them. Look to the Pats, look to the Raiders, look to Colts. These teams were simply unafraid to use the short (and some long) passes to set up the run. Make them change their defense and rely upon the 3 guys upfront to get pressure. They surely have the 3 guys that can do it, but it puts the pressure back on the defense to adjust ... something we all know that a Cowher-coached playoff team is either unwilling or unable to do ... adjust.

The critical thing I see here is good field position early for the Bengals. If they can get the ball around the 35 or 40 on either their first or second possession, then I think the theory will prove itself true. If they are forced deep, then running becomes more obvious, and things get sticky.

The critical thing I see here is good field position early for the Bengals. If they can get the ball around the 35 or 40 on either their first or second possession, then I think the theory will prove itself true. If they are forced deep, then running becomes more obvious, and things get sticky.

Solid points. The Bengals offense tends to be very conservative playing deep in its own end, and the result is usually a run-run-pass 3-and-out series that surrenders field position to the opposing team. Frankly, I think it's been largely ignored due to the defensive meltdowns, but the Bengals special teams have slipped recently.

3 things to watch when Cincy has the ball...

Key Matchup is Palmer vs. Polamalu - If Carson can locate and avoid him at all times that will be a huge advantage in the passing game. If Troy is able to throroughly disguise his plans then blitz pickup and reading coverages becomes a great deal more difficult.

2. Pittsburgh's front seven vs. Cincy's front seven - The last time we played the Bengals did an outstanding job of neutralizing the pass rush and Carson was able to find wholes in the zones and make plays. With the zone blitz scheme there's plays to be had in our secondary if the pressure doesn't get there.

3. Steelers Corners vs. Bengals Receivers - This will be critical towards the flow of the game. If the Bengal WR's can find the holes in the zone and provide an outlet for Carson when the pressure is coming it will make for a long day for the Steelers. However, if the Steelers corners are able to stay with them and force them to stay underneath the sticks on third downs I like our chances.

Cincy wins the game if 1. they nuetralize the blitz and give Carson ample time to throw the ball 2. they control the Steelers running game and force Ben to throw 35 + times.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 things to watch when Pittsburgh has the ball...

Key Matchup is Pittsburghs front seven vs. Cincy's front seven - If the Bengals can't control the running game they will be in a lot of trouble. Once the ground game gets going we open things up with the play action. Ben has had a lot of success off the play fakes and I expect things to be the same on Sunday. Look for a heavy dose of Willie and Jerome in the early going.

2. Heath Miller vs. Kevin Kaesviharn - If Heath is able to get open he will make big plays all day long. Kevin will have his hands full with Heath, but if he's able to nuetralize him for most of the day that will be a huge lift for the Bengals Secondary.

3. Steelers WR's vs. Bengal Corners - If the Bengals secondary starts getting greedy in run support they will be burned by the play fake. They will need to stay disciplined all day long and stay focused. The Steelers WR's are all very quick and all possesion recievers so tackling will be huge. If the Steeler WR's are able to make some people miss it could be a long day for the Bengals corners.

Pittsburgh wins the game if 1. they control the LOS on both sides of the ball allowing them to dictate the tempo of the game 2. Play turnover free football against a secondary that gets them in bunches.