Five questions for Marvin Lewis

Whur CHad At?

via NFL.com

The Bengals demolished the Lions to clinch their first AFC North title since 1990. Head coach Marvin Lewis reflects on his team's accomplishments.

It was striking to see you and your players' demeanors after the game. Everyone was happy about winning the division, but not satisfied:

-ML"Yeah, we've been saying the same things all the time. But it's right on schedule. We have to win the next two football games in order to have an opportunity to be the second seed. So we still have a chance, based on what happens, possibly to control our own destiny and not have to worry about anybody else."

What does having a first-round bye do for a team?

ML-"Well, you play one less game. I guess the week off is good. But obviously, any time you play a football game, you can lose that football game no matter where you play it or when. So to play one less game is obviously an advantage. And to play that first game at home is an advantage."

Is this the kind of business where it's tough to stop and smell the roses until the whole thing is done?

ML-"This is a business where you work harder to work more. So there is no time to celebrate. Every game is very meaningful, particularly for us. Maybe there's a couple teams that don't have to worry about it as much. We do. So, this is kind of a good thing that we can keep our foot down, keep pressing that pedal, and keep working."

Does this team's maturity surprise you? "

ML-I think it comes from guys that came out of good programs in college that expected to win and won a lot of football games. They're very confident in their abilities and how they go about and do things. We like to say you have no bad habits to break, other than what we allow to exist. We also say, “We either coach it or are allowing it to happen.' And it's not going to be the latter. So let's make sure we get it right."

Where did you get the slogan 'Expand Your Role'? "

ML-I don't know, I think Brian Billick used to say it to our guys all the time. I think it's important, that's what a football team does. You know, you don't have 11 starters. You have 15, 16 guys on both sides of the football and special teams. And that's important that all those guys look upon themselves. This year, with us changing how we do the introductions (coming out as a team unit), there are 13, 14, 15 guys out there running out. They all feel like they are part of it, the starters in those particular areas. And that's a good thing that they feel it and invest it like that."

via NFL.com

The Bengals demolished the Lions to clinch their first AFC North title since 1990. Head coach Marvin Lewis reflects on his team's accomplishments.

It was striking to see you and your players' demeanors after the game. Everyone was happy about winning the division, but not satisfied:

-ML"Yeah, we've been saying the same things all the time. But it's right on schedule. We have to win the next two football games in order to have an opportunity to be the second seed. So we still have a chance, based on what happens, possibly to control our own destiny and not have to worry about anybody else."

I think for many the Steelers game was the title game. Looking ahead to the next three (Balt., Clev., Detroit) I personally thought that was THE game. Even after they clinched Sunday, I kinda felt like they already had weeks ago and it was a little bit subdued where I watched the game.