1st and 3rd for Rudi Johnson?

walzav29

I have to agree with Chad on this one..? At least this early in Free Agency. A lot of teams will be making runs at guys like Duce Staley, Thomas Jones, maybe Garrison Hearst gets a phone call as well..???

But come 2 or 3 weeks before the draft... I do Expect Cincy to get a couple of suitors..

I have to disagree. How many people would give us a 1st and a 3rd for Corey? The consensus here would appear to be "not many". If we accept that Corey is a better back than Rudi does it not follow that teams would be even less willing to give up a 1st and a 3rd for Rudi?

Were it not for the Redskins pillaging the Jets last year and the precedent it set, Rudi would have received a lesser tender this year; the one whereby we receive a 1st rounder as compensation. Hell, if Corey was definately staying Rudi would only get the 1st round tender. Not that I'm a Rudi-hater, quite the contrary; I thought he was amazing when he was called upon.. I just think Corey's better.

Corey's better, but he's also older. Giving up draft picks for an older player is giving up the potential long-term future for the short term present. And though Corey's skills are more of a given at this point, no one really knows if he'll still be as effective until he's back out on the field with his pads on.

That being said, I wish, by some stroke of magic (or a smack to the back of the head), that Corey realizes what an a-hole he's been, apologizes and rededicates himself to joining Rudi in the best backfield combo in the league.

But that's about as likely as a team going from 1-15 to the Super Bowl two years later. Oh, wait...

It means, I think Cincinnati offered him the max tender to force another team to come high out of pocket to get him away from us. At least for the mean Time... Once Dan Snyder and Mike Shanahan stop making headlines, then players from the Bengals will start getting some Free Agency publicity.