More About Kitna

hottub

This isn't really news, but an article by Dan Pompei of SportingNews.com says (near the end):

Teams in the market for a starting quarterback should not discount the possibility that Jon Kitna will be available at some point in the offseason. Kitna wants to return to Cincinnati, but the question is whether he'll still want to return if he knows he'll have to take a big pay cut and be the backup to Carson Palmer. The Bengals can't live with Kitna counting $4.3 million against the salary cap, as his contract calls for. If being a starter is Kitna's priority, he'll probably refuse to renegotiate his contract and become a free agent. . . .

Not only is it not news, it's pretty ignorant. If Pompous had taken 30 seconds to search the Enquirer, he'd have found any number of stories in which Kitna says he is willing to renegotiate and slide to No. 2. This is just heap-big-national-sportswriter-who-can't-be-bothered-to-check-the-facts-on-the-ground-because-he-already-knows-everything in action.

Could Kitna be blowing smoke? I suppose it's possible, but that would be a radical departure from his style and personality. If the Bengals want him, I'm confident he'll extend, and that the extension will contain escalators so that, if he does end up back as starter he'll get paid like one.

Not only is it not news, it's pretty ignorant. If Pompous had taken 30 seconds to search the Enquirer, he'd have found any number of stories in which Kitna says he is willing to renegotiate and slide to No. 2. This is just heap-big-national-sportswriter-who-can't-be-bothered-to-check-the-facts-on-the-ground-because-he-already-knows-everything in action.

Could Kitna be blowing smoke? I suppose it's possible, but that would be a radical departure from his style and personality. If the Bengals want him, I'm confident he'll extend, and that the extension will contain escalators so that, if he does end up back as starter he'll get paid like one.

The reason that I think he wants to stay is because he went to Marvin almost the day after the game to renegotiate. There was no other initiation to this other than himself -- so that tells me it's authentic he wants to stay. Another reason I think he wants to stay is because he bought a house in West Chester, about 20 miles north of Cincy; it's his first time living outside of Washington state.

Also, I don't blame the sportswriter. There are 32 full teams in the NFL. Even though his report wasn't that in-depth, it still touched a broad subject in which could go in any direction. Covering every team, you don't have the time to review all reports and documents from the local papers. BTW - we don't go to national writers for the Bengals; we usually stay in the Hobson and Enquirer zone anyway.

Well, that'll teach me to share - not! I wasn't advocating, I was simply passing something along. Maybe the guy is wrong, but unlike some posters on this BBS, I don't actually know everything, so it seemed like an interesting possiblity to me.

I look around the NFL and see a lot of teams who could use someone like Kitna. I also don't think that the only choices are between "Kitna's staying no matter what" and "Kitna's blowing smoke". I imagine that he'd like to stay, but probably not at any price. If the Bengals low-ball him, and someone offers him a shot at starting, with starters money, he'd have every right to reconsider and go.

Well, that'll teach me to share - not! I wasn't advocating, I was simply passing something along. Maybe the guy is wrong, but unlike some posters on this BBS, I don't actually know everything, so it seemed like an interesting possiblity to me.

I look around the NFL and see a lot of teams who could use someone like Kitna. I also don't think that the only choices are between "Kitna's staying no matter what" and "Kitna's blowing smoke". I imagine that he'd like to stay, but probably not at any price. If the Bengals low-ball him, and someone offers him a shot at starting, with starters money, he'd have every right to reconsider and go.

Hottub, keep sharing man. We weren't attacking you, your views, or your decision post this. In fact someone posted here a week or so ago about the Denver/Washington trade and using the 2nd round pick that Denver would get and trade that for Dillon. I didn't even think of that. Post it no matter how obvious it is, we just happen to know the events of this subject -- and its a hot debate in Cincy -- and if anything it helps others learn about it. A lot of people don't agree with my views and some e-mail me to attack me. I even had Ferguson Jenkin's PR manager e-mail me about my content in regards to Fergies drug bust of over $500 in cocain, which he overreacted to. :lol::lol:

I don't think Kit will be released...Who releases a QB that can play?...But it might be possible to trade him for a condtional pick in 2005....

Conditional pick in '05 is an option.. but even though I'm a full fledged Kitna Basher.. and dang proud of it too.. i'd rather have him backing up still..

He knows the offense..The team likes him, Shane Mathews is well.................Shane Mathews..

And of course he said he wanted to stay in Cincy'.. and knew this headline was coming,back on 12.29.03.

Thanks for the love, Kirkendall. *sniff* *sniff* I know that there's no crying in football...

I just got my end-of-work-day ESPN dosage, and there seemed to be wide-spread surprise and disapproval of the Palmer / Kitna decision. I know, I know - they're all idiots. But even Mortenson mentioned the possibility of a trade.

On the other hand, somebody (on ESPN) talking about Jeff Garcia had the opinion that the QB market would be soft this year. I don't think that's really true. Soft maybe for a scrambling QB with back spasms, sure! But I think there are a lot of teams who could use a guy like Kitna - a teacher, a good locker room presence, physically durable, and pretty cheap even at $4m.

I hope he stays with the Bengals - I think we need him - but I bet there will be a few offers...

On the other hand, somebody (on ESPN) talking about Jeff Garcia had the opinion that the QB market would be soft this year. I don't think that's really true. Soft maybe for a scrambling QB with back spasms, sure! But I think there are a lot of teams who could use a guy like Kitna - a teacher, a good locker room presence, physically durable, and pretty cheap even at $4m.

I hope he stays with the Bengals - I think we need him - but I bet there will be a few offers...

Yea, I think he's the Sean Casey of the Bengals, quality locker room presence, as long he removes the fact he was just benched. He's a good asset to have, but we really need to reduce his costs now.