Bah-Humbug

jjakq27

Some people just don't get it. :no: I am convinced that, in life, there are some people that don't ever want things to get better or improve. They would rather be miserable. If not they wouldn't have much to talk about.

From yesterday's Letters to the Editor section in the Cincinnati Enquirer.

"Bengals one and out in playoffs

Marvin Lewis defended the Bengals' lackluster performance Sunday by stating, "A win is a win." Sorry, to sound cynical, but all wins are not equal. Yes, winning is always better than losing, but barely defeating a lesser opponent is not a proud victory.

By dominating almost all of their opponents, the Indiapolis Colts show they are they are serious contenders for the Super Bowl. But the Bengals' anemic win Sunday against a team with a losing record and a rookie quarterback did not impress anyone. It certainly did not impress any team that may have to play them in the post season. We've only beaten one tough opponent, Pittsburgh. What's worse is that we have seriously struggled with many teams with losing records, like Cleveland.

While it's great to have a winning team back in Cincinnati again, this team's performances have shown all the indications for a very short post-season."

Some people just don't get it. :no:

Marvin Lewis defended the Bengals' lackluster performance Sunday by stating, "A win is a win." Sorry, to sound cynical, but all wins are not equal. Yes, winning is always better than losing, but barely defeating a lesser opponent is not a proud victory.

By dominating almost all of their opponents, the Indiapolis Colts show they are they are serious contenders for the Super Bowl. But the Bengals' anemic win Sunday against a team with a losing record and a rookie quarterback did not impress anyone. It certainly did not impress any team that may have to play them in the post season. We've only beaten one tough opponent, Pittsburgh. What's worse is that we have seriously struggled with many teams with losing records, like Cleveland.

While it's great to have a winning team back in Cincinnati again, this team's performances have shown all the indications for a very short post-season."

bulls**t

Some people just don't get it. :no:

bulls**t

Who wrote that BS ! ! ! ! WTF ! ! ! ! The windy conditions were horrible. Any given sunday !

It's just one guy's opinion and he got crap for it all day yesterday on the radio talk shows here.

I think saying that the "negativity in this town" as if it's some sort of prevailing attitude - is just as inaccurate as his letter though.

People complain because the Bengals are winning ugly - people just need to keep things in perspective and realize the future is even brighter than the present. And just enjoy the victories any way we get them for now - the playoffs will be fun even if they lose - I'll be happy with going to the AFC Championship game - even if they lose - that will be a mighty accomplishment and think the Bengals could very well be back there next year again, or at least in the near future.

Good times.

I think saying that the "negativity in this town" as if it's some sort of prevailing attitude - is just as inaccurate as his letter though.

Well said Shula... you must only come to this forum to realize that this opinion is held by only a few. (although, some would probably throw you into that category oddly enough).

People complain because the Bengals are winning ugly - people just need to keep things in perspective and realize the future is even brighter than the present.

First, the negativity line was a ripoff of a quote by Rick Pitino when he coached in Boston. It was meant as an attention getter. So I apologize to you and others that may be bothered by that "inaccuracy". Obviously there are alot of people on this site that have positive attitude towards the Bengals or they wouldn't be here for the most part.

Secondly, some people can't or won't keep things in perspective regardless of the past, present or future, which was my point of posting it in the first place. I have coworkers, relatives and acquaintences that still dislike the Bengals/Mike Brown/the County Commissioners/Marvin Lewis because he's black/Boomer Esiason/ticket prices/the Strike in 1987/you name it. I am sure you know a few yourself.

So your rosey outlook may be a little unrealistic for some.

someone tell that douchebag that Indy beat Cleveland 13 - 6 at home.

But that was before their offense was in sync.... :rolleyes:

I love it when people talk out both sides of their mouths.

Its convenient that everyone overlooks the many lackluster efforts by teams that were overwhelming favorites last week - Broncos barely beat a horrible Ravens team at home, Giants need OT to a desimated Eagle team, Carolina getting manhandled at home against TB, Chargers getting beat by Dolphins at home, etc....

So what, we had a freaking hangover from the previous week when we beat a division nemesis. s**t happens. Its not the first time and it wont be the last. The positive thing is that we fought through it and won.

All I know is that since the loss to the Steelers in October, our Bengals are 5-1, with the only loss being an 8 point defeat to the only undefeated team in football. I'll take it. With just a couple more breaks going our way, we'll be heading into the playoffs with a #2 seed, a first round bye, and having won 8 of the last 9, with the only loss being to the #1 seed. Not bad ... not bad at all.

some would probably throw you into that category oddly enough.

Yeah I can see that, lol, after my Justin Smith rant thread ecspecially. :lmao: (where's Fanene?)

I wear my stripes on my sleeve like a lot of people here, and well, when you see a team tinkering with true greatness, who are only, literally, a few players away from getting there on defense - it gnaws at you some over the course of a year and a lot of ugly wins.

Yet how could anyone be "that" upset with this team generally speaking? Makes no sense that you'd be that down on them - sounds like my brother who's a Raiders' fan and jumped off the bandwagon years ago, and now is jealous/regrets it. ("the Bengals will get killed by the first playoff team they face any ways")

jjakq27 - Sorry I missed the Pitino reference, had no idea if you were being sarcastic or making a generalization based on one person's letter to the editor. That one guy has got way more press than he ever deserved though, but, I realize it reflects the attitude of some fans in town certainly, and that is really your point I think.

some would probably throw you into that category oddly enough.

Yeah I can see that, lol, after my Justin Smith rant thread ecspecially. :lmao: (where's Fanene?)

:sure: I've got zero problem with the letter writer who predicted a short playoff run or our own Kid Steakhouse. All we're talking about is a difference in opinions about perceived team weaknesses, and predictions of what they might mean as the team attempts to reach it's ultimate goal.

Debate is healthy. The exchange of opinions is how society moves forward. And watching people get angry can be very entertaining....as long as they aren't armed.

Sheesh, the only time you ever see any group of people in complete agreement is at a Republican National Convention, the incredibly long beer lines at a Cleveland brown home game, or when a vast herd of lemmings rushes unthinkingly to their own doom. And lets never forget that each of these three things is a sign of a coming disaster.

What a waste of a topic, but I'm going to respond anyway thereby extending the length of this useless thread.

One fan does not make a city, and who honestly cares.

I say the Bengals are going to win the Super Bowl, good, the Bengals just listened and now they're going to magically win the Super Bowl. NO!

BTW, if they do play like they did Sunday they will be one and done.

Probably the same guy that always sends his food back no matter what at a restaurant...

Ummm, excuse me Montgomery Inn server, these ribs are not quite up to snuff can I send them back please???

How can you live through the last 15 years and make comments like that??? Probably a transplant Cincinnatan working for P&G....