Reds loose out on P Matt Morris..

Whur CHad At?

P Matt Morris signed with the Giants for a 3 year Deal worth $27 mil. I wasn't suprised to see the Reds go after him, cause of his 101-62 lifetime record, but I was suprised to see what they offered him. The Reds offered a 3 year $25 mil. deal to him. I was like WOW we are gona be spending some money. So now we know that the Reds are gonna spend some money on a Pitcher this year. This is good, they are finally thinking. Look for them to make a move towards Jarod Washburn, or Jeff Weaver. I don't see them going after Kevin Millwood becuase he wants something like a 4-5 year deal worth $40-50 mil. and the Reds won't spend that kind of money.

I could also see them trying to aquire Barry Zito from the A's. This move sounds pointless, but the Red's have a lot of prospects that the A's like, so a deal to trade WIlly Mo, or Kearns with prospects for Zito, could very well happen!!!!

Yea, losing out on Morris sucks. From my understanding though, Morris' agent is saying the Reds were just late and never thought of as serious suitors. Too bad too.

Here's a list of the quality starting pitchers available via free agency:

Kevin Millwood

Jarrod Washburn

Jeff Weaver

Scott Elarton

Esteban Loaiza

Jamie Moyer

P Matt Morris signed with the Giants for a 3 year Deal worth $27 mil. I wasn't suprised to see the Reds go after him, cause of his 101-62 lifetime record, but I was suprised to see what they offered him. The Reds offered a 3 year $25 mil. deal to him. I was like WOW we are gona be spending some money. So now we know that the Reds are gonna spend some money on a Pitcher this year. This is good, they are finally thinking. Look for them to make a move towards Jarod Washburn, or Jeff Weaver. I don't see them going after Kevin Millwood becuase he wants something like a 4-5 year deal worth $40-50 mil. and the Reds won't spend that kind of money.

I could also see them trying to aquire Barry Zito from the A's. This move sounds pointless, but the Red's have a lot of prospects that the A's like, so a deal to trade WIlly Mo, or Kearns with prospects for Zito, could very well happen!!!!

Whoever signs Zito will eventually sign him to a long-term contract...he has one year left on his current deal...that probably won't be the Reds...

I think Morris was our best shot at a good free agnet pitcher. I doubt highly that we'll get Zito. He'll want to play for a winning team.

I am not bothered much by this anyways, we have little use for an aging pitcher. This team is more than one pitcher short of the playoffs. Our only option is to play the O'Brien Game and keep going through seasons trying out new young talent until we emerge with a real starter.

I think Esteban Loaiza signed with the Angels last week. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, it's nice to see that the Reds tried to sign someone of quality. Still mad about the Casey trade, but if they sign a real pitcher, I may be able to forgive them.

You're half right, he signed with Oakland less than a month ago (where was I??!!!) :lol::lol:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2239730

Just another pitcher going someplace else... same ol' story.

Yea, apparently a stadium known as a hitter’s paradise and non-competitive team in the near future just wasn't enough to persuade the f**ker.

Oh come on!!!!!!! Even with those hindrances, how can you pass up an opp to be coached by Vern Ruhle???? :disgust:

Heard Morris went to SF to be with Mike Metheny his ex-catcher in STL...

I can hear the thoughts in O'Brien's head now...that Homer Bailey sure is something, can't wait to have him in the Bigs in 2-3 years...

O'Brein said he wanted to upgrade his pitching staff. He said he was looking for a #1 pitcher. Elarton is considered a #4 or #5 pitcher. So I am kind of glad we didnt seriously pursure Mr. Elarton

I dunno why. The current rotation isn't blowing anyone's skirts up and realistically we will not aquire a #1 because there's none available and the team has shown zero interest in paying the money for a #1. If he wants to "upgrade" his pitching staff, you can't just focus on a #1; rather signing experienced and somewhat previous successful pitchers -- both limited on our current rotation.

BTW, Washburn is about signed in Seattle. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2263156

Well, I guess we're (Reds) are happy with the status quo still; even with new ownership.