Does anyone here follow soccer?

BengalszoneBilly

I just chatted earlier today with my friend from England, who I met a year or so ago from visiting his personal website, and they are just as fervent about soccer (which of course is what they call football) as we are about the Bengals and the NFL.

During the last edition of World Cup play, the U.S. team made quite a strong showing. In fact we surprised alot of Europeans with our play. I'm not really well versed in the game yet, but with my British buddy's help, I hope to overcome that!

Does anyone else here follow the sport?

The only sport not professionally popular in the US that I pay any attention to is rugby. It has to be the roughest sport there is.

I sponsor the club here at eku and the games can be ferocious. Last year's captian had to retire after breaking his nose and cheeks on one play. :o Against UC a year or two ago they ran out of ice, gauze etc. It's not unusual to have to pick up a player or two after the game at the hospital. A few stitches are usually all that is required.

The only sport not professionally popular in the US that I pay any attention to is rugby.  It has to be the roughest sport there is. 

I sponsor the club here at eku and the games can be ferocious.  Last year's captian had to retire after breaking his nose and cheeks on one play. :o  Against UC a year or two ago they ran out of ice, gauze etc.  It's not unusual to have to pick up a player or two after the game at the hospital.  A few stitches are usually all that is required.

I have to agree with the roughness of rugby, but then again, they wear no protective gear, and almost wear their scars as tropheys!

By the way, I attended Eastern Kentucky University back in the mid '70's. I was still in high school, and we went there during the summer for bandcamp, where I was a drummer. Do they still have that going on?

I have to agree with the roughness of rugby, but then again, they wear no protective gear, and almost wear their scars as tropheys!

By the way, I attended Eastern Kentucky University back in the mid '70's. I was still in high school, and we went there during the summer for bandcamp, where I was a drummer. Do they still have that going on?

Yeah the drumming starts around the middle of June and goes until classes begin. I have no idea how many camps they hold, but it must be several. There are school buses from all over the state. I live close to campus and can here the practices. It makes light yardwork a little more entertaining.

You know I always had a good time there, and most of all...I lost my virginity in the campus dorm. The tall one with about twelve floors. You haven't seen it running around there, have you? :lol:

I imagine it's still here, but they did raise one a few years back. I always figured there was a reason the band members looked forward to camp so much. :lol:

I imagine it's still here, but they did raise one a few years back. I always figured there was a reason the band members looked forward to camp so much. :lol:

I was talking about my virginity, not the dorm. It was somewhat old when I was there. I don't imagine the dorm would still be standing. EKU always had a great cross country team. How have they been since I've been gone?

I imagine it's still here, but they did raise one a few years back.  I always figured there was a reason the band members looked forward to camp so much. :lol:

I was talking about my virginity, not the dorm. It was somewhat old when I was there. I don't imagine the dorm would still be standing. EKU always had a great cross country team. How have they been since I've been gone?

Oh :blink:

sometimes I'm slow. I'll keep an eye out for little broomers running the campus.

I wonder how often the virginity is lost at summer camp? There are camps all summer long; band, basketball, governor scholars, baseball..... :unsure:

I wonder how often the virginity is lost at summer camp... :unsure:

Probably way more than you think. And there are no little "broomers" running around in Richmond. I wore a rubber, and we both went back to northern (Erlanger) Kentucky. :rolleyes:

Can't comment on the latter part of this discussion but, in answer to your original points:

Yes, I follow soccer (being english I suppose that's a given) and yes the USA did suprise pretty much everyone at the last world cup.. a couple of your fellas now play in our premier league (Tim Howard plays as goalkeeper for Manchester United and was THE suprise package last year.)

And yes, rugby is the mutt's nuts. If you get any chance at all, watch the six nations competition (halfway through right now, three games every weekend for the next three weeks). I play rugby here and its definitely a tribal thing. A Celts right of passage. I also play football (not soccer) for my university in the british league and I've been injured more times in three seasons of football than I have in 12 years of rugby.

Yes, I follow soccer (being english I suppose that's a given

...Which brings me to this question I really must ask. How in the hell did you become a Cincinnati Bengal fan? And the same goes for "ScottishBengalFan". This totally amazes me, and redsfan2 as well, and probably others. We talked about you guys in the "General Discussions" forum in the "Forum Members Diversity" thread.

You two still have us puzzled. Care to solve it for us? :)

I had to admit at first I thought "UK" stood for University of Kentucky, about an hour and forty five minutes south of Cincinnati. Then, through your postings I come to realize it stands for "United Kingdom". Coulda knocked me over with a feather! :blink: