NFL needs to review the replay procedures

Dan2330

Flipping back and forth on the Sunday Ticket and missed the end of the call on the CJ none-catch late in the game. Wondering why Cleveland got their time out back, if I recall they were on a 'injury' timeout and then the officials decided to go ahead and review the play and then give the Browns the time-out back? Is that how it went down?

I think the NFL needs to look at their procedures for reviewing calls under 2 minutes left. If I recall Homogrem and the Seahawks called a timeout under 2:00 minutes a few weeks ago in the Giants game just so the officials would review the play. Call it a good Coach decision for now, but kind of cheap, also. Getting tired of every damn close call getting reviewed in games, and what is the deal with the clock they use. Seems like they are always going beyond the time on the review, don't get that one at all.

Flipping back and forth on the Sunday Ticket and missed the end of the call on the CJ none-catch late in the game. Wondering why Cleveland got their time out back, if I recall they were on a 'injury' timeout and then the officials decided to go ahead and review the play and then give the Browns the time-out back? Is that how it went down?

I think the NFL needs to look at their procedures for reviewing calls under 2 minutes left. If I recall Homogrem and the Seahawks called a timeout under 2:00 minutes a few weeks ago in the Giants game just so the officials would review the play. Call it a good Coach decision for now, but kind of cheap, also. Getting tired of every damn close call getting reviewed in games, and what is the deal with the clock they use. Seems like they are always going beyond the time on the review, don't get that one at all.

I have to disagree with you there. I would rather have them get the call right. I was at the game and thought he had caught it, but after they showed the replay there is no doubt it was a drop.

The only thing I think is that the refs have come to abuse it a tad. They are way late in blowing whistles and they kind of lean on the replay to make decisions for them

This was under 2 minutes left in the game though right? If so the Browns should not have gotten their TimeOut back because the replay is controlled by the booth- I thought the Browns were on a injury timeout?

The only thing I think is that the refs have come to abuse it a tad. They are way late in blowing whistles and they kind of lean on the replay to make decisions for them

This was under 2 minutes left in the game though right? If so the Browns should not have gotten their TimeOut back because the replay is controlled by the booth- I thought the Browns were on a injury timeout?

I think they came back and said they were charged with the timeout. From the game notes, it shows that Cleveland was charged with their second timeout with 56 seconds left on that play.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/gamebook/NFL_20051211_CLE@CIN

OK, this is what happened (as best as my memory allows):

1. Chad catches pass.

2. Cleveland calls time out (because the game is about over).

3. Refs decide to review and do reverse call.

4. Refs initially decided to give Cleveland their time out back, but were corrected that they took their timeout before the review and could NOT get it back. However, there was a break before the review for the initial timeout and the refs, more or less, allowed more time to rest after the review (as if they forgot the timeout break was already taken).

It didn't hurt anything and the refs didn't job anyone.

Personally, I think review is getting a little time-consuming. It's taking way too long and breaking the momentum of the game (hell, it stops it). I say the NFL should do this:

1. Review every play after it's over. If they require additional time (which is rare in itself if they are the only one's watching), then hold the next play until the booth officials determine what happened.

Every play gets reviewed and is not in the hands of coaches.

2. If stoppage of play is not needed then let the game continue without skipping a beat. All of this happens in the background.

I'm about 75% sure that's the collegiate system used today. And it's not nearly as long and boring!

PS, Challenges are about as dumb as it gets. What if there's a third call that requires review that could change the game before the two minutes? On MNF (the worst game of all time) had a call that went very obviously against the Saints, but Haslett elected not to challenge because they already had used one. That's just dumb. If they truly want to get it right, then do it. It's not like the NFL doesn't have the means to accomplish this...