Origins of the No-Huddle offense

jjakq27

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=4901

Great story by Geoff Hobson about Sam Wyche and Bruce Coslet and the development of the No-Huddle offense during the mid-80's.

One thing that is missing is a few of the variations such as the Sugar Huddle which was for "short and sweet" and the Sideline Huddle where 15 guys would surround Wyche on the sideline like in basketball then 11 would break to their spots on the field leaving the opposition no time to make substitutions or match up properly. Eventually I think the league banned that one since they were all on the field it was considered an illegal substitution penalty.

Marv Levy was a hack! He always took credit for the no-huddle AFTER he bitched about it to no end during the 1988-89 playoffs...

I'm glad somebody remembers that beside me. He told the league that he would have players fake injuries if they allowed the Bengals to use the no huddle in the AFC Championship game. The NEXT YEAR the no huddle is " Invented " by him and Marchibroda.

This is probably like #3 or #4 on my list of 100 things I hate about the Bills.

Marv Levy was a hack! He always took credit for the no-huddle AFTER he bitched about it to no end during the 1988-89 playoffs...

I'm glad somebody remembers that beside me. He told the league that he would have players fake injuries if they allowed the Bengals to use the no huddle in the AFC Championship game. The NEXT YEAR the no huddle is " Invented " by him and Marchibroda.

This is probably like #3 or #4 on my list of 100 things I hate about the Bills.

Right on! Never respected Levy for that reason!

He didn't even come up with the "fake injury" idea. Teams were doing that to us during the regular season as well.... <_<