Yankees release Boone

Kirkendall

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- Third baseman Aaron Boone was released Thursday by the New York Yankees, nearly six weeks after hurting his knee in a pickup basketball game.

The injury, which could sideline him the entire season, set the stage for the Yankees to acquire Alex Rodriguez from Texas last week. Boone, an NL All-Star last season, becomes a free agent.

Possibly.. I guess it depends on how Brandon Larson and Felipe Lopez turn out.

I think this would have been a lot more likely with Bowden than it is now. Bowden was famous for his re hab " projects ".

Boone isn't a bad player, but I have to question how much he could commit to the organization after last years events. And remember he was the one who asked to be traded. Might be a little sticky all around.

Possibly.. I guess it depends on how Brandon Larson and Felipe Lopez turn out.

I think this would have been a lot more likely with Bowden than it is now. Bowden was famous for his re hab " projects ".

Boone isn't a bad player, but I have to question how much he could commit to the organization after last years events. And remember he was the one who asked to be traded. Might be a little sticky all around.

I'll give Booney the benefit of the doubt though. He was extremely emotional at the time, and he's a deeply loyal guy, just that his father outweighs any baseball team. I mean he did have 96 RBIs and 24 homers. I think we could use his bat with our lack of quality starting pitching, we may have to score mega runs just to stay in most games. Then again, I think we should watch Larson and see if falls back to his 2003 MLB form. But Boone is probably out until at least August, more likely Sept so this may be mute anyway.

IT must be nice to afford to release a player of his ability when you go out and grab A-Rod....

Well there is a misconception with this. By dumping Boone, trading Soriano and releasing Henson, the Yankees break even with picking up A-Rod. Personally I think the pick up was great money management by Brian Cashman; he should get all of the credit.

I saw on ESPN.com that he got 900,000+ for his 30 day termination papers.

To be an althete...wow..

Man! For that kinda money they can cut me all day long!! Holy crap thats a chunnk of change to be sent walkin' down the road with!