Dillon or Rudi..?

chrishcovga

OK, since 12/28/03 we Bengal fans have been in an uproar that Corey Dillon has got to go since his tirade leaving the field after the Browns loss.His comments have seemingly drived a wedge between him and his teammates ,and his fans.

A funny thing happened though... Rudi turned out to be pretty good... and also a free agent when we have the least amount of cap space to keep him if another team offers the big bucks.

One thing that everyone has said would work out for the Bengals the best would be to let Rudi go for that 1st,and 3rd and retain Dillon.. On the other hand.. The other half of you say . trade Dillon,sign Rudi for a one year offer (to see if he could handle the load Dillon did for 8 years) and draft another running back.

It looks to me like all of these Dillon-haters still admit that he's our best option at running back and would rather have him toting the rock 22 times a game than to hand over the duties to Rudi and his one year rise to fame..?

Marvin Lewis stated recently that he thinks he could get Dillon's teammated to welcome him back ...

So Here's the Question: Do we keep Dillon and let Rudi go (when that offer comes) or Do we Sign Rudi to a longterm deal that would keep him out of Free Agency and let Dillon go along his marry ways..?

Before you answer this question .. consider this years Salary Cap.. Next year's running back crop in the '05 draft..i.e..( Cadillac williams and Cedric Benson )... and whether or not you think Marvin Lewis could convince Dillon and his teammates to let bygones be bygones..? :)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marvin Lewis could convince Dillon and his teammates to let bygones be bygones..? :)

Nothing Marvin does would surprise me more than what he's already done with the team this past season. Whatever Marvin wants is good with me. B)

Marvin Lewis stated recently that he thinks he could get Dillon's teammated to welcome him back ...

I still think this is to help Dillon's value for a trade. Make him appear that he's "not that bad".

trade Dillon,sign Rudi for a one year offer

This might be a bad idea. If you trade Dillon, you lose a Pro Bowl caliber RB. Now I've been an advocate of trading him for the purpose of giving us another pick and we do have Rudi now. However, if you do trade Dillon, you need to sign Rudi to more than a one year deal or he'll become a Unrestricted FA after next season and provided he plays like he did last season, we may pay considerablely more $ during after the 2004 season. If you give Rudi one year, his value jumps if he has a good season and Dillon gone, there's a chance we could be without both RBs in 2005.

So Here's the Question: Do we keep Dillon and let Rudi go (when that offer comes) or Do we Sign Rudi to a longterm deal that would keep him out of Free Agency and let Dillon go along his marry ways..?

Well, I'd sign Rudi to a multi-year deal with progression. In other words, 1 mil in 2004, 2 mil in 2005. Trade Dillon if you can get something in return. I've been mad as hell at Dillon since 2000, but it makes no sense to just get rid of him because "we don't like him". Now, I believe if we can get great suitors or purposely not match an offer from another team for Rudi for compensation picks, then I say give up Rudi and keep Dillon until his deal runs out or we pick up another RB in the draft or FA.

I don't like Dillon and I think Rudi is unproven, but I completely disagree with drafting a RB this season. We have way too many needs in other positions than RB. We have two quality RBs and if we cut our throat and dump both within two years without a proven backup or don't intend on picking up a RB in the first two rounds of the 2005 draft, then we're in trouble.

I understand that teammates are mad at him, but I've pissed off my co-workers before and a few conversations later, we're doing ok and no one is mad at me anymore.

I say we give Dillon the rock next year. Once he proves hes still one of the best backs in football he gets traded next year. Re sign Rudi to a progressing contract for like 3 years and see how he does. In my plan Dillon wouyld get the majority but Rudi would not go inactive. He would be in for a series or two every game. But guys our money is in the passing game. Carson Palmer and Chad!

Chris, I love your draft tidbits and you throw out some great stats but your love for Dillon really irks me. Give it up. If Marvin brings him back he's a chicken s**t, stand for nothing loser who will lose all respect from his players and fans. Dillon does NOT want to be here and any fan who thinks he can come back and fit in should be stuck in a foxhole with Al Gore. Marvin will never bring that sorry sack of s**t back and that's it. For the love of God,if your a Bengals fan then you are not a Dillon fan. Sorry about the rant but this Dillon s**t pisses me off!

I dont see how you can hate the guy. He carried our team for the past 8 years gets injured and is all but replaced. In the final games (which the bengals lost) Dillon was running better yet they still got equal carries. Id be pissed too. But in no way were his actions acceptable but I still like the guy for all the effort he has put in the past years. Even though i stilllike Dillon I want him out to. I feel with Marvin we dont need his negativity and The money is in the passing game now.

Chris, I love your draft tidbits and you throw out some great stats but your love for Dillon really irks me. Give it up. If Marvin brings him back he's a chicken s**t, stand for nothing loser who will lose all respect from his players and fans. Dillon does NOT want to be here and any fan who thinks he can come back and fit in should be stuck in a foxhole with Al Gore. Marvin will never bring that sorry sack of s**t back and that's it. For the love of God,if your a Bengals fan then you are not a Dillon fan. Sorry about the rant but this Dillon s**t pisses me off!

I agree man, Dillon pissed me off too. I think though, realistically, if we can't sign Rudi to a multi year deal, then we should keep Dillon for insurance if drafting a RB of high quality isn't a priority.

If Marvin want's Corey back...then I want him back.

If Marvin wants Jon to start, and not Carson...then I'll accept that too.

Marvins madness has brought us out of the darkness, as Josh likes to say. If it's to be, Marvin will make it so! B)

I honestly think dillon is a better back than rudi - on the field. Rudi might have a descent year for us next year if we keep him, im ranging from 1000-1300 yrds. If we were to keep dillon, he can go for 1200-1600yds. There is a reason why dillon was starting for 2 yrs with rudi as the 2nd or 3rd string (brandon bennett sucks ass btw). I know, for a fact, that if Marvin was to keep lewis, he can turn Dillon around, as well as the fans/players reaction towards dillon, hes a god for christsake! The only reason Rudi got a chance, was because of Dillon's injury, wasnt because he was a better player than him. I gaurantee if Dillon gets traded, he gets more yards than Rudi next year. All in all, i dont mind dillon getting traded, but we need something worth while for him, cuz quite frankly, he was our franchise player until this past season. And do i see Rudi being the back that takes us to the super bowl - no. could i see dillon doing that - yes.

My last remark is, if we get rid of dillon, we need to draft a good back in the 2nd round this draft, either with our pick, or one we acquire. Because he will be our starter in a couple years.

I honestly think dillon is a better back than rudi - on the field. Rudi might have a descent year for us next year if we keep him, im ranging from 1000-1300 yrds. If we were to keep dillon, he can go for 1200-1600yds. There is a reason why dillon was starting for 2 yrs with rudi as the 2nd or 3rd string (brandon bennett sucks ass btw). I know, for a fact, that if Marvin was to keep lewis, he can turn Dillon around, as well as the fans/players reaction towards dillon, hes a god for christsake! The only reason Rudi got a chance, was because of Dillon's injury, wasnt because he was a better player than him. I gaurantee if Dillon gets traded, he gets more yards than Rudi next year. All in all, i dont mind dillon getting traded, but we need something worth while for him, cuz quite frankly, he was our franchise player until this past season. And do i see Rudi being the back that takes us to the super bowl - no. could i see dillon doing that - yes.

My last remark is, if we get rid of dillon, we need to draft a good back in the 2nd round this draft, either with our pick, or one we acquire. Because he will be our starter in a couple years.

I think either could be great providing the passing game is a big enough threat to get defenses to not sit on the run. Mix it up with equal talent, run/pass, and both benefit tremendously!

Now if only the defense helps out by improving, and taking the pressure off the offense of having to score on every possession! B)

Running backs success Dillons or anyone else's depends on the line blocking for him. After his bs from last season, how much quality blocking do you think Dillon will receive ????????

Yeah yeah ..... I know they're professionals. They're still people though and mighty pissed off people at that.

Bringing Dillon back undermines Lewis' authority and re establishes the attitude and discipline problems that he tried to get rid of last year. Tender Rudi the max offer and either take him for the year ( his agent says that Rudi wants to stay and get a long term deal ) or take the compensatory picks but trade Dillon or cut him or drop him in the river ..... but do not let him near the football team.

:ph34r: And I still like my idea of everyone who has a Dillon jersey to pelt him with them as soon as they get the chance.

:ph34r: And I still like my idea of everyone who has a Dillon jersey to pelt him with them as soon as they get the chance.

I have to believe that if Corey does take the field next year as a Bengal, that could very well happen! Wouldn't that be absolutely hilarious!?! :lol:

I appreciate all the compliments from the Draft "tidbits" etc.. But Who Dey , i think you missed the point of the Article in question.

Since it's the Head Coaches job to ensure the comraderie of his players, ...........

Why is it such an impossibility with our limited cap room, extreme need to shore up our porous Defense ,and the fact that' we'll be basically starting a rookie Quarterback next season ,to ensure that our running game remains strong so that Carson can progress in our offense and not be one dimensional , something that any true Bengal fan , knows happened to Blake,Klingler and just about any other QB we started in the 90's before Dillon.

Without a running game let alone a proven running back to lead the way ( something Rudi has not done ..yet..?? ) Carson will get the snot' beaten out of him having to throw 45 times a game.

Everyone on this website is a Bengals fan,even Jam31 who's just in Denial ....But truth is truth. Dillon is the better back, and whether you're pissed off at him or not , if we can't get decent value for him in Free Agency.. then let Marvin Lewis do the job he did so well last year.

AS to your Marvin references... You're selling the guy kinda' short don't you think,.... that everytime a player has an outburst or shows frustration we should get rid of him, instead of doing the Man thing and put the guy back in his place. If you've read the articles that Geoff Hobson has posted since the Browns game , you'll see that not once has Dillon come to Lewis and say trade me, cut me or whatever. If he wants out he's played the coward role, because even Spikes was willing to sit down with ML, and give his side of the story. ----Dillon's antics' of putting his house on the market and throwing his uniform into the stands without even talking to management and the coaching staff just shows his childish behavior, not his NFL talent.

So I would expect... that if you're a true Bengal Fan, then next season if # 28 is running behind the same guys that he pissed off, you better cheer for him , and beg those guys to be men ,and brush it off !.

Chris, great points but I have a few comments -- of course.. :lol:

Without a running game let alone a proven running back to lead the way ( something Rudi has not done ..yet..?? ) Carson will get the snot' beaten out of him having to throw 45 times a game.

I've said numerous times that I'm not convinced of Rudi, but it doesn't mean he can't fill the need of establishing a good running game. The difference with Dillon of the past and the Bengals of today is the team is more unified. There is far better talent on the line and in the passing game with absolutely tons of potential. Does that claim a winning formula?

Also, we've got 107 games worth of facts with Dillon and only 20 with Rudi so from both sides of the coin, we can say that we haven't seen Rudi enough to claim him better or worse; it's still in limbo. Another thing, comparing the two backs isn't fair. To go along with multiple game discrepancies -- 107-20 -- they have completely different running styles and from the looks of it in 2003, the line blocked a hellva lot harder for Rudi towards the middle to end of the season -- a point RedsFan made.

Running backs success Dillons or anyone else's depends on the line blocking for him. After his bs from last season, how much quality blocking do you think Dillon will receive ????????

This is absolutely the most important ingredient to any successful football team. If you have no defensive or offensive line then you have nothing. The most important aspect of a successful team is only as good as the line.

I think either could be great providing the passing game is a big enough threat to get defenses to not sit on the run. Mix it up with equal talent, run/pass, and both benefit tremendously!

Billy, this is absolutely an important feature in a successful running game. You need the run to set up the pass, and you need the pass to set up the run. If defenses sit on either, then you won't move the ball real well. After all, when you are passing the ball, you don't want 8-9 guys in coverage. And when you run the ball you don't want 8-9 guys in the box.

WOW! You guys are some forgiving fans. I'm going to go in to work and act like Dillon! I'll throw off my gear at my co-workers(including underwear). Then I'll tell them how much I can't wait to go somewhere else and work. I'll act like I'm hurt and take the easy road while my co-workers bust ass. Then my boss will fire me if he has any balls.I know sports is unlike the real world but it's evident most of you have never been in a leadership role.

Saying that I am selling Marvin short. You guys act like this is odd behavior for Corey. Well let me tell you"It's not". How hard is a guy going to play who wants out? How hard is W. Anderson going to block for good ole # 28? GET REAL!

Rudi has not proven himself yet? That's borderline crazy. What else does he need to prove? Sure he didn't lead the team in rushing for 8 years but he performed when he got the chance. He led the SEC in rushing and that speaks volumes.

I've watched the Bengals for 30 years and I'll be watching them until I die. I will not forgive this a**h***. You guys can pretend he was not shooting pool till 4am the day of a game. You can pretend he wants to play here. You can pretend he was in a car wreck and couldn't make the game. You can pretend he was hurt most of the year.You can pretend you are real Bengals fan and you have the right to tell Mr. Dillon to lick your "taint " but you won't. You will live in the past. The LOSING past.

I just hope all you Dillon "supporters" get smacked upside the head with his ahletic supporter next year. The truth hurts but you guys need a dose.

WOW! You guys are some forgiving fans. I'm going to go in to work and act like Dillon! I'll throw off my gear at my co-workers(including underwear). Then I'll tell them how much I can't wait to go somewhere else and work. I'll act like I'm hurt and take the easy road while my co-workers bust ass. Then my boss will fire me if he has any balls.I know sports is unlike the real world but it's evident most of you have never been in a leadership role.

Saying that I am selling Marvin short. You guys act like this is odd behavior for Corey. Well let me tell you"It's not". How hard is a guy going to play who wants out? How hard is W. Anderson going to block for good ole # 28? GET REAL!

Rudi has not proven himself yet? That's borderline crazy. What else does he need to prove? Sure he didn't lead the team in rushing for 8 years but he performed when he got the chance. He led the SEC in rushing and that speaks volumes.

I've watched the Bengals for 30 years and  I'll be watching them until I die. I will not forgive this a**h***. You guys can pretend he was not shooting pool till 4am the day of a game. You can pretend he wants to play here. You can pretend he was in a car wreck and couldn't make the game. You can pretend he was hurt most of the year.You can pretend you are real Bengals fan and you have the right to tell Mr. Dillon to lick your "taint " but you won't. You will live in the past. The LOSING past.

I just hope all you Dillon "supporters" get smacked upside the head with his ahletic supporter next year. The truth hurts but you guys need a dose.

The difference between you and Dillon is that Dillon will be in the hall of fame. (That's not meant as a slight towards you)

The Bengals should only get rid of Dillon if they get something in return...

Willie will block when Marvin says block.

The SEC isn't the NFL...Rudi isn't the back that Dillon is, but he also doesn't have the attitude that Dillon has and he isn't a steap drop from Dillon either....

Who do I want running the ball for the Bengals next year? Rudi of course. But I know this will rub some people the wrong way, I don't think you need a feature back to suceed in the NFL in this day and age....Look how many of the top rushers didn't make it to the playoffs or were out in the first round....

The fact of the matter is the Bengals have a player under contract that still has a real worth in the NFL...They have to take advantage of that, be it trade him, or play him....

Geez Who Dey Again...Why don't you tell us what you really feel? :lol: You came in cocked and locked and blasted with both barrels!! All good stuff. Especially about how the offensive line might not block like they used to for Dillon. I know I wouldn't bust my ass for a player who did what he did! B)

any one who questions me being a "true Bengals fan" must prepare to look like an ass.

I don't think anyone is questioning that. I consider everyone presently here at this forum are real Bengal fans, who are here right now in the off-season discussing all the topics we have before us.

After the Bengals start winning next season, then we will see a huge influx of "Bandwagon Jumpers". I don't know how I'm gonna handle those folks. I think it'll be on a case by case basis. Everybody gets a chance with me. Screw it up, and you're on your own. B)

who dey again your analogy is, to be nice, wrong. If i were to walk into my work, and strip down and throw my suit on the floor and walk out and say i want another job, ppl would just laugh their ass off. And u must work at a wonderful company where everyone wants to be there every day! man wake the f*** up. This is the real world, and 80% of the ppl in this world do not like their job or do not like the company that they work for. I know i dont, i say it everyday at work.

Back to my point, the NFL is totally different than any other job. Do i think the line will block for dillon if hes in there next season, yes. You wanna know why? Cuz they are professionals and they are adults. That s**t wont faze them longer than the day that it happened. I gaurantee Willie Anderson will be praising dillon if he stays. And also bro, grow up. If you stop liking someone just because they arent on your team your not a true sports fan. I will like dillon even if hes on the sh**ty cowboys next year.

To answer my question, when the game mattered the most, the browns game at the end of the season, who would u want running the ball? Dillon. He did great on his what 8 carries for like 35-45 yards, and what did rudi get for the rest of the game, like 12 carries for 31 yrds or something. I would not mind rudi in there, and yes, i think he will be good for us, but the better back is still dillon.

And your other point of saying he led the SEC in rushing...who cares, dillon lead the pac10 in rushing when he was at washington. That was college, this is the pros. There are tons of great college running backs that have done nothing in the nfl...aka k. carter.

To end my rant, im sick of everyone tossing dillon to the curb and saying hes a huge a**h***. He might be, but he had great reasons for it.

Do i think the line will block for dillon if hes in there next season, yes. You wanna know why? Cuz they are professionals and they are adults.

I wish I could support this, but I can't. Dillon is also a professional and adult and we all saw what happened.

If i were to walk into my work, and strip down and throw my suit on the floor and walk out and say i want another job, ppl would just laugh their ass off.

I work for the government and if I did this, I would be fired, fined and thrown in jail.

To answer my question, when the game mattered the most, the browns game at the end of the season, who would u want running the ball? Dillon. He did great on his what 8 carries for like 35-45 yards, and what did rudi get for the rest of the game, like 12 carries for 31 yrds or something. I would not mind rudi in there, and yes, i think he will be good for us, but the better back is still dillon.

Because when Rudi was in he was the key.. when Dillon was in they believed he was a decoy. Dillon was a benefactor of a passing defence while Rudi was stacked on.

And your other point of saying he led the SEC in rushing...who cares, dillon lead the pac10 in rushing when he was at washington. That was college, this is the pros. There are tons of great college running backs that have done nothing in the nfl...aka k. carter.

I think an injury that in all purposes ends a promising career mutes this argument. A better example would have been Ron Dayne.

To end my rant, im sick of everyone tossing dillon to the curb and saying hes a huge a**h***. He might be, but he had great reasons for it.

Then why does 75% of the city, plus his teammates want him out? Why does NO NFL team want to deal with him?

And u must work at a wonderful company where everyone wants to be there every day! man wake the f*** up. This is the real world, and 80% of the ppl in this world do not like their job or do not like the company that they work for. I know i dont, i say it everyday at work.

okay...I know I'm off topic, but this is a statement I cannot let pass. I currently work in a job I love. I'm heading to the "General Discussions" forum to start a new Poll, titled "Your job...Love it or hate it"

I better see your vote in the no column!! :)

And one more thing. I've had jobs I hated. Life sucked then. Look around and find something else. It's the right thing to do for YOURSELF as a person!! I changed occupations at 43, and have never regretted it.

Jditty47 you are just the dumbass I've been waiting on. I'm sure your job at White Castle really sucks. I bet you do bitch everyday about your job. Have you ever thought of going out and doing something about it? Instead of drinking bong water with your "bro's" why don't you try to better your situation.

I do live in the real world and I make more than $7.00 dollars an hour. I hate to judge(not really) but by your comments I can read you like a book.

First of all your reply about the Cleveland game. Dillon did not try to get out of bounds and he caused the issue before the half. I'm sure you can't remember that(bong water). I threw the SEC comment out there because some people act like he is some unknown,unproven player that was in the right place at the right time.

You defend Dillon because you lack smarts. By the way, I'm not nice!