Clarett - What a TOOL!

Kirkendall

INDIANAPOLIS - Maurice Clarett admitted Thursday that he wouldn't be able to take on the NFL as a rookie the way he took on the Big Ten as an Ohio State freshman.

He acknowledged that many people want him to fail and that NFL defenders will be gunning for him.

"I've been doing a lot of foot ladders and quickness drills," he said. "Probably trying to avoid more hits than college. I thought my first year (in college) I had something to prove, so I was trying to run people over. (Now) I think I improved my quickness and lateral movement in order to make people miss."

Clarett, 20, the football pioneer who - so far - has beaten the NFL draft eligibility rule, met more than 100 members of the pro football media on the second day of the annual scouting combine.

And he displayed deftness mentally that he hopes to match physically on the field.

Have you signed with an agent?

"I've got a couple in mind."

Is Jimmy Sexton one?

"He's a finalist."

Who else?

"C'mon now. That's personal."

But the sometimes playful verbal sparring with reporters was as much exercise as Clarett would get at the combine. Like many big-name prospects, he declined to work out and instead will perform in a private session the first week of April at Ohio State. He weighed 237 pounds, measured 5-feet-11 and had a 2year-old shoulder stinger examined by doctors.

By April, after five weeks of football-oriented workouts, Clarett predicted he would run a 4.4-4.5 40-yard dash and drop 7 pounds to his playing weight of 230.

"All the numbers they need to get they can get (in) April," he said.

Some NFL executives criticized his decision not to work out.

"That's a farce. That was expected that he wouldn't work out. That's ridiculous," said Tom Donahoe, president and general manager of the Buffalo Bills. "You have immediate questions on what kind of shape is he in, why he's not prepared to work out."

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis was not critical, but said NFL scouts would have to put stock into Clarett's game film from Ohio State.

"This tape is going to weigh heavy on him," Lewis said. "You don't play football in your shorts."

Welcome to the NFL, Maurice. Thursday, in essence, was his first full day as a professional athlete.

"I feel like I made a transition," said Clarett, who was here as the result of a federal judge's ruling Feb. 5 that struck down the NFL rule preventing players from entering the draft until they're three years removed from high school graduation. The NFL plans to appeal and file a stay in federal court in New York.

"It's truly now a profession," Clarett said. "I get to wake up and think about football and go to sleep thinking about football. I get to be myself."

Clarett - wearing the standard-issue gray NFL combine sweat shirt, emblazoned with "RB30" on the left breast - spoke confidently to the media, sometimes smirking as if to playfully toss peanut shells at aggressive questioners.

Clarett's off-field problems were brought up. He pleaded guilty Jan. 14 to a reduced charge of failing to aid a police investigation.

There were questions about his health and durability. He had a nagging shoulder stinger and arthroscopic knee surgery that forced him to miss three of Ohio State's 14 games in 2002. Still, he rushed for 1,237 yards and 18 touchdowns.

"Can they trust me?" he said when asked about an NFL team drafting him. "I think so. When I sit down with these GMs and head coaches, they'll have a good understanding of me. There's so many tests here, they can pretty much find out anything they want to find out."

Despite his notoriety and the fact he hasn't played in a game in almost 14 months - since the Buckeyes' national title victory against Miami in the 2002 Fiesta Bowl - Clarett is forecast as a late second-, early third-round draft pick by experts.

"I would like to go in the first round," he said. "As a kid, you dream of going in the first round. I really can't control that. Teams draft like what they feel they need. If they feel there's another person at my position that's better than me and they need that person, then God bless the other individual."

Finally, he was asked if the NFL money would change him.

"Change my address," he said.

One thing the NFL showed us last year, is that there is at least one GM dumb enough to fall for an agents sale's pitch.

I'm not mentioning any names (Tom Donohue Buffalo Bills).

In other News today, A quality young man, that has never had off the field problems, nor character issues, and most likely is the most physically gifted player next to Sean Taylor declared himself eligible , and that player is

Mike Williams WR, U.S.C. 6-5,230lbs. sub 4.4. '40 time. I'm predicting that he'll be drafted ahead of Larry Fitzgerald. Larry is talented, but Williams is bigger and faster.

Even though I firmly believe the defense should first be attended to in the draft, Marvin has always said he will take the best player available, no matter which side of the ball he plays on. It could happen. But so could absolutely THOUSANDS of other possibilities.

I think it's entirely possible Marvin won't actually decide who he's going to draft at #17 until he see's who was picked at #16!!

Eenie, Meenie, Miney, Moe.

Give us a draft that doesn't BLOW!! :D

I'm not mentioning any names (Tom Donohue Buffalo Bills).

In his defense, he was the most outspoken about Clarett not going through the combine. He called it a "farce".

Mike Williams WR, U.S.C. 6-5,230lbs. sub 4.4. '40 time. I'm predicting that he'll be drafted ahead of Larry Fitzgerald. Larry is talented, but Williams is bigger and faster.

Welcome to the end of a tradition most revered in the NFL.

Even though I firmly believe the defense should first be attended to in the draft, Marvin has always said he will take the best player available, no matter which side of the ball he plays on. It could happen. But so could absolutely THOUSANDS of other possibilities.

I think it's entirely possible Marvin won't actually decide who he's going to draft at #17 until he see's who was picked at #16!!

Eenie, Meenie, Miney, Moe.

Give us a draft that doesn't BLOW!! 

Billy, I just wish the draft would happen so we could all move on!

This from "Bengals.com", Marvin Lewis's comments on the Clarett situation:

BAD TREND: Lewis fears what the Maurice Clarett ruling is going to unleash. As he was expressing his concern Friday, USC wide receiver Mike Williams, 20, was apparently making plans to enter the draft after playing just two seasons: "Maurice is the tip of the iceberg, actually. I think it really hurts college football and education.

” There are a number of kids who have worked their tails off to receive an NCAA scholarship,” Lewis said. I'm not so sure they will work so hard if that (the draft) is hanging out there as an option. The uneducated person has no idea what these guys are in for. "Here's a guy (Clarett) who has ability, strength, speed, quickness probably, in order to have this opportunity. But there's going to be a number of guys who probably aren't prepared as he might be. And I think it's going to have a big impact on guys getting an education and college football.”

In other News today, A quality young man, that has never had off the field problems, nor character issues, and most likely is the most physically gifted player next to Sean Taylor declared himself eligible , and that player is

There's no doubt USC had a lot of talent last year, but I have no idea why people are now making Fitzgerald their number two WR in the draft. I don't care how big or fast you are, you have to catch the ball. :huh:

Larry Fitzgerald does that. I watched a few Pitt games this year (wvu, vt, um) and the kid can catch the rock. You can hit him one, two or three times (before or after the ball's there) in the air and he will catch it. Against wvu I swear there were at least two muggings flagged for interference where pitts' fitz caught the ball anyway :blink: and so the flag was waved off. :blink:

I had have to watch some more tape but no one on USC playing WR impressed me like Fitzgerald did. Pitt stank because they couldn't stop the run nor could they run the ball on offense. If they could have run the ball they would have beaten Miami that cold december night.

Have to disagree Richmond Matt... Although it was the consensus this year that Larry Fitzgerald was the best player in college football,and should have won the Heisman....

In talent...Mike Williams was considered to be the top WR in college football period. Even the writers that jumped upon the Fitzgerald Heisman train admitted that Mike Williams is just "sick" when it comes to the wr position.

I have no doubt that Larry Fitzgerald would be a top notch pass catcher in the league next season... However It's the consensus that Williams could be the top overall pick either this year,if his workouts go as planned.. or next year when he's almost assured another championship run with a very talented USC team.

I guess the real difference I see between the two are... L F gives you a very good # 1 receiver... His routes are polished,and he has exceptional hands...

But... Mike Williams is a gamebreaker.. His physical skills and hands,speed,size make him next to impossible to cover one on one. He could only be likened to what Randy Moss did in'98,and Williams could develop well enough to put Randy in an inferior class of wideout.

Listen to all of these draft experts... they weren't calling this the best crop of Wr talent (draft wise) until last friday when Williams through his name in the bunch.

Could Larry F.. go first overall this year to San Diego..?? Have to say no unless S.D. has another brain Fart....i.e.

1.draft jamaine Fazande ....

2. " " Ryan Leaf

3. trade away rights to Mike Vick

4. sign David Boston to outrageous contract

5... 2004..???? :lol::D:lol:

Have to disagree Richmond Matt... Although it was the consensus this year that Larry Fitzgerald was the best player in college football,and should have won the Heisman....

In talent...Mike Williams was considered to be the top WR in college football period. Even the writers that jumped upon the Fitzgerald Heisman train  admitted that Mike Williams is just "sick" when it comes to the wr position.

Have to say no unless  S.D. has another brain Fart....i.e.

1.draft jamaine Fazande ....

2. " "    Ryan Leaf

3. trade away rights to Mike Vick

4. sign David Boston to outrageous contract

5... 2004..????  :lol:  :D  :lol:

I'm going to have to watch some USC tape and look at this guy carefully. Admittedly, I've only seen a couple of their games, maybe this is why their QB put up better numbers than our own Carson Palmer (I hope) :unsure:

Aren't you glad the Bengals aren't number one so we don't have to hear about...... :(