Kurt Busch ARRESTED then released, for losing the chase

BengalszoneBilly

Nascar's "Bad Boy" just got a whole lot badder while visiting in my state of Arizona! He led a policeman on a 3 block chase, and three blocks in rural Arizona is quite a bit further than a city downtown block in metro Cincy!! I think this "Chase" was somethhing he did until he got himself to a spot where he could throw out whatever he was drinking.

AVONDALE, Ariz. – There's no question it's been a rough year for defending Nextel Cup champ Kurt Busch.

He failed in his quest to become the first back-to-back champion since Jeff Gordon (1997-98). And even though he did make the Chase, Busch failed to display the same kind of consistency during the season that he exhibited along his road to last year's championship. This year he seemingly has been up one week, down the next.

The defending Nextel Cup champion ran afoul of NASCAR officials at Darlington in May, first by cussing at race officials over his team's radio, then by throwing a water bottle at them while on pit road. Busch was repentant and apologetic afterward, but only after being chastised in a postrace meeting with sanctioning body president Mike Helton.

Busch was spun out by Jeff Gordon during the spring race at Martinsville. After repairs to his car, Busch came back on the track and promptly retaliated by intentionally banging into Gordon – but the No. 24 was no worse for the wear as Gordon went on to win the race.

And now we have Friday night's incident that happened just two miles from Phoenix International Raceway, perhaps the most embarrassing incident of the season for Busch – and it didn't even occur on the race track.

Busch received a criminal traffic citation – which carries a potentially heavier penalty than a conventional ticket – for reckless driving after being stopped for suspicion of being under the influence of alcohol.

Maricopa County Sheriff's Office spokesman Lt. Paul Chagolla told Yahoo! Sports that a deputy observed Busch's Ford cross a double-yellow no-passing line while also speeding at 60 mph in a 45-mph zone. The deputy lit up his emergency lights and wailed his siren in an attempt to pull Busch over.

But Busch didn't pull over initially (maybe he thought he was dealing with Barney Fife or some run-of-the-mill NASCAR official?), even running a stop sign along the way.

After nearly three blocks of failing to stop, according to Chagolla, the 27-year-old Las Vegas native finally pulled to the shoulder. Chagolla said Busch immediately told the deputy, "I'm Kurt Busch" – as if that was supposed to make it all right. Given the bad luck Busch has had this year, the deputy probably was not a NASCAR fan and definitely not a Busch fan.

According to Chagolla, Busch went from being indignant to uncooperative with the deputy – who called a supervisor for assistance in dealing with the Cup driver.

Unlike after being crowned champ last season, there would be no special treatment this time, no free pass befitting a celebrity, no quick autograph for the cop's kids before being sent on his way. No, Kurt Busch quickly was working his way to jail, not victory lane.

Busch reportedly refused field sobriety tests but did relent when asked to submit to a portable breath test of which the results are not admissible in court, according to Chagolla. The result of that test "confirmed a presence of alcohol" on Busch's breath, Chagolla said.

"With his driving behavior and the deputy's observations, including the smell of alcohol, Mr. Busch was taken into custody on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol," Chagolla said.

Then Busch received arguably the biggest break of the season – and again, it didn't happen on the racing surface. After being brought back to a portable DUI command post located at PIR, the Breathalyzer machine inexplicably failed.

Because Arizona law gives an arresting officer a limited amount of time to obtain an official result, and it would have taken too long to transport him to another testing facility, a very lucky Busch skirted a potentially very serious DUI charge – that is, if his blood alcohol level exceeded the state's legal limit.

As a result, the officer cited Busch with reckless driving, in essence a catch-all for all the infractions the deputy observed. Busch has a Dec. 22 court appearance in nearby Tolleson, Ariz.

Messages left for Busch's publicity director were not returned, though Busch himself downplayed the incident.

"This is nothing more than a speeding ticket," Busch told The Miami Herald. "And so things get blown out of proportion. Just a meaningless speeding ticket. I'm not that stupid on race weekend."

NASCAR had little comment on Busch's incident. "It's a traffic ticket as far as we know," NASCAR spokesman Jim Hunter said.

If Busch made a mistake, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt – even though I've seen the tragic consequences of drunken driving more times than I want to remember. And though there was the indication of alcohol, we don't know any more about whether or not Busch actually was under the influence.

But if he failed to stop for a police car and if he smarted off to a cop who merely was doing his job and if he acted as though he were too important to be bothered by something he might consider insignificant, he was nothing more than plain stupid.

What happened near the corner of El Mirage Blvd. and Broadway Ave., on Friday night is not something Busch should be proud of.

Even team owner Jack Roush, who splits with Busch after next week's race at Homestead, doesn't want to get involved.

"Happily, I feel that we can stand aside of it now and say it's none of my affair," Roush said.

What troubles me is that as the outgoing driver of the Crown Royal whiskey-sponsored No. 97 Ford, not to mention the new driver of the No. 2 Miller Lite beer Dodge next season, Busch has a responsibility to his sponsors, his fans – especially young kids – and to himself to maintain a sober demeanor befitting the champion that he'll be for one more week.

If he really had been drinking, perhaps Busch at least was a company man, enjoying some Miller Lite with a Crown Royal chaser.

But somehow, I doubt that's the kind of publicity his sponsors really want.

Isn't it weird how those Breathalyzers never fail when one of us regular "Joes" have to blow into one?

TI05MKBCR.gifBartender! I'm Kurt Busch, how bout one for the road!

Is it a wise idea to have Kurt Busch in the #2 Dodge next season, seeing it is sponsered by Miller Lite??

Wonder how Penske may have to handle sponsering duties?

Watch Dave Despain tonight on Speed... he'll have Penske on... (talk about ironic)

They just talked to Roger Penske, and he backed Kurt like a son! It seems as though Jack Roush just said to himself, "That'll teach the bastard what happens to ungrateful drivers that are supported so well by a team, that he wins the Championship one year, then bags on us the next!!" :angry:

Is it a wise idea to have Kurt Busch in the #2 Dodge next season, seeing it is sponsered by Miller Lite??

Wonder how Penske may have to handle sponsering duties?

Watch Dave Despain tonight on Speed... he'll have Penske on... (talk about ironic)

They just talked to Roger Penske, and he backed Kurt like a son! It seems as though Jack Roush just said to himself, "That'll teach the bastard what happens to ungrateful drivers that are supported so well by a team, that he wins the Championship one year, then bags on us the next!!" :angry:

Preach on brother!

I just find it funny how the guy drives the Crown Royal car and is going to drive the Miller Lite car after this season. If you drive a alcohol sponsored car don't drink and drive(don't do it anyway). I think I might have to kind of laugh a little at the Crown Royal commercial preaching responsibility with Kurt Busch driving in front of the other cars. Honestly, what an idiot.

Check this quote...OUCH!!!!!!!! Don't let the door hit ya Kurt!

Roush Racing president Geoff Smith on suspending Kurt Busch after police cited Busch for reckless driving:

"It's the last straw for Roush Racing. We're officially retiring as Kurt Busch's apologists effective today."

From Jayski.

Kyle Busch walks out on press conference: There were two post-race press conferences for the winner at Phoenix. #5-Kyle Busch ended the first one abruptly when he found questions about dealing with his older brother’s problems tiresome. After a lapse of about a half hour, the race winner returned and clarified his position. “The only thing out there for us to do is acknowledge the contents of the police report and whatever Kurt Busch will say or release at a later time,” he said.(Gaston Gazette)

AND In the PIR infield media center for the traditional winner’s interview, Kyle was queried about his emotions on the day when his brother was suspended following an encounter with local police Friday night. “The only thing I’m going to say is I’m behind my brother 100 percent and usually things in the media are false and that’s what it comes down to sometimes,” Kyle said. Soon after, USA Today reporter Chris Jenkins asked, “Kyle, what specifically has the media written this weekend that’s been false about your brother?”

“I’m not going there, bud,” Kyle replied. “That was a really, really inappropriate question.” He then got up and stormed out of the media center, only to return some 15 minutes later.(Speed Channel)(11-14-2005)

From Jayski.

Kyle Busch walks out on press conference: There were two post-race press conferences for the winner at Phoenix. #5-Kyle Busch ended the first one abruptly when he found questions about dealing with his older brother’s problems tiresome. After a lapse of about a half hour, the race winner returned and clarified his position. “The only thing out there for us to do is acknowledge the contents of the police report and whatever Kurt Busch will say or release at a later time,” he said.(Gaston Gazette)

AND In the PIR infield media center for the traditional winner’s interview, Kyle was queried about his emotions on the day when his brother was suspended following an encounter with local police Friday night. “The only thing I’m going to say is I’m behind my brother 100 percent and usually things in the media are false and that’s what it comes down to sometimes,” Kyle said. Soon after, USA Today reporter Chris Jenkins asked, “Kyle, what specifically has the media written this weekend that’s been false about your brother?”

“I’m not going there, bud,” Kyle replied. “That was a really, really inappropriate question.” He then got up and stormed out of the media center, only to return some 15 minutes later.(Speed Channel)(11-14-2005)

I know you are young Kyle, but grow the heck up! Or you will forever be lumped in with your brother...

I guess the question for the Kyle haters is, what should he have said about his brother? "Screw that guy. He's dead weight, and not even on my team...." As much as I dislike Kurt, and Hendrick's in general, if Kyle sold out his brother, I'd be quite disappointed.

Needed to give the typical "I love my brother, but he has to live with his mistakes."

That wouldn't be so hard????