Bailey Tagged.

Kirkendall

WASHINGTON (Feb. 18, 2004) -- Four-time Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey, already given permission to seek a trade, was designated a franchise player by the Washington Redskins.

The Redskins had until Feb. 24 to make the move, but it became inevitable after contract talks reached a stalemate last week.

The franchise tag keeps Bailey from becoming a free agent when his contract expires next month. It also means the Redskins have to make him a one-year, $6.8 million tender -- the average of the top five players at his position.

Keep this in mind fellas, the Redskins could have tagged Bailey to keep his price down and then trade him to the Lions. I'm sure as a UFA he could have gotten a hellva lot more than $6.8 million. Now this benefits the Lions with decent pay and the Redskins with a first and second rounder. Four picks in the first 2 rounds? Yea buddy, Joe Gibbs is BACK!

I agree about the franchise tag being used to keep the price down... Perfect scenario for a sign and trade deal... Plus Franchise players get 2 first round picks in compensation... Team could give up one this year and 1 next year.....

Maybe it's just me, but i personally don't like giving up first round picks....We've been bad for so long.. it was the only bit of hope i had going into most post seasons... :unsure:

This today from ESPN.com:

SKIN'S INTENT ON DEALING BAILEY

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

INDIANAPOLIS -- Several teams are interested in acquiring four-time Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey from the Redskins, but there is a stumbling block.

It appears that owner Daniel Snyder can't decide just what it will take from one of the cornerback's several suitors to make a trade pan out for Washington, and what level of compensation will allow the Redskins some degree of spin control if forced to rationalize his departure.

Bailey's agent, Jack Reale, had extensive discussions with four to six teams here before departing late Friday afternoon. Reale is seemingly convinced there are teams prepared right now to pay the price to sign Bailey to a hefty contract.

There seems to be a sliding scale Snyder is tossing out to teams. For the Detroit Lions, who own the sixth overall choice in the 2004 draft, a first-round pick might be enough, since the choice is so high. For a team with a lower choice in the first round, Snyder will demand more, like an additional second- or third-rounder.

One thing that remains obvious, officials from other teams concur, is that the Redskins will eventually send Bailey elsewhere for a couple of reasons. First, Snyder simply doesn't like him anymore. Something about a perception that Bailey doesn't really want to be a Redskins player for life. Second, the economics will dictate a deal.

Because the team has already placed the "franchise" designation on him, Bailey counts $6.801 million against the Redskins salary cap for 2004. As of Friday, according to NFL salary documents, Washington has, counting Bailey's charge, $79.851 million against its 2004 cap. That is only about $1 million below the spending ceiling.

Washington will get cap relief when defensive end Bruce Smith, who carries a tag of $8.84 million, officially retires. But even then, the Redskins will be tight against the '04 spending limit, and perhaps handcuffed in free agency by Bailey's situation.

Snyder could create more cap room by re-doing tackle Chris Samuels' contract and reducing his glitzy cap value of nearly $9 million. However, Jimmy Sexton, Samuels' agent and also agent for disgruntled quarterback Patrick Ramsey, likely wouldn't oblige.

One thing that remains obvious, officials from other teams concur, is that the Redskins will eventually send Bailey elsewhere for a couple of reasons. First, Snyder simply doesn't like him anymore. Something about a perception that Bailey doesn't really want to be a Redskins player for life. Second, the economics will dictate a deal.

I'm more inclined to believe the first rationale than the 2nd. Snyder has shown too many times he has no aversion to spending money on his team. He doesn't do it very wisely, but he still does it.

Tagging Bailey shouldn't have been a major shock to anyone. The first time it was mentioned was when they signed Arrington to a new contract. Look for McCallister to be next. Even at that, it'll still leave a couple of pretty darned good players on the market.

Fernando Bryant looks to be a pretty good compliment, and has exceptional speed. Jaguars may not be in a position to keep him with Donovan Darius being a free Agent as well. If we could get him for 2-3 million a year... Would seriously bring up secondary...

But ... a corner with his abilities in the draft could be found as well.. .. and would be cheaper.. just inexperienced.

Fernando Bryant looks to be a pretty good compliment, and has exceptional speed. Jaguars may not be in a position to keep him with Donovan Darius being a free Agent as well. If we could get him for 2-3 million a year... Would seriously bring up secondary...

But ... a corner with his abilities in the draft could be found as well.. .. and would be cheaper.. just inexperienced.

I'm not familiar with him, but after looking him up he doesn't seem to be the size that Lewis and Frazier like. His numbers seemed solid, but not great.

Lewis has called out Weathersby saying he expects more from him this year and expects him to work his way into a starting position. Given the potential that Weathersby is supposed to have and the fact that he's had a year in the system, do you think Bryant has more of an upside than Weathersby ????

Not sure about Bryant. I seem to remember the Jags getting burned good and often during a couple of their games...and by receivers who are not upper eschelon players. I like Vincent, or Taylor...maybe even that guy Winfield in Buffalo even if he is small.

nfl.com had an article recently about Fantasy Football sleepers. They had Carson Palmer listed first. They say if he's handed the reins that he could easily put up 300yds per...and that the Bengals (Who Dey!!) have probably the best young receiving corps in Johnson, Warrick, and Washington for him to throw to.

Have to say I'd agree with that assesment.

Not sure about Bryant. I seem to remember the Jags getting burned good and often during a couple of their games...and by receivers who are not upper eschelon players. I like Vincent, or Taylor...maybe even that guy Winfield in Buffalo even if he is small.

nfl.com had an article recently about Fantasy Football sleepers. They had Carson Palmer listed first. They say if he's handed the reins that he could easily put up 300yds per...and that the Bengals (Who Dey!!) have probably the best young receiving corps in Johnson, Warrick, and Washington for him to throw to.

Have to say I'd agree with that assesment.

I saw that one too. It also mentioned that he was going to have a good young line in front of him as well as the receivers. Ludwig has an article in Dayton Daily News saying that Palmer is just too good to let sit for another year. Skill positions seem to be set ( one way or another ) I'd like to see Schobel develop into the all purpose te that was expected ........... other than that it looks like the offense is ready to go. ( I'm giving Brat the benefit of the doubt here ) I'd still feel a little better with more depth on the O line as well though.

:) See you got home OK. I'm out all week again, but I'll give you a call on Friday.

Ludwig has an article in Dayton Daily News saying that Palmer is just too good to let sit for another year.

Somebody welcome this man into the world of the cognizant. No freaking DUH! Sometimes a grasp of the obvious can be elusive. :rolleyes: