A-Rod going to New York?

Kirkendall

NEW YORK -- Alex Rodriguez will be playing third base for the Yankees this season, alongside shortstop Derek Jeter, if Newsday is to be believed.

The 600,000-plus circulation newspaper on suburban Long Island, N.Y., reported on its web site Saturday afternoon that A-Rod is desperate to get out of Texas and would be willing to switch positions to get to New York.

Earlier Saturday, reacting to a report in Newsday's morning edition that talks of a trade were serious, a source close to the conversations told ESPN that talks are in the early stages but that it's a "longshot" the deal will ever be completed because of "many hurdles" that stand in the way.

According to the Newsday web report, those hurdles are in the process of being knocked down. No announcement is expected today, according to Newsday, as some minor technical details remain to be worked out, but the story reported that all sides remain confident everything will be finalized within a few days.

The New York Post, which is usually leading the way when sensational stories pop up, reported Saturday only that the Yankees have asked the Rangers about their interest in making such a trade, in which Alfonso Soriano would leave New York.

On Saturday afternoon, The Associated Press reported that the Yanks and Rangers had started preliminary discussions Wednesday night, according to a high-ranking baseball official, and that it's still too early to tell whether they will lead to a deal. Rodriguez has a no-trade clause but has said he would be amenable to a deal to the Yankees, the official said.

Soriano, 25, is signed only through 2004, for $5.4 million. He can't be a free agent until after the 2006 season. The 28-year-old Rodriguez is owed $189 million over the next seven years, although he can opt out after 2007. Thus, the Yankees would take on an extra $183.6 million guaranteed if the deal is consummated.

However, according to Newsday's source, the Rangers would be willing to foot some of that bill. The American League source also told Newsday that the two clubs talked late into Friday night about the trade.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman admitted to the Post on Friday that he has approached the Rangers about a deal, but was initially turned down.

"There are many times I float weather balloons to my counterparts," Cashman told the Post. "I won't comment on trade rumors, but it should come as no surprise that I am constantly floating weather balloons to my counterparts. Ninety-nine [percent] of them get popped and fall to the ground."

Texas officials did not immediately return telephone calls, according to the AP, which reached Rodriguez's agent, Scott Boras, only to have him say, "I can't comment on the situation."

The Post reported that the Yankees would likely have to give up Jose Contreras as well as minor-league catcher Dioner Navarro in such a trade.

The Red Sox and Rangers talked extensively this winter about a deal involving A-Rod, but could not get it done, thanks to A-Rod's contract. The two teams did agree to a trade in December, but the union refused to approve it, declaring that A-Rod was setting an unacceptable precedent by diminishing his contract's value.

Rangers owner Tom Hicks then announced that Rodriguez would stay with the Rangers, and last month the team named A-Rod its captain.

The Yankees recently lost third baseman Aaron Boone to what likely is a season-ending knee injury. The trade would create a void at second base for the Yankees. Enrique Wilson and Miguel Cairo would have to share the duties.

Rodriguez, who has 345 career homers, is coming off an MVP season in which he hit .298 with 47 homers and 118 RBI.

Stienbrenner sucks. It's just a case of the rich gettin' richer! Not that I have a love affair with Boston...I could care less, but I AM SOOO SICK OF THE YANKEES BUYING THEIR WAY TO THE WORLD SERIES YEAR AFTER YEAR!!

Nothing made me happier than when low dollar Florida bitch slapped those snobby bastards last World Series! I can only hope that trend continues with small market teams sticking it to the big boys with deep pockets! :angry:

Stienbrenner sucks. It's just a case of the rich gettin' richer! Not that I have a love affair with Boston...I could care less, but I AM SOOO SICK OF THE YANKEES BUYING THEIR WAY TO THE WORLD SERIES YEAR AFTER YEAR!!

Nothing made me happier than when low dollar Florida bitch slapped those snobby bastards last World Series! I can only hope that trend continues with small market teams sticking it to the big boys with deep pockets! :angry:

In Georgie Boys' defense, that man knows how to win, he demands it. Any of us wish for an owner like that in baseball. With all that said, count me in the anti-Yankee revolution. :lol:

Nothing made me happier than when low dollar Florida bitch slapped those snobby bastards last World Series! I can only hope that trend continues with small market teams sticking it to the big boys with deep pockets!  :angry:

LOl

As a diehard Orioles fan here, I personally just want to throw up.

I love A-Rod, and I cannot hate a single team more than the Yankees....

Not to mention that the best shortstop in baseball will now be playing 3rd base. That is absurd...

Now all I have until July are my Terps and my Natasha. :unsure:

I remember when I was a kid , I wished that I could have all the money in the world. Then as I grew up , I thought , what would I buy with all the money in the world..

George Steinbrenner has answered both of my questions...

If I had all the money in the world, I'd buy the New York Yankees...

Secondly , I'd buy the World Series. :lol::D:lol::D

You would have had no problem if A-Rod went to boston though would you?

Actually yes I did. When this discussion was going around, I hated the idea that only teams like Boston, LA, New York or Chicago could even think of this trade. It bothers me that most teams in order to win, need money to do it and this is the state of baseball today. No doubt the players are partially to blame, but the owners originally allowed this to happen with ridiculous contract agreements.

The fact is the players are the ones to blame. ALL OF THEM. That includes the ones on the Royals, Brewers, Expos, Tigers, Padres, BoSux etc. Whenever the owners even think about a salary cap the players are so quick to scream 'STRIKE' that you couldn't even blink. The last thing in the world the owners want is a strike becauwe the effects of the last player strike have only just now worn off. Another strike could damage MLB to irrepairable proportions.

No doubt about this. But I still believe with the dramatic increases in salaries is the fault of the owners from initiating such dramatic measures to develop "winning teams" and the players now have a new market value which is by far larger per position by almost 200% in the last 5-10 years.

That's right people, it is not the greedy, evil Yankees that ruin the game. It is our beloved players who we are so devoted to.

Actually you could support the Yankees are breaking the rules in the Union-Owners contract agreement by going over the payroll limit and forced to pay the luxury tax. Something that LOWER MARKET TEAMS CAN NOT DO. Sad thing is that any team could spend mass cash to win, but after a season or two, they have to go on a five year redevelopment plan which starts all over again. The Yankees, BoSox, recently the Cubs and the Braves up until this year all had the ability to keep those players and bring in other high $ FA without a period of redevelopment.

But the funny thing is, no one had a problem with the Yankees breaking the bank on payroll when it was for Danny Tartabull and Jesse Barfield and the Yanks were perrenial last place finishers. No, that's when baseball was in great shape

Well duhhh! :lol:

There are two people to blame here.

Players: Just like the NHL, they demand more money then they deserve and think drug testing is a violation of privacy rights. Both are destructive to the game as we're seeing right now and more to develop in the future. There stance has unwaved and I honestly believe that Donald Fehr is single-handedly bring baseball down.

Owners: They started this payroll outrage that they've been unable to recover from. Baseball annually loses $ because of the ridiculous amounts of mad cash sent to players that should be unemployed. They had the chance to change things in 2003 when they renewed the contract of the Union, but failed by not taking a tough stance, allowing the union to do what they want so baseball wouldn't go into another strike. I would have supported a strike this time if baseball would have gone on the right path, but they failed to do this and baseball will have MASSIVE problems when the next agreement is up.

But in the end, none of this matters. Because instead of seeing the big picture and discovering WHY baseball is in such a state of flux, it seems it is so much cooler and easier for you all to just say it's the damn Yankees. They did this. But the funny thing is, no one had a problem with the Yankees breaking the bank on payroll when it was for Danny Tartabull and Jesse Barfield and the Yanks were perrenial last place finishers. No, that's when baseball was in great shape

C'mon smiz, I never said I hated the Yankees, just sick of Stienbrenner. I'm just tired of seeing them in the World Series. Variety is the spice of life, and Stienbrenner is robbing the game of it. Flat and simple. Of course you're loving it there in New York, but doesn't someone else in your division get a chance anymore? No. Stienbrenners deep pockets prevent it.

I actually cheered for the Yankees the first couple times the went to the Series, but goddam, enough is enough already!! Oh, and as far as the Yanks being perrenial "last place" finishers, on the average of teams finishing in their respective divisions in the last 25 years, the NY Yankees are in the top 5 teams in winning percentage.

Now with all that being said, before I die, I would LOVE to catch one game, preferably a Sunday afternoon doubleheader, at Yankee Stadium. Can you hook me up? :blink:

BB we can alwats get Yankee tix........Just let me know for when.

Also think about this..EVERYBODY hated steinbrenner because he gets what he wants...But just because he spends money doesnt mean he is guaranteed to put a winner on the filed because of how much the players earn...Dan Snyder does the same thing...its not as easy as everyone thinks.

Looks like the deal is finalized.

Gammons had a great take on this on Sports Center. He said that the Yankees payroll would be about the same as that of the Braves and another team that I didn't catch. He then said that it would be close to the combined payroll of the AL Central, but that Steinbrenner was playing within the rules. He said that Steinbrenner identifies the players he wants, makes the deals and lives with the luxury tax. He said that he pays the tax and puts money into the pockets of other owners " like Cincinnnati who then put in their pockets instead of using it to field competitive teams." That's a quote .... he did say Cincinnati.

I think we were saying pretty much the same thing on this page a couple of weeks ago. To me, it points out how out of control the owners are in both directions ( over spending and under spending ), and how miserable a job Selig is doing as commissioner.

Really level the playing field. Stop steroids in all forms, Use the dimensions and mound height set down in the rule book, establish parameters for the hardness of the baseball, ( ie no more short fields for left handed hitters to launch short / cheap home runs with baseballs that should be labled Tru Flite or Titleist ), Set maximum and minimum payrolls for clubs based on average cross section of the players salaries ( Don't let owners use the preponderance of league minimum saleries or the union use the A - Rods and Bonds' to arrive at artifical averages ) and get a commissioner who will stop OK'ing contracts that violate the intent if not the letter of the cap.

Gammons had a great take on this on Sports Center. He said that the Yankees payroll would be about the same as that of the Braves and another team that I didn't catch.

I saw that same segment, it was the Mets

Calling Dud Selig incompetent would be a compliment at this point.

Really level the playing field. Stop steroids in all forms, Use the dimensions and mound height set down in the rule book, establish parameters for the hardness of the baseball, ( ie no more short fields for left handed hitters to launch short / cheap home runs with baseballs that should be labled Tru Flite or Titleist ), Set maximum and minimum payrolls for clubs based on average cross section of the players salaries ( Don't let owners use the preponderance of league minimum saleries or the union use the A - Rods and Bonds' to arrive at artifical averages ) and get a commissioner who will stop OK'ing contracts that violate the intent if not the letter of the cap.

Redsfan2, you and I see baseball alike. I echo your statements!! B)

Like i said the Yankee are NOT the problem...they play by the rules....and the are comminted to winning...I wish the Jets were as commited as the yankees are.

When I listed the problems with baseball as it is today, .... not all of them by the way ...... the Yankees were not included. It was not an oversight, because the Yankees are not the problem. Gammons said ( and I agree ) that the Yankees are playing within the confines of the rules.

My point was and is that the system is the problem. It's not the first time that this has been a problem. In the 1870's the Boston Red Stockings which had previously been the Cincinnati Red Stockings before moving won 4 of the first 5 championships by " buying up the other teams best players as fast as they could produce them." So to that point, I agree the Yankess aren't the problem. They merely are better at abusing the system that is in place than other large market teams. ( such as the Dodgers ) At least Steinbrenner has finally gotten good at it. There were a lot of years previously in which he spent what would in todays dollars, be a lot more money and still didn't have anything to show for it.

Most of the real problems will be resolved when baseball finally does today what they ended up doing back then. Get a real commissioner. I just hope it doesn't take as long this time.

To the Director ......... that's why I don't bother to post a lot of times ...... you've already said what I was going to. Instead I just sit here and say " yeah billy ..... tell 'em. Guess I could do like I was doing with Joisey Cat there for a while and just post " Yeah. What he said." B)

Boy, Boston fans must be screaming mad. How do the yankees get this deal approved?

"The Rangers are expected to reduce the interest rate on the money Rodriguez has already deferred to 1 percent from 3 percent. That could have jeopardized the deal because the union does not allow its members to devalue contracts; that was the rationale behind the union's rejection of Boston's trade for Rodriguez in December.

The Yankees had to add value to the contract for the union to approve it, and they did so in two ways: They guaranteed Rodriguez a suite on the road, a perk the Yankees almost never allow, and gave Rodriguez permission to link his Web site to the Yankees' team site." ;)

I fail to see any value added. :huh:

The Yankees had to add value to the contract for the union to approve it, and they did so in two ways: They guaranteed Rodriguez a suite on the road, a perk the Yankees almost never allow, and gave Rodriguez permission to link his Web site to the Yankees' team site." ;)

I fail to see any value added. :huh:

WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!!

The linking thing just pisses me off...I should link my web site to the Yankees...Bloody hell, it's a free world damn it....How dare the bloody yankees try to act like that is some kinda frikken privilage.

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Sorry...Web developer rant......

HAHAHA...I don't know what I like more, the Yankees paying even more salery to lose the world series, or the Red Sox missing out on A-rod....

The Yanks may be playing by the rules, and good on um for doing so...But they are destroying about 20 other teams in the process...sometimes you just have to take one for the team, and what the Yanks/Red Sox and now the Cubs is killing teams that just can't compete....Contract 2 teams? Hell, why not just contract all but 4 teams and go straight to the playoffs and skip the regular season....

Looks like Booney is SOL. Maybe he will come back here after he rehabs that knee.

We need him. Brandon Larson is not showing his skills as a MLB; I hope his development just takes a little while. I like Larson and if you are going to struggle on getting your feet wet with the Reds, this is the season to do it. eh?

So is there an estimate on the Yankees payroll for this year? I guess the trade in 1977 with the A's for Vida Blue for Dave Revering and $400K looks meek compared to this one. And they said it would have upset the competitive balance in baseball. Yeah right!