Carson Palmer

OrangeStripes

Carson Palmer has pulled of superb passing abilities since he came from Southern Cal. Just yesterday he threw for 27 of 33 and continues not to throw the ball for an int. the whole game. Not forgeting his 138? passes without a turnover.Not turning the ball over is another good way at looking at the bengals because that is the #1 rule to hold onto the football (and win). Not only do we hold on to the football but we make the other team force the turnovers. Our d-line isnt the GREATEST but its another reason we are 5-1. They didn't seem to do good against the run but thats what they might be working on this week and if they are, pits better be ready because if they arent, big ben might come in the game he might be coming right back out. :bengal:

One of the things that I found absurd when we drafted Palmer was that a number of analysts pointed out that he only had one really good year at USC. I actually counted that as an "asset" rather than a liability because he learned three different offenses while he was there (they kept changing OCs). If he could do that and still have a senior year like he had, I thought there was a good possibility he'd learn our offense (and defensive reads) fairly quickly. No doubt the way Marvin (and Kitna) brought him along helped a lot. Basically though, I have less confidence in Matt Leinart precisely because he has had four years to learn the current USC offense.

Carson now has a career QB rating of 88.9.....he's bringing that thing up fast...my lord.

5 more game like this he'll be avg a 93-5 rating...

I'm just waiting for the rest of the NFL to get on this guys nuts like they're on Payton mannings.

He'll be a top 3 player in the nfl in 2 years.

I'm just waiting for the rest of the NFL to get on this guys nuts like they're on Payton mannings.

I haven't heard a single analyst or opposing coach in the NFL who hasn't gotten on the Palmer bandwagon already. He is one of the hottest players being talked about in the whole league. I'm thrilled about it since it's about time the Bengals had someone like that! It just goes to show that a player doesn't really have to play in a large media market to get attention if he's a good story (combining with Marvin to bring the worst sports franchise of the decade back to success <g>).

One of the things that I found absurd when we drafted Palmer was that a number of analysts pointed out that he only had one really good year at USC. I actually counted that as an "asset" rather than a liability because he learned three different offenses while he was there (they kept changing OCs). If he could do that and still have a senior year like he had, I thought there was a good possibility he'd learn our offense (and defensive reads) fairly quickly. No doubt the way Marvin (and Kitna) brought him along helped a lot. Basically though, I have less confidence in Matt Leinart precisely because he has had four years to learn the current USC offense.

I never thought of it like that, but well said. :sure: With the finish of this upcoming game, I hope he'll prove once and for all that he was the best choice in that whole draft. As focused as he's been this year, I don't see a reason why he wouldn't break Payton Manning's record.

I think some of the experts were trying to make comparisons with Akili Smith who also had "one good year". However Akili actually only had 8 good games where Palmer had playing time during his true freshman year in 1998. Experience over a five year period with a guy like Norm Chow as a tutor had to be invaluable.

I like Byron Leftwich but he is not the QB Palmer is.

http://usctrojans.collegesports.com/sports...r_carson00.html

I used to make the same argument about Palmer learning multiple systems as well as playing for multiple coaching staffs in college. In my opinion Paul Hackett did the kid no favors by emphasizing a deep passing game built around Palmers huge arm without a running game and a fairly miserable offensive line. Palmer predictably failed under that system, but in the long run it made him more mature and he embraced Norm Chow's system as his last best chance to reach his potential. As for the one good year argument, it remains one of the most impressive individual quarterbacking performances I've ever seen from a college player. Nearly flawless.

And just for the permanent record....Leftwich sucks. Seriously. I know I'm the only guy who'll say that out loud, but there it is. I've never understood why he gets so much praise. Is it because people still fawning over the shootout over East Carolina or the heroic display where his lineman haul his ample butt down the field after the leg injury?

He's not developing. He's nearly the same flawed QB he was when drafted. He's never seen fit to correct his miserable technique, he puts a stupid amount of heat on way too many passes, and on any given day he's so inaccurate that I doubt he'd hit the ground if you pushed him out of a speeding car.

I used to make the same argument about Palmer learning multiple systems as well as playing for multiple coaching staffs in college. In my opinion Paul Hackett did the kid no favors by emphasizing a deep passing game built around Palmers huge arm without a running game and a fairly miserable offensive line. Palmer predictably failed under that system, but in the long run it made him more mature and he embraced Norm Chow's system as his last best chance to reach his potential. As for the one good year argument, it remains one of the most impressive individual quarterbacking performances I've ever seen from a college player. Nearly flawless.

And just for the permanent record....Leftwich sucks. Seriously. I know I'm the only guy who'll say that out loud, but there it is. I've never understood why he gets so much praise. Is it because people still fawning over the shootout over East Carolina or the heroic display where his lineman haul his ample butt down the field after the leg injury?

He's not developing. He's nearly the same flawed QB he was when drafted. He's never seen fit to correct his miserable technique, he puts a stupid amount of heat on way too many passes, and on any given day he's so inaccurate that I doubt he'd hit the ground if you pushed him out of a speeding car.

Palmer, I believe, was regarded as the greatest high school football player ever by a lot of people I heard?

I can see why now, he's got the most realized potential of any QB I've ever seen.

Also, I hardly think Leftwich "sucks," cmon now. He has a slow wind-up delivery, and gets hurt a lot, but other than that there's quite a few teams that'd welcome him as a starter, whether he gets better or not in the future.

Yeah totally agree with this statement. Never understood this at all. Even when they played us that Sunday night and he had the rushing attack complimenting him, what was his completion percentage, had to be below 50%.

yeah well Carson is awesome, th bengals are awesome, and we are 5-1, awesome.

I haven't heard a single analyst or opposing coach in the NFL who hasn't gotten on the Palmer bandwagon already. He is one of the hottest players being talked about in the whole league. I'm thrilled about it since it's about time the Bengals had someone like that! It just goes to show that a player doesn't really have to play in a large media market to get attention if he's a good story (combining with Marvin to bring the worst sports franchise of the decade back to success <g>).

I mean fans of other teams. 95% of nfl fans think Peyton is probably the best qb in the league....

I'm waiting for the day when about 60% think Carson is, end of next season i think he will cement himself,but a better way to do it would to win a superbowl and break some records.

I mean fans of other teams. 95% of nfl fans think Peyton is probably the best qb in the league....

I'm waiting for the day when about 60% think Carson is, end of next season i think he will cement himself,but a better way to do it would to win a superbowl and break some records.

Given the year he had last year, I think Peyton earned it. But really, it's not like no one outside Bengaldom is giving Carson some love. He's all over ESPN (TV, .com, etc), magazines, TV, whatever you got. As far as Peyton and Carson being compared - am I the only one who saw the "Only two QBs have had 9 straight games with 100+ QB ratings" stat? Carson is the second to do it - do I have to tell you who the first was? Yeah, Carson's getting love from the media, and lots of it. He deserves it, it's fantastic, enjoy it.

And NFL Prime Time just got all over Carson too - Irvin compared him to Aikman. That's saying a lot - Aikman's the guy who punched Irvin's meal ticket, and I don't think he makes those comparisons too lightly.

Agreed, but I listened to sports radio all Sunday night, and watched some of the football coverage on Monday morning, and the people they were talking about were 1. Shaun Alexander, #2 Tomlinson, #3 Chad Johnson, and #4 Keyshawn Johnson.

Nevermind that Palmer threw for 80% and tied the record for most consecutive games with a passer rating of over 100. Maybe it is becoming common place to them.

[quote name='HairOnFire' dateAs for the one good year argument, it remains one of the most impressive individual quarterbacking performances I've ever seen from a college player. Nearly flawless.

As a Michigan fan, I had a lot of hope for Michigan in Palmer's senior year, but Iowa and Notre Dame totally shut down our offense. Each of those teams ranked in the top five defensively at the time they played Michigan. Later in the year, I watched Palmer totally shred both of those vaunted defenses in two amazing performances. The day he did it to Notre Dame was the day I knew we just had to have him on the Bengals (by then it was obvious we would have the first overall pick). I was so excited that we didn't screw it up and take Leftwich.

Ive heard a few people say that, and I tend to agree. I dunno about sucks, hes definitly no David Carr or Joey Harrington, but hes also no Carson Palmer. But he does get a lot of praise because he, like Steve McNair like to overdramatize their injuries in order to get sympathy for playing through them.

Just some quick stats I looked up to show how dominant Palmer has been this season.

He leads the league in completion %. We all knew that. 2nd place is Peyton Manning... and he is 6 percentage points behind. He would have to complete 39 strait passes to reach Palmers %! And only Brady and Manning have been sacked fewer times than him, so he is not taking too many sacks to reach his high percentage.

He leads the league in TD passes. Favre is in 2nd with 12... but has 8 INT's to Palmers 2! McNabb also has 11 TD's, and only 3 INT's, but to reach Palmers ratio, he would have to throw 9 more TD's without an INT.

All of this... not to mention having the 2nd highest passer rating in the NFL (next to Big Ben who has only thrown the ball 86 times to Palmes 197. That is 43% of Palmer's passing attempts!), and is currently tied for the record for most consecutive games with a passer rating over 100.

If he is not the front-runner for MVP, who is?

Ive heard a few people say that, and I tend to agree. I dunno about sucks, hes definitly no David Carr or Joey Harrington, but hes also no Carson Palmer. But he does get a lot of praise because he, like Steve McNair like to overdramatize their injuries in order to get sympathy for playing through them.

Pushy, please stop sucking up to me. It's embarrassing.

:lol: