12 in the chase, a cap on teams

CBin2k7

Jayski is reporting that next season NASCAR may move the chase up to 12 teams just so they can have more opportunities for people like Jr. and Jeff Gordon who struggle throughout the season.

NASCAR is looking at putting a cap on the number of Nextel Cup teams that can be owned by one organization, chairman Brian France said Saturday. France said the consideration was not prompted by the fact Roush Racing has five drivers inside the top 10 heading into Saturday night’s race at Richmond International Raceway. France said he is more concerned new owners won’t be able to break into the sport if they feel it’s impossible to compete without a minimum of three teams. France did not indicate what the cap number might be, but he said existing teams would not be penalized “for operating within the rules.” France doesn’t anticipate significant changes, if any at all, to the points system used to determine the championship chase. He said there are no plans to extend the 400-point cutoff. The only adjustment he could see would be awarding more points for winning a race.

The only adjustment he could see would be awarding more points for winning a race.

Make that my THREE biggest complaints!! Woohoo! B)

I'm not so big on that idea. Because it would reward Jr. and Gordon when they clearly shouldn't be in the Chase. Whereas Newman and Rusty could be punished for running top-ten a majority of the season. Now with the ten most consistent cars are in the Chase, everyone is a factor, because they've proven they can run top-ten anywhere making for a better ten-race stretch.

Hmmm. A dozen instead of ten? Sure, but no more than that or it becomes as meaningless as making the playoffs in those two "fringe" minor league (comparitively) sports known as the NBA and the NHL. I think they allow one team into the playoffs just on the point that they showed up for all their games! :rolleyes:

I'm not so big on that idea. Because it would reward Jr. and Gordon when they clearly shouldn't be in the Chase. Whereas Newman and Rusty could be punished for running top-ten a majority of the season. Now with the ten most consistent cars are in the Chase, everyone is a factor, because they've proven they can run top-ten anywhere making for a better ten-race stretch.

Victories should be rewarded much more than consistency. As it is now NASCAR is the only sport in which losing can be just as rewarding as winning. I would hate to see a driver win the championship every year the way Matt Kenseth won his a couple years ago. That championship was so tainted it forced NASCAR to create the chase format. Top 10's are good, and Top 5's are even better. And consistency is obviously a good thing too. But the bottom line in racing is to win, and the winners should be rewarded for their efforts. To only get 5 more points than the driver who finishes second is ridiculous in my opinion. In the current system, with bonus points the second place driver can actually earn as many points as the winner of the race, and that's just plain crazy. No one likes it and that's why it's being changed. Reward the race winner a lot more points than the guy who lays back and settles for a Top 5 or Top 10 and it'll result in better racing.

Hmmm. A dozen instead of ten? Sure, but no more than that or it becomes as meaningless as making the playoffs in those two "fringe" minor league (comparitively) sports known as the NBA and the NHL. I think they allow one team into the playoffs just on the point that they showed up for all their games! :rolleyes:

LOL ... I agree. A dozen is definitely enough.