Bratkowski will hold us back

richmond_mat

IF Palmer is coached well, then no matter what calls Bratkowski makes, Palmer will be able to audible out of it.

Don't get me wrong.I think Brat, is one of the weak links in the coaching staff, but considering our schedule next year, If we can get the same offensive numbers out of these guys next year, then we should do just fine.

Has anyone else noticed that the North rushed 16 times in the entire game!!!!!! ;)

Brat is a poor game caller. He panics and abandons the plan/run way too soon. Unless his game management improves we will not break the playoff bubble. :ph34r:

Have to agree that the offense was predictable, but it still seems to be the defense that Lewis is displeased with.

Any time that coaches / coaching is talked about, the offense and the special teams get passes and the defense gets called out for " special attention ". Of the 2 coordinators, I still think Frazier ( at this point ) is the more vulnerable.

I disagree. The defense had the excuse of poor personnel, the offense had the personnel but failed to convert the big plays either by running or passing (I blame play calling on this one). I have spoken of my wrath for Brat, and supported it countless times, because he's not using the offense to stay in tune with the personnel he has and his tendency of "panicking gives me reason for concern".

Since we're speaking of play calling, can anyone remember the last (if any) Bengals QB that called his own plays from the huddle? I myself would prefer this to some coordinator calling them from the sidelines. What's the consensus here? :blink:

Since we're speaking of play calling, can anyone remember the last (if any) Bengals QB that called his own plays from the huddle? I myself would prefer this to some coordinator calling them from the sidelines. What's the consensus here? :blink:

Damn, I don't know of hardly any QB outside of Payton Manning that calls his own plays on every down....I think it's better for the coordinator to do it, at least script it out and see how the game flows...I just think it's asking too much from the QB to call the game with the complexity of defenses nowadays. I do believe in giving the QB the freedom to run the offense on his own some of the time. I also think Kitna would be pretty damn good at calling his own plays most of the time. I would just be worried that a QB would get Bratitis and stop calling runs.

Okay...bratitis. Point taken. But I'm unsure if the meaning is in the vein of "Bratkowski" or just plain "brat". I think the former rather than the latter. That man wouldn't know to run if even if his ass was on fire!! :lol:

Damn, I don't know of hardly any QB outside of Payton Manning that calls his own plays on every down

Actually, I'm not so sure he does call his own plays. I believe that the offensive coordinator sends in about 2-3 plays, probably short handed, and then Payton picks the play from the LOS. At least that's what I heard.

Okay...bratitis. Point taken. But I'm unsure if the meaning is in the vein of "Bratkowski" or just plain "brat". I think the former rather than the latter. That man wouldn't know to run if even if his ass was on fire!! 

That's the damned truth.

I know I'm pro-Palmer, but I think even Kitna could call plays better than Bratkowski. Everyone remembers the horrid play calling in that last debacle with the Browns. I couldn't believe how fast he dumped the run!

Adding to Billlys comment, lets keep in mind, the end of the half against Cleveland Brat called a run with 39 seconds left with no timeouts left, forcing Kitna to a no huddle that eventually led to a thrown away pass then the embarrassing sack with 10 seconds left running the clock out. Yes, I know that Kitna could be at fault for that sack, but I tend to look at the 3 yard LOSS on a play that Brat called with 39 seconds left and no timeouts as the main instigator while Kitna gets all of the unearned heat.. This is logic, common sense.

Adding to Billlys comment, lets keep in mind, the end of the half against Cleveland Brat called a run with 39 seconds left with no timeouts left, forcing Kitna to a no huddle that eventually led to a thrown away pass then the embarrassing sack with 10 seconds left running the clock out. Yes, I know that Kitna could be at fault for that sack, but I tend to look at the 3 yard LOSS on a play that Brat called with 39 seconds left and no timeouts as the main instigator while Kitna gets all of the unearned heat.. This is logic, common sense.

I don't want to defend Bratkowpusky but lest not forget Dillon could have and should have gone out of bounds with 20 seconds left. :angry: CD stayed inbounds on purpose.

I say combine him with our number one pick and give it to almost anyone for 4-6 draft picks. The team can ill afford another round one pick. :ph34r:

When the draft smoke clears, round three is not much different than round 1 or round 4. Rounds 5-7 are when scouting pays off. Heck, Kenny Anderson would not have been drafted in the current nfl. Augustana?? ;)

I don't want to defend Bratkowpusky but lest not forget Dillon could have and should have gone out of bounds with 20 seconds left.  CD stayed inbounds on purpose.

Rich, I completely agree, but my stance is that Dillon should have NEVER been put in that position in the first place. To expect a running back with the attitude of knocking people out instead of finese think about the next rushing is not knowing the talent. Maybe there's more to the story than Brat's bad play calling.

Forgive me for not remembering... , but didn't Corey Dillon use to have a website for his fans..???

Yea, I think it's CoreyDillon.com. But I don't think it was for his fans, I think he used it more to promote himself as does most celebraties and selfish sports superstars (except Shaun Alexander, that dude is just a saint).

I think he used it more to promote himself as does most celebraties and selfish sports superstars (except Shaun Alexander, that dude is just a saint).

Your right about Shaun! I would love a Dillon for Alexander trade but I'm dreaming. The Seahawks game was great. There were more Alexander jerseys than Dillon jerseys.

Just think what his numbers would have been if he didn't have a bad ankle for the last season and a half. Let's send Dillon and Shaun home!We trade Dillon plus our second round pick then we sign Rudi and trade him to Dallas for thier 1st. We then end up with 2 first rounders(corner and DT) plus a Superstar at tailback.

I know it will never happen but a guy can dream!

Alexander does more for people than anyone that I can remember in recent memory. What he did while in Cincinnati goes far and above anything the guys playing for Cincinnati has done. He doesn't just do the league required charity work, but a thousand times more. Here's a snidbit from his foundation:

"The Shaun Alexander Family Foundation was established in January 2000 to immediately give back to those who have impacted Shaun's career. Shaun is the first player in the history of the NFL known to have established a foundation of this type before he was even drafted!

Shaun has committed his own personal funds to establish the foundation and, with the help of endorsements and speaking engagements, continues that personal support and involvement, as witnessed by Shaun's and the Foundation's active calendar. Therefore, all private donations are used to directly support the work of the foundation and not any administration."

Adding to Billlys comment, lets keep in mind, the end of the half against Cleveland Brat called a run with 39 seconds left with no timeouts left, forcing Kitna to a no huddle that eventually led to a thrown away pass then the embarrassing sack with 10 seconds left running the clock out.  Yes, I know that Kitna could be at fault for that sack, but I tend to look at the 3 yard LOSS on a play that Brat called with 39 seconds left and no timeouts as the main instigator while Kitna gets all of the unearned heat..  This is logic, common sense.

I don't want to defend Bratkowpusky but lest not forget Dillon could have and should have gone out of bounds with 20 seconds left. :angry: CD stayed inbounds on purpose.

I say combine him with our number one pick and give it to almost anyone for 4-6 draft picks. The team can ill afford another round one pick. :ph34r:

When the draft smoke clears, round three is not much different than round 1 or round 4. Rounds 5-7 are when scouting pays off. Heck, Kenny Anderson would not have been drafted in the current nfl. Augustana?? ;)

I'm not defending Brat either. I said on one of the other threads that I thought the play calling was predictable. ( you all know there's a "but" coming don't you ) ........... But ! I would like to play devils advocate and ask for your consideration on the following.

Jon Kitna and Chad Johnson had career years. Peter Warrick and Rudi Johnson showed up BIG on everyones radar screen this year. Keep in mind that this was done with a rookie starting on an offensive line that was .... to be nice about it ....... thin. It was also an offense that was without the services of its #1 running back, as well as the established #2 receiver for most of the year. The team routinely scored 20 and 30 points, did score 40 once and could have a couple of other times but took a knee instead.

Question .... given the above, does this sound like a bad offense ??? if not then how is that rectified with the perception of a bad offensive coordinator ??????

Conversely, name a player on the defense that had a breakout year ala Warrick or came out of nowhere ala Rudi.

2nd question ...... Why is the Defensive coordinator not being held to the same degree of scrutiny ????????

Limit your responses to actual events when drawing comparisons, do not use hypotheticals, and the profanity filter is ( click ) ON so don't bother calling me names.