Weathersby and Poole the Future starting CB?

CJBestInAFC

http://www.bengals.com/

Article about the cb situation for the Bengals. Sounds like they might be looking at Poole from USC as a possible first round pick at 17. I don't mind this pick. I think it will be a big help in improving our secondary. If this does happen, do you think getting a corner in FA is not going to happen? If yes, what other positions do you think the Bengals will target in FA? What will the rest of the draft look like in your oppinion if we do indeed go CB in the first? I do think Poole will be a major player in the NFL, and would be a good pick for the Bengals, but the article talked a lot about drafting Strait. Do we really need a corner that small? We already have Hawkins and Roberts why would we go after a small corner if the idea is to have big corners? According to the article Poole is a big hitter who can cover. Sounds a lot like Troy Vincent. Sometimes I wish time would just move faster. This is going to be one of the most exciting offseasons in Bengal's history. Can't wait.

B

Who they draft will be determined by the Free agents they sign. If they nab a CB in FA then they will probably draft a DT, safety or LB. It's really a lot of guess work until Free agency starts up. Of course you never know, a different position player could fall in their laps at 17 and they can't say no to, like a RB, WR, or OT...Of course they could use their pick to pick up a RB to try to force a team below them into a trade for Dillon and a draft pick...Say they haven't traded Dillon, the last top RB is on the board at 17, they get him, (then using Dallas as an example) Dallas says damnit and trades their 1st round pick (22nd I think) for Dillon....The Bengals get a good RB and a 1st round pick for Dillon...Not bad...probably(probably definately) won't happen, but a fella can dream can't he?

I've no objection to Weathersby and Poole as starting corners...in the abstract. But neither of them has had the chance to show anything in the NFL yet, so we don't know what they can really do. And even if we did draft Poole, and he and Weathersby looked great in camp and preseason, it would scare the hell out of me to start 2 rookies at corner at once.

I love Kev's.. aggressive approach to the draft..

Wouldn't be the first time that a team did the ol' poker move to force another guys' hand.

The question would be.. if we draft a Steven Jackson or a kevin jones... and traded dillon.. who would we have to settle on at 24..? Starks is gone.. Possibly Gamble , strait, poole , and DeAngelo Hall.. so we'd have to really get lucky to make sure we still landed somebody worth a number 1 pick...

of course... we could just make the Pats nervous.... and force them to trade 21 and 32 to us to get to 17...

Trade Dillon away for another 2nd. rounder and we could have 4 picks between 21 and 49.

I've no objection to Weathersby and Poole as starting corners...in the abstract. But neither of them has had the chance to show anything in the NFL yet, so we don't know what they can really do. And even if we did draft Poole, and he and Weathersby looked great in camp and preseason, it would scare the hell out of me to start 2 rookies at corner at once.

It'd be kinda like dangling a couple of bloody lamb chops in front of sharks wouldn't it ??? I like Weathersby, but he wasn't able to show a lot last year. I know the situation, and it was a wonder that he got to camp when he did. That is why I said he wasn't able to instead of he didn't.

A guy that nobody is talking about is Antoine Winfield in Buffalo. He's on the small side, but he tackles like he's a lot bigger. Constantly getting props on local coverage, and has been noted on ESPN .... Fox etc. I think it was Pasquerelli that said pound for pound, he was the best tackler on the Bills.

Not saying we shouldn't draft a quality cb if he's available, I just agree with Joisey that starting 2 rookies would make the games way too exciting for me ........ in the wrong way.

A guy that nobody is talking about is Antoine Winfield in Buffalo. He's on the small side, but he tackles like he's a lot bigger. Constantly getting props on local coverage, and has been noted on ESPN .... Fox etc. I think it was Pasquerelli that said pound for pound, he was the best tackler on the Bills.

Not saying we shouldn't draft a quality cb if he's available, I just agree with Joisey that starting 2 rookies would make the games way too exciting for me ........ in the wrong way.

I think there is no way in hell Marvin starts 2 rookie Cb's...He might as well wavea white flag and start looking at a top five pick next year. No matter what else happens in terms of Free Agency, I can promise you that the Bengals will pick up a top flight Corner. There are just too many good ones on the market not to. Also the Bengals other defensive needs would be better addressed via the draft(middle LB, DT, safety. I think the Bengals do expect Weathersby to at least be the nickel back when the season starts and maybe even push James out of his starting spot...

As for Winfield, I think that's the kinda CB that the Bengals will go after. Young, good man cover, and not the very top. They'll get better value for money that way....I still think it will be Plummer.