Prime Time TV for the Bengals?

rem356

Does anyone think we will get a Sunday Night ESPN or Monday Night ABC game in 2004?

If so, who do you want to see?

I would like to see us play Baltimore, Dallas or Miami on MNF, although I think we will get a Sunday night game, I think we may be hard pressed to get a Monday Night Game.

your thoughts?

All I can say is we damn well better get some prime time exposure this coming year. The Bengals deserve it after last years vast improvement under the guidance of coach Lewis! When was our last appearance anyway. I can't freakin' remember! B)

The Bengals are a lock to get a sunday Night game. I'm hoping for the first Bengals MNF game since the 1992 season. Now, last time we finished 8-8 (1996)we didn't get a MNF game, but there wasn't nearly as much hype around the team back then so I'm hoping the Bengals will get at least one MNF game. You know teams like the Raiders will get at least one MNF game despite their record, so we should get at least one. I want the Dallas game to be a MNF game. I wan't the Buffalo game to be Sunday NIght, or the game at New England.

I don't know. The tv schedule is set up like a year or 2 in advance isn't it ???? I know they are driven by ratings, and if the Bengals draw well then they'll be on more.

I'm optimistic because they seem to be getting a following around the country. I've noticed it here in New York, and I've seen other guys mention it on here from other parts of the country / world as well. I'd like to think that part of it is becasue of us hard heads that wouldn't quit wearing our jackets and jerseys out in public where ever we happened to be living.

The TV schedule is made up after the season. But I still think the NFL should leave it slightly flexable to move games to a Prime Time slot...but it'll never happen. You have to figure that with all the hype and attention Marvin Lewis has brought to this team, not to mention Chads antics they are gonna get some Prime time love. Not to mention the casual fans will be curious to see these new Bengals....I see 1 MNF game and maybe even 2 Sunday Games...Or at least one Sunday Night Game and a solo shot for a Saturday game. Honestly, I think one of the biggest things that will land the Bengals some real exposure will be Chad, the NFL pushes teams, but the Networks love superstars and lets face it Chad is a Superstar...

When was our last appearance anyway. I can't freakin' remember!  B)

Our last Sunday night game was the Falcons game at Atlanta in week three of the 2002 season. That was the 31-3(?) mess where Frerotte tried to throw it left handed! I can't remember if Akili started the next week (TB?) but then I think it was Kitna from there on out.

I think they will give us one Monday game (Dallas?) and one Sunday game (divisional game?) for now. I think we need to prove to the world that we are for real before they put us on anymore than that.

By the way what does everyone think about the idea of two Monday night games? Personally I don't like it. You could still end up with two crap games and you would only be able to watch one anyway. I'd like to see them leave the last six weeks open and then adjust the schedule after things shake out a little during the season.

jjakq27 brought up a good point. The Bengals last Sunday Night game was that horrible loss in Atlanta in 2002. The last MNF game was a 20-0 loss in Pittsburgh in 1992. We definately need to do well when we do get those rare Prime Time slots. The last time we won a primetime game was the 41-14 win over the Oilers on a Thursday Night game in 1997, when Dillon set the rookie rushing record for a game (broken later by Mike Anderson). The last time we won a MNF game was 1990, when we beat the Browns 34-13 in Cleveland. The last time we played a MNF game in Cincinnati was 1989, when we beat the Browns 21-14. Hopefully with the team getting better we'll see plenty of primetime, on Sunday night and Monday night, and even the Saturday games that kevnz mentioned!

If the Brownies got a Monday night game this year, then logic would have it that we should get one next year. Granted we were only 8-8 this season, and didn't make the playoffs like they did last year, but with all the national hype surrounding Marvin and the turn-around he's pulled with this team and with a marquee "never know what he's going to do next" ratings grabber like CJ, we should be there. Add a former Heisman winning, rising star QB in Carson and I'll guarantee an appearance on MNF. Of course my gurantees don't hold as much weight as Chad's.

I think at least one Sunday night game is a given (hopefully two).

As for having two Monday night games. I think half the fun of watching the game is knowing that the whole country is watching too (even if it is the Browns vs the Rams). Having two games would take away from that.

all good points...

We should at the very minimum get ONE Monday Night Game...I dont care if its home or away..just bring it either way.

Would love to see a big game against Baltimore late in the season for MNF. I dont think I would know how to react.

By the way, the NFL says the schedule will be out before the draft (April 24)

The primetime games are such a crapshoot, and there are only 16 of them. I doubt the Ravens will get a MNF game despite winning the division. Then again, the league hates us and loves you guys. Hell, you'll probably get three of them.

I agree with the late season game in Baltimore on MNF. That would be kewl.

It's nice to think that we deserve a Prime time game because of what we achieved on the field this year,but that simply won't be reason enough.

If and i say If , we do get a Prime Time game for next year, it will be because we set an attendance record this year,breaking 1990's attendance record by some 30,000 fans.

In a small T.V. market , that spells dollar signs to the producers of Monday NIght Football,which is what truly drives them, not the quality of football games or teams.

If we have a MNF game in 2004, I'd bet on Dallas. Dallas has a large fanbase and would compensate for the smaller Bengals fanbase. Also, it's a very interesting matchup because of the Marvin Lewis/Bill Parcells taking-over-a-program-and-turning-it-around angle. MNF shouldn't have a problem spinning some storylines for this one, and we know how they love to do that kinda stuff.

Anyway, if we do wind up on MNF, I bet it'll probably be in the first several weeks of the season... probably around week 4 or so. It just seems the logical place for us to go.

If we have a MNF game in 2004, I'd bet on Dallas. Dallas has a large fanbase and would compensate for the smaller Bengals fanbase. Also, it's a very interesting matchup because of the Marvin Lewis/Bill Parcells taking-over-a-program-and-turning-it-around angle. MNF shouldn't have a problem spinning some storylines for this one, and we know how they love to do that kinda stuff.

I second this post, I think they will get the MNF game and play Dallas as stated above. I also think they will get the late season matchup with the Ravens on Sunday night. Thats right, two primetime games....! :D