DRAFT

jbengals1

Cincinnati should land around 16.About dead middle.Players of interest there could be Kenechi Udeze de from U.S.C. Great player,great attitude,and is just as dependable against the run, as he is a pass rusher.With our defensive woes this year,and our ability to maybe land a top corner in free-agency,we should draft at least 2 defensive lineman.Oliver Gibson is a liability when john thornton leaves the field.Glen Steele might be kept,but with his lack of athleticism,he's a liability against draws and screens. After watching this game though i have to say this...........Keep Corey Dillon! If you want inconsitency in the running game,then keep bouncing back and forth with 2 different running backs with 2 different styles.Dillon started and was hot,and there was no need to take him out of the game.Congratulations to our Bengals,for the effort they played with this year,but there were plenty of times that our coaching staff(bob-bratkowski) got too cute with our offense.Chad Johnson is the star wideout.Peter Warrick is the # 2 guy needed to get first downs,and garbage yards. Kelley Washington is still a year away of developing as seen in his route running ,and adjustments to the ball.We have a pretty good 270 lb. fullback,which means there should be one guy behind him.And that guy should be Corey Dillon.Rudi is the backup,and he did what he was supposed to do.Carry the load while the starter gets back to health.Look at Dillon's per yard average since the charger game,and he's right there with Rudi,and he did it with less carries.A quarter back like Kitna even when he's hot , and even if he's got the ravens or bucs' defense can only take you to an 8-8 record.He's average,playing around some pretty good talent.

nuff said !

Chris,

If we go for a DT we can do better than Udeze I would think. I like Vince Wilfork from Miami. Some say he has a weight problem (6'2" 338 DT). Almost entered last years draft. If we go with a DT I hope we can get him. If not him then maybe Randy Starks from Maryland. He could be a better fit on the outside since we have OG in the middle.

Guys, it would be a waste to draft a DT in the first round. Remember Big Daddy? Draft the best player available, that was Marvin's words pre-2003 draft -- not including a QB.

I would also hope we don't use our Round 1 pick on a WR or a RB or even a TE. I understand the best player available but I think we have many glaring needs instead of the best player available. I can see the best LB, DT, DE, OL, or CB.

Marvin knows best though.

Guys, it would be a waste to draft a DT in the first round. Remember Big Daddy? Draft the best player available, that was Marvin's words pre-2003 draft -- not including a QB.

We also have not had much luck with QBs on the first round but look at what happened last year. Marvin went for a QB in the face of our past history with QBs. I would not mind seeing a DE with the first pick. That or a CB assuming we don't pick up either in the FA market. Maybe by draft day we will have Champ Baily in our corner. Wouldn't that be nice. Then we can focus on a LB or a Defensive Lineman.

Keep Corey Dillon! If you want inconsitency in the running game,then keep bouncing back and forth with 2 different running backs with 2 different styles.Dillon started and was hot,and there was no need to tke hima out of the game

Rudi is the backup,and he did what he was supposed to do.Carry the load while the starter gets back to health.Look at Dillon's per yard average since the charger game,and he's right there with Rudi,and he did it with less carries.

I agree with some of what you said but the Dillon thing is stupid! The man is an ass and has the leadership skills of a homeless drunk! Rudi is the future and Bennett is an OK back up. Corey needs to leave and fast! Anything else you said means nothing after those crazy words!

If the Bengals want to get better then say GOOD BYE COREY!

Running back situation.The running back situation is going to work itself out,and this is why.There is no way Cincinnati is going to let an angry,dissassociated,disgruntled, or whatever Corey Dillon is nowadays go without getting something in return, and that's a guarantee!! Corey Dillon likened his situation to that of Marshall Faulk's in 99'.Our Best option is for our Bengals to get at least 2 draft picks for him,however no matter what we get for him,we're still going to have to draft a suitable replacement because no matter how talented Rudi Johnson is, if he was better than Corey ,He would have beaten him out of the starting job,back in Preseason.Let's look at it in a postive note for what it is.Corey Dillon when healthy is a great back.Not a great blocker,not a great pass catcher,but when healthy he is by far one of the top notch runners in this league.Rudi is a good running back.There is a tremendous difference between the two.Anyone who cant' see that is usually running the Detroit lions.If a guy like Cedric Benson or Chris Perry is there when we pick in the second round(provided we have gotten an extra draft pick from trading dillon,then we have to take them,because they are "game-brakers" which is what Dillon is.Corey Dillon may be an ass,or the "modern player " whose more concerned about himself and his paycheck than the team,but no one was complaining when he carried us on his back for his first 6 years without a glimpse of light at the end of the tunnel.He's been in the record books twice,and he just broke 8000 yards rushing.Also, if he's such the jerk his mouth lets him to be,no one could ever question his ability especially after today considering he only touched the ball running 8 times for 50 yards a 6+ yard per average, and one reception for 11 yards and a first down.The man produces.Who cares what his mouth says.Maybe being in Cincy,is a hell for the guy,then trade him and be done with it,Ru-dey gives us,and him the option to leave,but Rudi isn't Corey."Corey Dillon is the closest thing to me as a running back i've ever seen since i left the N.F.L.-Jim Brown.

There is no way Cincinnati is going to let an angry,dissassociated,disgruntled, or whatever Corey Dillon is nowadays go without getting something in return, and that's a guarantee!!

I'm going to disagree with this. If the Bengals can't get anything in return of any WORTH, then they'll just release him. We need the money tied into his contract for the Bailey's that everyone so praises and demands.

If a guy like Cedric Benson or Chris Perry is there when we pick in the second round(provided we have gotten an extra draft pick from trading dillon,then we have to take them

Not going to happen. Perry and Benson will be gone by the time the Bengals come around the second. Plus, I can't justify drafting a running back in the 2nd round to fill a backup role, we have too many holes to fill to do that.

Corey Dillon may be an ass,or the "modern player " whose more concerned about himself and his paycheck than the team,but no one was complaining when he carried us on his back for his first 6 years without a glimpse of light at the end of the tunnel.

Very few people cared. By that time fans wanted to know which Mike Brown blunder would force our community to riot.

Also, if he's such the jerk his mouth lets him to be,no one could ever question his ability especially after today considering he only touched the ball running 8 times for 50 yards a 6+ yard per average, and one reception for 11 yards and a first down.The man produces.

I don't care if he gains 300 yards rushing, the man doesn't score. When it matters, he has historically tended to faulter on the goal line.

Corey Dillon is the closest thing to me as a running back i've ever seen since i left the N.F.L.-Jim Brown.

When Jim Brown played, running backs just ran the ball, something that Corey only knows how to do. Today, running backs have a variety of roles. They have to block, pick up blitzes, receive, check off hot calls, the modern running back has to be a renassiance man. Running backs are a dime a dozen, any one can run through a hole. Give me a back that's good in all aspects, not great in one.

I think the reason why Dillon's days are up is because he's not the Dillon that we've known to love. Although his attitude and way with the fans grabbed our affection and wrath, it matters not to me and most of us. I can show you his conservative running style, falling backwards when in a pile, or dancing before he gets to the line of scrimmage. He doesn't run like he used to with that careless abandonment. It's over, and it's time to move on.

Washington is going to franchise Bailey,and such will be the fate of Charles Woodson and Chris McCalister.Trading Dillon gives us the best chance to fill needs,and provide help in the running game.Rudi is a good running back.I just don't see him bound for greatness.He's good,and he could be good for years to come,but he's not the game-breaker Dillon is nuff said. and i'll end this topic with this fact... NEVER QUESTION WHAT WILL HAPPEN OR WHO WILL BE AVAILABLE COME THE SECOND ROUND OF THE DRAFT. The second round is ,and always has been the "lifeblood" of our beloved franchise.Every year,someone falls and to Cincy's credit we've usually been the beneficiary of it. We got Eric Steinbach this year,Corey Dillon in 97,Chad Johnson in 01', now granted we've had some Marco Battaglias' and a Mark Roman,and Charles Fisher,however i don't blame the athete on that one,but the coaching staff and Mike Brown for not scouting well.I've been writing for draft websites since 98'.... ,and as a fan of the Bengals, I love what Marvin Lewis did this past year.For the first time since (most of the 98 draft) I was checking off the same players that our team was,and that simply isn't an easy job to get the "best available" and get a need at the same time.With a few additional picks this coming year,and a little luck.we could fill all if not most of the holes free-agency and overall lack of talent will open. :P

Rudi is a good running back.I just don't see him bound for greatness.He's good,and he could be good for years to come,but he's not the game-breaker Dillon is nuff said.

C'mon Chris, you can't say that yet. Give him a full season before making your own decision on Johnson.

The second round is ,and always has been the "lifeblood" of our beloved franchise

We've done pretty well in the first round also: Palmer '03, Jones '02, Smith '01, Warrick '00, Smith '99 (hahahaha just kidding fellas), Simmons '98, Anderson '96.

BTW - you can't forget in the second round we also drafted Woods, Harold Green (he was ok), Carl Pickens, Lewis Billups, Boomer and Collinsworth.

We're not bad in the first two rounds. It's the early 90's that killed us (and is showed) and Akili didn't help.

i see you and I could have a long drawn out discussion about this whole situation

That's the best part of off-season. :D

Chris - You and I really haven't disagreed but on a few minor points. It's our perspective that challenge each other. While on your article you tend to look at the results from 2003, instead of the season after the draft. How would have Cincy known that Spikes would have left, Simmons failed being one of the best LB in the NFL. How would have Cincy known that Moss would have been, well Moss. Moss would have left anyway for greener pastures since his $76 million was the price to keep him in Minnesota. With that said, I'm glad that we didn't draft Moss because either he'd be gone or it would be Griffeyism in Bengaldom.

I agree that the 1999 draft was about the worst from top to bottom of all time.

Good article though Chris, you and I will have a lot of discussions this offseason though, it'll be a lot of fun.

I think you guys need to put absolute faith in Marvin, your front office, and the best athlete available approach. Look at what it has done for the Ravens. Out of 11 first round picks in team history, 1 left, 2 are rookies, and 1 is a bust as a solid starter. 7 others are going to the Pro-Bowl. I understand the disire to go for need, but drafting based on position and not need always helps. We took Suggs at 10 to play linebacker, a position we are already stacked at. Now that kid looks like he's going to be a monster. Of course, you can address need specifically, which the Ravens did by trading back in to get Boller.

The key is how good the scouting department is. All I know is that historically you guys have had virtually no scouting staff. Has that been addressed?

I agree with those who say let Corey go. You guys played over your heads this season for the talent you had. Talent-wise, the Bengals are a 5 or 6 win team. Through coaching that became 8, and could easily have been 9 or 10. You need a couple of years of solid drafting to build up the talent base to be really competitive. Let Corey go, draft yourself a nice stud RB for the future.

Interesting note on Big Daddy: in his MMQB column today, Peter King ran down his AP votes for players of the year and coach of the year. Guess who his defensive tackle vote went to? :D

I think you guys need to put absolute faith in Marvin, your front office, and the best athlete available approach. Look at what it has done for the Ravens. Out of 11 first round picks in team history, 1 left, 2 are rookies, and 1 is a bust as a solid starter. 7 others are going to the Pro-Bowl. I understand the disire to go for need, but drafting based on position and not need always helps. We took Suggs at 10 to play linebacker, a position we are already stacked at. Now that kid looks like he's going to be a monster. Of course, you can address need specifically, which the Ravens did by trading back in to get Boller.

The key is how good the scouting department is. All I know is that historically you guys have had virtually no scouting staff. Has that been addressed?

I agree with those who say let Corey go. You guys played over your heads this season for the talent you had. Talent-wise, the Bengals are a 5 or 6 win team. Through coaching that became 8, and could easily have been 9 or 10. You need a couple of years of solid drafting to build up the talent base to be really competitive. Let Corey go, draft yourself a nice stud RB for the future.

Terrell Suggs was a need pick !. They knew they were going to be without Mike McCrary, so they drafted the guy who was built and ran like him.Difference was they landed Anthony Weaver the year before,so adding Suggs as a linebacker was just common sense.

I completely disagree.

We needed pass rush, yes, but not more than we needed a QB, WR, RT, DT or FS. Suggs is a clone of Boulware. The team was planning on taking Boller with the #10 pick, assuming Suggs was off the board. They had him rated around 3, or 4, so when our pick came up, they ignored glaring needs at QB and WR and took Suggs.

what would you guys think of gamble if he came out for the draft

Gamble has a lot of potential but having only 1 year of experience at corner, or even on defense, scares me off in the 1st, I think. Were he there in round two, I'd be more willing to bite. Conventional wisdom has him going long before than, but ya never know...