Marvin Lewis not Bengals 1st choice

Geronimo

Sorry if this is a repost, but I am new to this board

I read recently on espn.com that Mike Mularkey, offensive coordinator of the Steelers, was offered the Bengals head coaching postion first and he turned it down. Lewis was offered the postion after that.

This is a disappointment to me because Lewis had been successful for a longer period of time. I believe Mularkey had only been coordinator for 2 years when offered the Bengals head coaching job.

"3. Mike Mularkey, Pittsburgh Steelers -- He has been on the radar for a couple of years. In an under-reported story, he was actually offered the Bengals' job and turned it down before it went to Marvin Lewis. That's not to say he was more worthy than Lewis but he is qualified, regardless of the Steelers' losing record. Smart and innovative. Also note that Lewis and John Fox got the Carolina job a year after they were hot candidates."

http://espn.go.com/chrismortensen/s/2003/1...11/1683912.html

I wouldn't call it under-reported. It was pretty common knowledge (no offense, G-mo) that Mularkey was Mikey's favorite. He was an offensive guy, for one thing, which Mikey's always preferred in the head coach's job, he came recommended by old pal Dan Rooney (whereas Lewis had labored and won a title for arch-fiend Art), and he was a young coach without a big support structure, so he wouldn't be likely to push for big changes on the coaching staff (as opposed to Coughlin, for example, who wanted to blow the entire organization up).

But Pitt was in the playoffs last year, and Mikey wanted someone hired ASAP. He interviewed Coughlin, then Lewis, then dithered and stalled until Pitt got eliminated so he could interview Mularkey. The story coming out of that interview was that Mularkey impressed (big surprise, eh?) but Mikey wanted a decision right away -- meaning Mularkey wouldn't have an opportunity to check out any other coaching openings. Mularkey refused to be rushed, however, so the job went to the candidate who, if rumor is to be believed, was being pushed by Katie Blackburn: Lewis.

Bottom line: Bengal fans owe Mikey's daughter big-time.

That makes more sense, that Mularkey wanted to wait to see if any other, better jobs opened last year. Now he will pay for not taking the job as he will be further down the list of candidates because pittsburg had a poor year this year. I guess if you have an NFL head coach offer, you should take it when you get the chance.

I am still disappointed that Mularkey got the first offer though. He only had 2 years coordinator experience. I'd rather have a more experienced Lewis (of course hindsight is always 20/20)

That makes more sense, that Mularkey wanted to wait to see if any other, better jobs opened last year. Now he will pay for not taking the job as he will be further down the list of candidates because pittsburg had a poor year this year. I guess if you have an NFL head coach offer, you should take it when you get the chance.

I am still disappointed that Mularkey got the first offer though. He only had 2 years coordinator experience. I'd rather have a more experienced Lewis (of course hindsight is always 20/20)

I'm glad he did wait. Of the 3, I thought Mularkey was a total idiot.

Have to admit that Lewis wan't my first choice either. I thought the team was in way too bad shape to turn over to a guy who had no head coaching experience. I liked evertying else about him, I just thought we needed a guy who had done it before.

I'da hired Parcells. B)