Phil Jackson

WhoDey42

I'm a big fan of Phil Jackson...hate the Lakers, but big fan of Phil. Especially after reading Phil's book, I am very surprised that he would go back to coaching Kobe. And I can't believe that everyone is believing Kobe that he is going to put everything behind him. As soon as theres a dispute in the locker room, Kobe is just going to go out and start to bash Phil and the rest of the team. I don't think Kobe has changed a bit, no one wants to play with him... and I can't believe Phil would want to coach him again. I don't think Phil would have come back to the Lakers if he wasn't with Jeanie Buss. But, thats just my opinion.

What do you guys think?

I'm not a fan of Phil Jackson, but I do respect him. I'm surprised that he would go to L.A. now. It's really a team of Kobe and a bunch a no-name guys and it amazes me that he'd go into such a situation. Phil has never been someone to breathe life into a dead team. He's been the kind of coach that can take a good team and make them into a champion. Anyway, it will be nice to be able to root against Phil again. B)

dont worry guys, this has officially started our return to NBA CHAMPS!!! Next season - playoffs, 2 years when all our salary cap is gone and we can make some moves - CHAMPS!

face it, every 2 years we make it to the finals. look it up, 46% of the finals EVER.

GO LAKERS :D

Hell, for 30 million dollars I'd put up with both my ex-wives. AT THE SAME TIME!!

Not even whiney-ass Kobe's got game compared to them! :lol:

Let me tell you what I think Phil intends to do here.

#1: Collect a check from the Lakers.

#2: Cash it.

#3: Repeat this process as many times as possible until they realize what the hell I'm up to!

I too am surprised, but Phil's getting old and this was a very convenient way to cash a LARGE paycheck. :lol:

Kobe trade? I don't see it, but maybe now that he has proven himself to be a loser it might happen. I'll call it a long shot at this point though.

The Lakers are the Yankees of the NBA. Love them or hate them, there aren't many inbetween.

I personally think that Phil Jackson is the luckiest coach in sports, and I hope that he fails in LA and finally shows the world that his teams made him, not the other way around.

Sorry, I've just never been a Phil Jackson fan. Oh, and I hate the Lakers, so maybe that plays into it, too.

I'm a tad bit late, but I'm putting in my two cents here.

Let me start of by saying, I respect winners in their respected sport. Phil Jackson is a winner. I think too many people confuse winning, and not winning. Anyway you look at it, Phil Jackson has nine championships. Only one other has nine. That has to mean something.

OK, onto my points.

First of all, I don't think this is about money. He's farkin' rich as it is and if he's looking to make an extra buck, I'm sure the lucrative market of motivational speeches at colleges or wherever will bring him the money, without the hassle of developing a team.

Secondly, Kobe is the best player in the game. But this is just as much a test for Kobe as it is with Jackson. If Kobe has problems with Phil, then he'll be labeled as a prima-donna cry-baby (well, more so than he already is). So I don't think Kobe will ruffle the waters. He just experienced his worst season as a pro, and I'm sure if he cares about the game -- which is questionable -- then he'd put his ego aside and join with Phil.

But as both should expect, each move will be analyzed and scrutinized to the fullest and if the opening segment on SportsCenter talks about the Lakers "thinking about their new meal plan" I will throw a fit. Trust me, I throw lots of 'em.

Lastly, I believe Phil wants to remain a Laker (not only coach, but front office) for the rest of his life (i.e. Jerry West).

And I think this is a legacy decision. I'm sure Phil wants to remove the bogus stigma that Jackson was put in great situations. Which he was. But he doesn't get the credit for molding those teams into his philosophy and taming all the egos involved. That's what a coach does. That's what 9-time champion Phil Jackson did.

Lastly, I believe Phil wants to remain a Laker (not only coach, but front office) for the rest of his life (i.e. Jerry West).

You hit on something I've been meaning to point out: Jerry West isn't a Laker anymore and do they have anyone who can fill his shoes? :blink:

I have my doubts about the Lakers being much more than mediocre until they find someone as capable as Jerry West was in the front office. <_< Heck, he's made the grizzleys into a playoff team. :P

Maybe Jditty can address this.

Secondly, Kobe is the best player in the game. But this is just as much a test for Kobe as it is with Jackson. If Kobe has problems with Phil, then he'll be labeled as a prima-donna cry-baby (well, more so than he already is). So I don't think Kobe will ruffle the waters. He just experienced his worst season as a pro, and I'm sure if he cares about the game -- which is questionable -- then he'd put his ego aside and join with Phil.

If you mean the best talent in the league, I'll agree with you on the Kobe statement. Until he learns how to be a team player and put the ego aside, he will never be the best player in the game.

Lakers suck!

Phil will not lead them anywhere with just Kobe. Kobe will not allow them to be led. I hope the Lakers franchise falls into the Pacific. It sure would clean up the coast a little. :lol: Besides, they're the 2nd best team in this city anyway. Behind Cal State LA... :o