Reds recent transactions

Kirkendall

The Reds decided not to bring back Ruben Mateo, Reggie Taylor and Russell Branyan.

They resigned Jason LaRue (thank goodness) and D'Angelo Jimenez.

Jimenez tore it up in the fall league. Too bad about Branyan. I always had the feeling he was on the verge.

Other gm's at the winter meetings said the Reds stayed in their rooms and didn't talk to anybody. Said for all they did, they should have stayed home and spent the money remodeling Allens office.

Jimenez tore it up in the fall league.

I heard that he dropped a ton of wieght and now he could fulfill a lead off role. I'm not sure about that, I haven't seen him, but it would be nice ot see Jimenez a full season.

Other gm's at the winter meetings said the Reds stayed in their rooms and didn't talk to anybody. Said for all they did, they should have stayed home and spent the money remodeling Allens office.

O'Brien hasn't convinced me at all yet. He's a professional in terms of what he wants to accomplish, but I don't know if that agrees with Reds fans. I'm thinking that O'Brien might be pawn of Allen and uncle Carl.

12 years and counting for the Reds to become competitive, the countdown starts here.

Have to agree on both points. Especially about O'Brien being a hand puppet for Allen and Lindner. I keep hearing about his longterm plan, but nobody says what it is. I also find it interesting that they won't answer questions about the size of the payroll.

I'm afraid Miley and the rest of us are in for a long year. Like you said this is year 1. Let's hope we're still not counting ten years from now. I'm getting too old for this crap.

I don't think Linder understands how to develop a winner in terms of baseball. He may know how to make money in other aspects of American capitalism, but baseball he hasn't a clue. For as long as he's around, he will not put a winning team on the field and if last year was his attempt at a championship run, then we are in serious trouble.

He's over paying some guys while the free agent market hasn't even been tapped. I don't see Dunn or Kearns staying much longer because of O'Brien's threat to find better pitching. We don't need FA pitchers, now is the time to draft and develop the younger guys. We know we're not going to win this year and probably next, so lets set the foundation for the future with a solid pitching core and the core of young bats.

Oh wait, I'm talking baseball sense, that doesn't apply to the Reds. Almost got ahead of myself there for a sec.

I don't think Linder understands how to develop a winner in terms of baseball. He may know how to make money in other aspects of American capitalism, but baseball he hasn't a clue. For as long as he's around, he will not put a winning team on the field and if last year was his attempt at a championship run, then we are in serious trouble.

He's over paying some guys while the free agent market hasn't even been tapped. I don't see Dunn or Kearns staying much longer because of O'Brien's threat to find better pitching. We don't need FA pitchers, now is the time to draft and develop the younger guys. We know we're not going to win this year and probably next, so lets set the foundation for the future with a solid pitching core and the core of young bats.

Oh wait, I'm talking baseball sense, that doesn't apply to the Reds. Almost got ahead of myself there for a sec.

Read a very interesting article ....... either Reds Report or Reds.com that Lindner didn't really want to be the majority owner. He was evidently talked into it by other native rich types in order to keep a lawyer from Columbus from buying the majority shares. They didn't think it was appropriate that an " out of towner " should have control of Cincinnatis ' team.

As it turns out, maybe we'd have been better off. Between Schott and now Lindner, Cincy types don't seem to be doing that well. Heck I don't care who owns the team as long as it stays in Cincy and the guy wants to put a winner on the field.

Wouldn't that be refreshing ??????

Read a very interesting article ....... either Reds Report or Reds.com that Lindner didn't really want to be the majority owner. He was evidently talked into it by other native rich types in order to keep a lawyer from Columbus from buying the majority shares. They didn't think it was appropriate that an " out of towner " should have control of Cincinnatis ' team.

As it turns out, maybe we'd have been better off. Between Schott and now Lindner, Cincy types don't seem to be doing that well. Heck I don't care who owns the team as long as it stays in Cincy and the guy wants to put a winner on the field.

Wouldn't that be refreshing ??????

Refreshing redsfan2? That would be just what the doctor ordered. There are no potential standout owners in Cincy, at least none that are making themselves known. Like you said...as long as the team stays in the Queen City, who cares who owns it. The more they want a winner, the better!

I don't know what to think of the latest Reds news...Our new manager Dave Miley appointed former Texas manager Jerry Narron as bench coach. That rounds out the coaching staff as follows:

Pitching Coach: Don Gullett

Hitting Coach: Chris Chambliss

Bullpen Coach: Tom Hume

First Base Coach: Randy Whisler

Third Base Coach: Mark Berry

Is this just Miley bringing in his team, or what? :blink:

Is this just Miley bringing in his team, or what?

They are cheap coaches. The overriding concensus in cincy was to bring Eric Davis back as the hitting coach, man that would have been sweet. A former Reds player, a beloved player during the 80s brought back to teach players how to hit.

If Pete Rose is brought back to the team, which is a strong rumor if Rose is reinstated, he'd be the best hitting coach but a horrible choice as manager.

Then again, when Rose was a manager the team was winning.

If Pete Rose is brought back to the team, which is a strong rumor if Rose is reinstated, he'd be the best hitting coach but a horrible choice as manager. 

That's because as a manager, he's just as he was as a player...and he wouldn't except anything less than a winning club. Again, I must say there is nothing more valuable to a team, in ANY sport, than ATTITUDE!

Marvin has proven it this year with the turnaround he's engineered with the Bengals. I honestly now fear the worst for the Reds! How cheap does (mis)management intend to go with this team? :blink:

Is this just Miley bringing in his team, or what?

They are cheap coaches. The overriding concensus in cincy was to bring Eric Davis back as the hitting coach, man that would have been sweet. A former Reds player, a beloved player during the 80s brought back to teach players how to hit.

I've got no problem with Chambliss as the hitting coach. One of the articles I read noted that Boone wouldn't leave the hitting coach alone and kept countermanding him.

Not sure about Gullet as the pitching coach. He's been in the position for a long time, and we've got precious little to show for it. Tom Browning is the only homegrown guy I can think of that was develped by Gullet.

Tommy Hume is OK with me as the bullpen coach as well. He's been with the team since god knows when. I know I've got an autograph of his on a black and white photo that's a little bigger than a passport photo.

Rose has way too much ego to be a mere hitting coach. He'd most likely still want to play and manage at the same time .............. :D Betcha he would :D

Rose usually managed winning teams, but couldn't get over the hump. His teams usually finished 2nd or 3rd. Davey Johnson and Lou Pinella were way better. Liked them both, but just plain loved Pinella. One sportswriter said he had all the patience of a 3 year old on sugar. I laughed till I choked when Pinella threw first base. I wish he'd of gotten a little better shot at Dibble in the clubhouse too. Dibble needed his ass kicked from time to time.

It just occurred to me that Marge Schott owned the team when all this was going on. You know how bad its gotten when your pining for the good old days when Marge owned the team. I can't believe she's still alive. She smokes like a chimney and drinks like a fish. You just know that old broad is on borrowed time.

Not sure about Gullet as the pitching coach. He's been in the position for a long time, and we've got precious little to show for it. Tom Browning is the only homegrown guy I can think of that was developed by Gullet.

This, I believe is a by-product resulting from poor front office baseball knowledge and patience. Every time Gullet tries to get his hands on someone, they are either released or unsigned in the off-season.

I'm tired of one year contacts that pay next to nothing from these guys that I'm sure know what they are doing. There are no guarantees on this team, no front office loyalty, no one knows if O'Brien or Allen is in charge, Miley has no idea what's going to happen to him after this season even though the hand dealt is about as sad as it gets. This is not only cheap, but down right tiresome, idiotic, unintelligent and moronic. If this is baseball now-a-days, then count me out. Otherwise, give me a winner, I'll go back to the games and support the tax hike given to Hamilton county voters from the new stadiums.

Not sure about Gullet as the pitching coach. He's been in the position for a long time, and we've got precious little to show for it. Tom Browning is the only homegrown guy I can think of that was developed by Gullet.

This, I believe is a by-product resulting from poor front office baseball knowledge and patience. Every time Gullet tries to get his hands on someone, they are either released or unsigned in the off-season.

I'm tired of one year contacts that pay next to nothing from these guys that I'm sure know what they are doing. There are no guarantees on this team, no front office loyalty, no one knows if O'Brien or Allen is in charge, Miley has no idea what's going to happen to him after this season even though the hand dealt is about as sad as it gets. This is not only cheap, but down right tiresome, idiotic, unintelligent and moronic. If this is baseball now-a-days, then count me out. Otherwise, give me a winner, I'll go back to the games and support the tax hike given to Hamilton county voters from the new stadiums.

You're upset ......... I can tell.

Giving your manager a 1 year deal is NEVER a good idea. #1, it tells the team up front that you've got no faith in the guy. If you had no faith in him, why did you hire him in the first place ?????? O'Brien was overruled on the Miley hire. That's fine, he's president ( Allen ), and that's his option to do so. My problem with that though is if your going to exercise that option then don't let the GM hamstring the guy going in. Make the decision, and then have the backbone to make sure the guys has a good contract.

I would agree more about Gullet if this hadn't been going on throughout several administrations. The only out I could see that he would have is if he had absolutley no input into what he was given to work with. If he didn't have the power to go to the manager and say this kid is never going to be more than a triple A guy ..... or this kid is never going to be a starter in the majors, then you have a point and he isn't to blame. But he has gotten widely proclaimed hot prospects that just haven't panned out. The most recent of which was Rob Bell. Comes in with the tag of " this kid can't miss ", and gets traded for basically nothing within the year. I like Gullet, but with the emphasis being placed on homegrown pitchers, I want to see him produce something out of this last batch of high picks that the Reds have gotten. If he isn't to blame, then the scouts who have endorsed these kids are. Either way somebody has to be held acountable this year.

Bottom line on Allen is that he needs to get fired. Even he was surprised that the fans at Redsfest didn't boo him off the stage. That tells you a lot. He knew he'd screwed up and was expecting to hear about it. Real problem is that Lindner knows jack about baseball, and depends on Allen to make most of his decisions for him. One of them is not going to be " hey Carl you could really do better than me as a top guy". All that said, Lindner is not a stupid man. I think he already knows that the one sure way he can get out from under the whole mess is to sell the team, and I think that is exactly what the is positioning himself to do. Low payroll ......... short contracts ....... new stadium that has been funded by the taxpayers and negates all the problems that would normally come with a small market team. The way the contracts for the stadium are set up, its a money making machine .......... add a winning team, and its literally a goldmine. I think Carl is looking to make his couple of mil and get out of the kitchen. Have to say the same thing about him that was said about Dillon " good riddance".

I'm upset too, but I'm ever the optimist when it comes to baseball. We've got a good core for the team. We get a good owner and good mangagement, and we're on our way with the Reds just like we are with the Bengals.