Bengals start mini-camp

jjakq27

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...SPT02/505170376

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Bengals begin on-field sessions

By Mark Curnutte

Enquirer staff writer

The Bengals will begin the first of 14 on-field coaching sessions today at Paul Brown Stadium.

The sessions will run the next four weeks, leading into the team's mandatory, full-squad mini-camp June 17-19.

The NFL's collective bargaining agreement allows 14 sessions of organized practice each offseason. No practices are allowed on weekends, according to the CBA.

Such sessions are important for many reasons, including the timing of quarterbacks and receivers in the pass offense.

Sessions are not open to the public

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...SPT02/505180345

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Fire up the scoreboard

Loaded squad sees plenty of points ahead

By Mark Curnutte

Enquirer staff writer

Bengals running backs coach Jim Anderson, one of the most optimistic people around, fired out his first "there you go" of spring practice Tuesday when tailback Rudi Johnson darted through a hole in the middle of the scrimmage line.

Then quarterback Carson Palmer threaded a pass across the middle to wide receiver Chad Johnson, who sprinted past the secondary into the clear.

Several onlookers also marveled at Palmer's quick feet, the result of his 20-pound weight loss since December.

Yeah, it was just football in shorts with no pads, but the optimism - especially surrounding the Bengals' offense - felt more legitimate Tuesday than at any time since Jeff Blake was lobbing rainbows deep to Carl Pickens and Darnay Scott in the mid-1990s.

With all of their young skilled players under contract through at least 2008 and all 11 of the 2004 starters coming back for 2005, the Bengals' offense is poised to become one of the NFL's most productive. The team was 10th in scoring in the NFL last year with an average of 23.4 points a game.

Palmer, entering his second season as the starter, on Tuesday was akin to a little boy on Christmas morning, not sure which toy to open first.

"I couldn't be happier with the power running game we have, the big, powerful offensive line we have and the speed on the outside; it's really a finesse passing game that we can run by you," Palmer said.

The Bengals re-signed unrestricted free-agent running back Rudi Johnson and wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh to long-term contracts in the offseason. Sixth-year wide receiver Peter Warrick, a singular talent who frustrates defenses on short pass routes, could be back from leg injuries that limited him to four games in 2004. Second-year running back Chris Perry, the Bengals' first-round pick in 2004, is expected to return from sports hernia surgery sometime this summer.

And center Rich Braham re-signed last Friday for two more seasons.

"Huge, huge," Palmer said when asked about Braham's return. "I couldn't have been happier with that, to have his experience, his leadership back. Then picking up two young centers (Eric Ghiaciuc and Ben Wilkerson) to guide them through and get them started off on the right foot."

Braham, the senior Bengals player, has been with the team since 1994. He has enjoyed few highs and a lot of lows. But even he is optimistic with the potential this offense has.

"I expect great things out of this group," Braham said.

There is continuity with the offense, both from a personnel standpoint and from working in coordinator Bob Bratkowski's balanced system for four years.

"I think what he (Bratkowski) is doing now is great," Palmer said. "Because we have a couple of young receivers (Henry and sixth-round rookie Tab Perry) that are in a new system, there doesn't need to be a whole bunch of new wrinkles.

WHAT THEY'RE SAYING ...

The Bengals return all 11 regular starters offensively from 2004. A sampling of thoughts on the offense's potential after the first day of on-field coaching sessions Tuesday:

"On offense, (you've got to) be able to block people, protect the quarterback, run the football and catch passes. We've got to go about it and do it."

Marvin Lewis, coach

"I've got a lot of young, fast, explosive guys around me, and as a quarterback, you can't ask for more than that."

Carson Palmer, quarterback

"It started with me just wanting to do anything I could to help the team. I had the one-year deals, and I wanted to help them get back to the good days even if I wasn't going to be here the next year. I wanted to have my time here at least well spent. Now that I'm back for another five years, hopefully more, it gives me the opportunity to see it through."

Rudi Johnson, running back

"To be a good team is not just about one person."

Peter Warrick, wide receiver

"We should be able to put up a lot of points."

Rich Braham, center

Ah, sweet goodness. Actual football talk based on some on-field observations.

The calendar is now counting down the days until me and the missus make the sojourn to Georgetown for the two days of scrimmage (that Friday/Saturday dealie). Can. Not. Wait.

Has anyone checked out the video clips from this weeks practices on bengals.com?

Yes I did watch all of them -- the only positions that stood out for me were the WRs. Some of the candidates were eliminating themselves. Overall they looked fast and fluid.

The Henry looked good. (Tab Perry was not there, because UCLA class has not graduated.) I liked the relationship I saw between CJ and Henry.

The offensive linemen looked hugh and chiselled (not flabby).

I also liked the drill where the LBs were doing their cross behind the DL man. The LB looked quick.

Not much REAL football --- BUT it was GREAT seeing the Bengals running around the field again.

It is tougher waiting, now that we've got Pollack and Thurman. I'm really excited to see the defense against real offense IN PADS.