Brown's Winslow in accident (Topics Merged)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3586756

Winslow's injury not life-threatening

Associated Press

05/02/2005

WESTLAKE, Ohio (AP) - Browns tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. was injured in a motorcycle accident, but the team said his injuries aren't life-threatening.

Winslow was riding in a community college parking lot Sunday when he hit a curb at about 35 mph and was thrown from the motorcycle, police Lt. Ray Arcuri said.

He was taken by ambulance to Fairview Hospital and was scheduled to be transferred to the Cleveland Clinic on Monday where the team's medical staff would treat him, Browns spokesman Bill Bonsiewicz said.

"He went over the handlebars and was real evasive about what the injuries were," Arcuri said.

Winslow was wearing a helmet, but it wasn't strapped on and flew off his head, Arcuri said. He and four other men were riding motorcycles in the parking lot, not far from Winslow's home.

The first-round draft pick missed nearly all of his rookie year after breaking his leg in the second game of the season. He has had two operations on the leg.

Just read an article that claimed Kellen Winslow JR was injured in a motorcycle accident. Hit a curb while riding in a parking lot and flew over the bars...losing his helmet in the process. The Browns haven't released details about how serious the injuries might be, but they did mention that they weren't thought to be life threatening. That's great, but it still sounds bad, ehh?

Anybody heard anything more?

I just want to say that I hope he's OK. Nobody wishes this stuff on someone. I lost a good friend last week in a motorcycle accident and just for the record, I think motorcycles are dangerous as hell. I still don't care for Winslow, but would never wish ill of him. Hope he's doing OK.

WHODEY !!!

Winslow was wearing a helmet, but it wasn't strapped on and flew off his head,
:wacko:

That's a good idea! Go to the trouble of wearing the helmet but not strap it on. A CLASSIC! I'll bet he's probably done that before....

Hope he is ok though.

They just gave an update on NFL Network. Most notable is how little anyone seems to know about his condition. Or to put it better, how lttle anyone is willing to talk about it. Thus, the most interesting fact Adam Schefter could add was related to the Browns paying a 4.4 million $ roster bonus to Winslow on March 1st that might have to be repaid due to a contract provision that specifically prohibits the player from riding motorcycles or engaging in other hazardous activities.

So I wonder what hurts more, having broken or bruised ribs or the threat of losing 4.4 million bucks?

I never like seeing anyone get hurt ........ <_< but I have to admit that I don't get as upset about some as I do others ........... Ya know ???

Oh and by the way ???? a Good Soldier always makes sure his helmet is secure. B)

What I don't understand is how someone getting paid so much to play a sport because of their athleticism/fitness would do something dangerous that he doesn't have much experience with, and NOT strap on the helmet?

Good thing he went to the Clowns, they deserve him...

Indian, it's because his head is too damned big and he's too damned stupid. He has a clause in his contract that says he isn't ALLOWED to ride a motorcycle, skydive, etc. unless he gives back most of his signing bonus. he's currently arguing that he didn't really RIDE the motorcycle since he didn't leave the parking lot...

Honest, Officer, it's not my bike. I was just holding it for my friend, when it flipped me. Yeah, that's it. :rolleyes:

So earily reminiscent of the Jeff Kent story from a year or two ago. No...really...I wasn't riding a motorcycle, I hurt myself washing my monster truck. Act ully, it seems that KW2 may be even worse off because I heard that he had just bought the bike. WTF? Your contract says you can't ride one but you buy one anyway?

A Cleveland area reporter being interviewed on ESPN Radio claimed that one of Winslow's neighbors had warned him about the possibility of injury several days before the accident after seeing Winslow and his buddies riding at high speeds and also practicing wheelstands and burnouts. Obviously the warning was ignored as the reporter quoted the neighbor saying the parking lot activity continued on a daily basis.