UC Bball

Boobie Clark

Alright...I expect to get boxed about the ears for bringing this up...but is it time for Huggins to go?

I love the Bearcats and Coach Huggins...all the consecutive 20 win seasons and conference championships are great...but he's never been able to get the team to win big in the tourney. If KMart hadn't been hurt in 2000, they had a real good chance of winning it that year, but that's it.

Perhaps moving to the Big East next year will interest a previously untapped group of recruits. Maybe not.

I know the history...the conference championships and 20 win seasons are nice, but are they enough? With a fresh start in a new conference, is it time to bring in a new coach? And if they made a change, who could come in and do a better job?

I love Huggins, and wouldn't be upset if he stays until retirement, but I'm not sure I'd be terribly upset if he left.

Be gentle Bearcat fans.....

Right now I would say no, but let's wait a couple of years and see how he does in the Big East. As of now, I don't think he has the players to be very competitive in the Big east. he always had good enough teams to win C-USA but now we are going to be facing the likes of Syracuse, Uconn, BC, and still have to tangle with louisville, and marquette. Huggins hasn't had a lot of talent lately, but his teams still play some of the best defense in all of the NCAA and they always play hard for him. Unless he starts recruiting a little better he doesn't stand a chance. He used to have a roll over clause in his contract where he was always under contract for four years, but since his DUI this year they took that out, so the clock is definitely ticking on old Huggy Bear.

Don't feel bad, either. Ever since it was announced we were moving to the Big East I have thought the same thing, and it will all come down to the W's

One interesting thing I heard today was that some people wanted to vote for Huggins for NCAA Coach of the Year! I just laughed and listened to their reasons. They said this UC team wasn't as good as the previous ones and they still had 26 wins which suprised a lot of people. I still think they had a great team anyway i dont know what people are talking about. Huggins will retire in 5 years, so let him coach till then.

BOOBIE!!! :o Long time no post, ya' turd! :D We gotta get together again for some beers sometime! drunk.gif

So you're asking if we think it's time to have the "Last Call for Barroom Bobby?" I don't think so. At least not yet. Like boomer said:

bengalboomer7 Posted on Mar 11 2005, 12:47 PM

Right now I would say no, but let's wait a couple of years and see how he does in the Big East.

Besides, who could you name off hand that could come in and do half the job that Huggins has done. Granted, they've been close many times and left without cigars, but I wouldn't cut the man off just yet, but what do I know...I'm a UK Fan! ^_^

Huggins is one of those coaches that you let coach your team as long as he wants to coach unless he gets into major trouble ... example Bobby Knight, but Knight is doing fine now at Texas Tech. Huggins gets the everything his players are willing to give him and goes and gets even more out them. Players respect him and will always play there hardest for him every night and that can not be said for every coach in the NCAA. When teams play Cincinnati they know they are in for a fight of there lifes. You have to respect that and let Huggins coach as long as he wants.

Huggins gets the everything his players are willing to give him and goes and gets even more out them.  ...When teams play Cincinnati they know they are in for a fight of there lifes.

Can't argue with this...or Billy's comments about the who could do the job better.

Here's hoping they don't choke against Iowa...then it'll be time to whoop UK's ass - you know, like Fla. did... :rolleyes:

Billy, love the beer drinkin' guys! Let's talk about seeing the Reds when they come to BOB, which I believe is July 8, 9 & 10.

Billy, love the beer drinkin' guys! Let's talk about seeing the Reds when they come to BOB, which I believe is July 8, 9 & 10.

Yeah, I like these guys too! drunk.gif (Sorry for ripping them off your Dave Matthews Band website Skyline, but they're soooo cool! :lol: )

Reds versus Diamondbacks plus beers in Phoenix this July!?! Pencil me in bro!!

The only reasons UC should let go of Huggins is if there is a serious breach of rules on his part or if the consecutive 20 win seasons turn into 15-16 win seasons. It just happens that Huggins isn't a good tourney coach. I don't know why that is. But think of a team like Syracuse and Jim Boeheim. For years he had the same label -- a great coach that couldn't win the big one -- but his time came.

The only check-minus I see for Huggins is that UC never seems to have much of a non-conference schedule. I don't know if that's entirely Huggins fault or not. Nevertheless, come tourney time, I'd rather have a couple of loses in some big games rather than wins over cupcakes. The big games help you to get mentally ready for the tournament and a team's mental state goes a long long way.

The only reasons UC should let go of Huggins is if there is a serious breach of rules on his part or if the consecutive 20 win seasons turn into 15-16 win seasons.  It just happens that Huggins isn't a good tourney coach.  I don't know why that is.  But think of a team like Syracuse and Jim Boeheim.  For years he had the same label -- a great coach that couldn't win the big one -- but his time came.

The only check-minus I see for Huggins is that UC never seems to have much of a non-conference schedule.  I don't know if that's entirely Huggins fault or not.  Nevertheless, come tourney time, I'd rather have a couple of loses in some big games rather than wins over cupcakes.  The big games help you to get mentally ready for the tournament and a team's mental state goes a long long way.

UC played Wake Forrest and Illinois this year.

I don`t think those 2 teams qualify as cupcakes....

Those two individual teams don't qualify as cupcakes, but those were the only two non-conference top 25 teams UC played this year. Last year, UC played only one top 25 non-conference team (Wake). And the previous year UC played three top 25 non-conference teams, and that the most I can remember UC playing in one season, at least in recent history.

If you think that one or two or maybe three games at that level is all you need, more power to you, but I'd prefer my team to play in more big games before the big dance.