The Unofficial Bengals-Patriots Prediction Thread

BengalNation1281

I would LOVE to see the Bengals beat the Pats this week, but I just don't see it happening. Till last week we hadn't beaten a team with a winning record on the road in this century. To do it 2 weeks in a row is asking just a bit much at this point. We need 1 more good draft and off season of fa pick ups, and next year we'll play any team anywhere .... but that's then and not now.

Even if this game was in Cincy, I'd pick the Bengals in a shootout. On the road though ..... Pats 37 Bengals 30.  :angry:

Bengals fans need to stop holding records that

Dave Shula, Bruce Coslet and Dick Lebeau amassed

against Marvin Lewis.

Fact is that Marvin Lewis HAD a 4 game losing streak

to teams with a winning record on the road.

Notice I said HAD ? ;)

Exactly...people are talking about how much this team has changed, and it has. So why are still looking at records from the past 10-15 years. This is a different team.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it all of a sudden we can't expect to much of this team ?? They are NOT the same team they were at the beginning of the year. We should have beaten Pittsburgh at least one if not both of those games played and they beat the Patriots and Philly. STOP thinking this CAN'T be done. That's why we play the games. It might appear improbable, but we are NOT expecting to much of this team. My prediction stands:

31-28 Bengals

WHODEY !!!

OK, I've been reading this thread with my eyebrows raised. I mean it's great that you guys have such faith in your team and optimism obviously abounds here but when I start seeing predictions where the Bengals are going to score 30-40 points against the Patriost at Gillette stadium, then I know all objectivity has been thrown out the window.

The Bengals offense has come on as of late, but you're playing the SB champs in a house they haven't lost in since Dec. of 2002. The most points they've given up this year at home is 24, and that was against the Colts, opening night. Even with the depleted secondary, the defense, especially the front 3 of Seymour, Warren and Wilfork, is playing some of its best ball. If KC and St. Louis can only out up 19 and 22 points respectively against the Pats when they are at home, how are the Bengals going to throw up a 30 or 40 spot.

With the Bengals run defense being as porous as it has been, you're going to see a lot of Corey Dillon and the time of possession I suspect will be in the Pats favor. I don't think the Bengals are going to see the ball long enough to put up 30-40 points.

34 -17 Pats (and I'm being generous giving the cats 17 points)

34 -17 Pats (and I'm being generous giving the cats 17 points)

If the Pats do hold the Bengals to fewer than 17 points, that'd be a first this year. The Bengals have scored at least 17 in every road game in '04: 27 @ Balti, 24 @ NYJ, 20 @ Tenn, and 17 @ Pitt, Cleve, and Wash. They're actually putting up more points on average on the road than at home, if you discount that crazy Cleveland game, about 18 at home vs. a bit over 20 avg. on the road. Even with the Cleveland game counted, the home scoring advantage is only about 4 points, because they've had their 3 worst offensive outings at home, 9, 14, and 16 points.

Why is it all of a sudden we can't expect to much of this team ??  They are NOT the same team they were at the beginning of the year.  We should have beaten Pittsburgh at least one if not both of those games played and they beat the Patriots and Philly.  STOP thinking this CAN'T be done.  That's why we play the games.  It might appear improbable, but we are NOT expecting to much of this team.  My prediction stands:

31-28 Bengals

WHODEY !!!

B) You are the same ArmyBengalFan that had us losing to the Ratbirds 31 to 13 on last weeks prediction thread aren't you ????? In light of that prediction, I think your " all of a sudden " comment is more than a little amusing.

OldSchooler .... Bengal Lady ... and WhoDey ...... Believing is cool ..... Hell .... that and clapping is all that keeps Tinker Bell alive. But it ain't gonna do jack---- against a perennial SuperBowl winner on their home turf. That's where reality steps from behind the scenery and looks ol' Don Quixote right in the eye. This is a " prediction " thread .... not an I'd like to see this happen thread.

Now, Do I THINK the Bengals CAN beat the Pats ????? Hell Yea. I know they CAN because they did it in pre season ( and I know that didn't count ... but I also know that the Pats fans were keeping track of how many years it had been since they lost a pre season game and I also know how badly it pissed off old BB ). It's an opinion folks not a dam vote of no confidence on the coach ... the team ... or for that matter any of you who disagree with me. Hell, I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

As for holding previous seasons against the Bengals and coach Lewis, I was one of the few who predicted a 9 and 7 season for the team this year .... after coach Lewis announced Palmer as his starter ( I see his following has increased in the last couple of weeks as well ). I haven't backed off of that so far this year and I'm not going to do it now either.

I'm glad we're winning games and that it is attracting new people to this forum. But, please do not attempt to lecture me on having a defeatist attitude or a lack of faith in the team and its coaching staff.

I'm afraid I may have to change my prediction <_< , as I find my FF team short on WRs, and must play TJ....something. :huh:

Pats win 31-10, TJ has 80 yards recieving and the only TD, all obtained in garbage time. B)

LOL good move picking up TJ Alphabet. He's good for 100 yards and a td this week... but it won't be in garbage time. In garbage time, Kelly Washington will get his 80 yards and a td.... while Chad and TJ are sitting on the bench smiling!

This is going to be a huge upset and it will turn heads:

Bengals 36

Pats 34

:blink::blink::blink:

NE will lose the home field and they will have to try and get back to the Super Bowl on the road... :P:D

Who Dey, Who Dey, Who Dey! :wacko:

they have a better chance to do it than u guys. u need the home field alot more than the pats do :\

I don't buy for one second hearing Billichek talk about how he thinks so highly of the Bengals, I think he TRYING to find something to motivate his team against a very confident Bengals team.

Funny, I was thinking exactly the same thing when I read BB's laudatory comments toward the Bengals. BB has obviously grown into one of the best coaches in the biz, but even the best have trouble keeping players focused and plying with a sense of urgency at points like this. Last week's laugher over Cleveland basically assures them of a wild card spot; even if they drop their last 4 11-5 will get them in. And the two worst teams in the league, Miami and 'Frisco, remain on their December sked. Even if they dropped their last two toughest games, against us and the Jets, as long as they win those two they win the East no matter what the Jets do because they'd then have the AFCE division record over NY. Really, the only thing left to play for is home field advantage vs. Pitt...and since the Pats are 6-0 at home and 5-1 on the road, even having that doesn't seem critical.

What your saying makes a lot of sense, however belive me when I say that this Pats team will play even harder because of exactlly those reasons. This is not just some team having a good season and making a playoff run, this is a team that has won 26 of their last 27 games two of the last three Super Bowls. Simply put they don't let down to teams they should beat. Thats not arrogance, it's just a fact.

Why is it all of a sudden we can't expect to much of this team ??  They are NOT the same team they were at the beginning of the year.  We should have beaten Pittsburgh at least one if not both of those games played and they beat the Patriots and Philly.  STOP thinking this CAN'T be done.  That's why we play the games.  It might appear improbable, but we are NOT expecting to much of this team.  My prediction stands:

31-28 Bengals

WHODEY !!!

B) You are the same ArmyBengalFan that had us losing to the Ratbirds 31 to 13 on last weeks prediction thread aren't you ????? In light of that prediction, I think your " all of a sudden " comment is more than a little amusing.

OldSchooler .... Bengal Lady ... and WhoDey ...... Believing is cool ..... Hell .... that and clapping is all that keeps Tinker Bell alive. But it ain't gonna do jack---- against a perennial SuperBowl winner on their home turf. That's where reality steps from behind the scenery and looks ol' Don Quixote right in the eye. This is a " prediction " thread .... not an I'd like to see this happen thread.

Now, Do I THINK the Bengals CAN beat the Pats ????? Hell Yea. I know they CAN because they did it in pre season ( and I know that didn't count ... but I also know that the Pats fans were keeping track of how many years it had been since they lost a pre season game and I also know how badly it pissed off old BB ). It's an opinion folks not a dam vote of no confidence on the coach ... the team ... or for that matter any of you who disagree with me. Hell, I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

As for holding previous seasons against the Bengals and coach Lewis, I was one of the few who predicted a 9 and 7 season for the team this year .... after coach Lewis announced Palmer as his starter ( I see his following has increased in the last couple of weeks as well ). I haven't backed off of that so far this year and I'm not going to do it now either.

I'm glad we're winning games and that it is attracting new people to this forum. But, please do not attempt to lecture me on having a defeatist attitude or a lack of faith in the team and its coaching staff.

Come on now. You can't honestly think that believing and the power of positive thinking has no impact on how well the team performs. That is crazy!!!

Coach Lewis uses that word and I believe that he is doing a superb job. :D

untitled2mn.png

What your saying makes a lot of sense, however belive me when I say that this Pats team will play even harder because of exactlly those reasons. This is not just some team having a good season and making a playoff run, this is a team that has won 26 of their last 27 games two of the last three Super Bowls. Simply put they don't let down to teams they should beat. Thats not arrogance, it's just a fact.

I question whether this Bengals team is a team the Pats should beat right now. Period.

Just like the Steelers should not have beat them at PBS and the Ratbirds should not have beat them in Rat Town. Heehawing jacka$$es like Sterling Sharpe, jelly belly gigglers like Lincoln Kennedy, and all the toad analysts out there should be beginning to get the picture about the Bengals after their injury-plagued and growing-pained start in 2004 -- this is a kick a$$ team of the upper eschelon in the NFL.

The Bengals are peaking, starting to put all their sh*t together. The Pats great run of 2 Super Bowls in 3 years, 21 straight wins, 17 straight at home, etc. is unprecedented. Granted Belichick has gotten his players in this position to think they should win every game. However, the Bengals are the better team IMO w/ Law and Poole out.

The Bengals O is more explosive than the Pats O but obviously the Pats D allows fewer pts than the Bengals D. I say Carson Palmer leads his team to victory on the road.

Bengals 30

Pats 26

Well, we'll certainly see come Sunday. But the Bengals have a lot more to lose this weekend than the Pats do. They may still be mathematically alive if they lose, but they'll effectively be eliminated. So I expect that they'll come in at a playoff tempo. It will be interesting to see if the Pats are ready to match their urgency.

You are the same ArmyBengalFan that had us losing to the Ratbirds 31 to 13 on last weeks prediction thread aren't you ????? In light of that prediction, I think your " all of a sudden " comment is more than a little amusing.

Go back and look again, I also said if they showed up for the game, the Bengals win a close one, hell I almost hit the score dead on. Honestly, I didn't think they WOULD do it, but have always believed they COULD, which they did. My point to this is no one gives us a chance when in all actuality we could very well be 8-4 right now or better and controlling our destiny in the AFC as far as playoffs are concerned. This team is not a pushover and I still BELIEVE we can and will win this game. Time will tell and I'm just happy we are able to have this conversation in the month of December, usually this would be over after the 4th game of the season.

WHODEY !!!

The importance of this game is very similar to the one last year in Baltimore. A must-win type game on the road. I'm ready to see how much we have matured this year and how far we have come in Marvin's second year. I know that the scenario is different(with last year being for the division lead) but it is the make-or-break game that the Baltimore contest was last year

Wheres all these lopp-sided Patriots scores coming from( I know PATS fans). But be real 30 pt. wins, we are hot in passing and rec. O.M G. PATS. d-backs are all banged up and we will own that part of the game. N.ENG. is due for a let down and this will be the week. If the Pats. are as over confident as there fans we will destroy them....Go BENGALS!!! :player:

The importance of this game is very similar to the one last year in Baltimore. A must-win type game on the road. I'm ready to see how much we have matured this year and how far we have come in Marvin's second year. I know that the scenario is different(with last year being for the division lead) but it is the make-or-break game that the Baltimore contest was last year

Good God, let's hope this one don't turn to crap like the Ratbird game last year :wacko: At least Rehberg is gone and can't go in for Levi if he should go down.

I'll predict the crowd noise won't be as big a factor for this game.

This is a bigger game than the 2nd Ratbirds last year IMO. Maybe or maybe not playoff wise but definitely team wise to shift things into a higher gear for greater expectations.

Wheres all these lopp-sided  Patriots scores coming from( I know PATS fans). But be real 30 pt. wins, we are hot in passing and rec. O.M G.  PATS. d-backs are all banged up and we will own that  part of the game. N.ENG. is due for a let down and this will be the week. If the Pats. are as over confident as there fans we will destroy them....Go  BENGALS!!! :player:

The Patriots D backfield has been without Poole and Law since the Pittsburgh game on Oct 31. Our D has been playing with two rookie FAs. In the 5 games since 10/31 the D has allowed only 65 points while the O, D, ST combined have scored 126 points.

Let down? Over-confident? You just don't get the TEAM concept, do you. Albeit the Patriots have had 1 real bad game in 2004 losing to the Steelers (injuries aside), tell me in the past two seasons when the Patriots over the past two RS and POs were overconfident or had a let-down taking ANY opponent lightly.

We as fans are not over confident. We are realistic in our hopes for the Patriots success just as you are for your team. Go ahead, be overconfident about the Bengals defeating the Patriots, but you had better not bet your house or job on a victory.

Can a Bengals victory happen? Anything can happen on a Sunday afternoon. But you are playing in our house, not yours. Patriots home record in 2003 and 2004 is unblemished (14-0 in RS games and 2-0 in PO games). The Patriots haven't lost at home since December 22, 2002. AS a STH, I've seen 17 home game victories in a row and 18 in-person victories in a row to date (I attended the Patriots/Miami game down there last season). I am really looking forward to continuing that streak on Sunday afternoon.

BTW, I had to travel to Dayton this past October to a College Hockey Tournament and decided to fly to Cincinnati Int'l Airport (how did it end up in Ky?) and had to pass your stadium on the highway. I couldn't see much but it looked really nice for the little I saw.

Good Luck on Sunday!