Time to scout our 2005 draft!

The Flanker from Hawaii caught my eye on Sat. night. Chad Owens

Had a big game, a smallish guy, like a Warrick or Chrebet. But mad speed and moves plus super glue hands. All tat'd up looking tough and mean.

Guy could be a 4th-6th round sleeper. I posted elsewhere that I'd like to see a big WR, a la Terrell Owen size, but could be convinced of a Big TE with decent speed and good hands.

I think it would be better to address the D-line in FA. Take guys ML has had around who are sold on his philosophy. Maybe another top CB to get going. We have good depth right now but we know how the injuries impacted us earlier in the season.

Priorities by pos.

1st Round - TE or CB

2nd Round - CB or D-Line

3rd - O-line or LB

4th - O-Line or LB

5th - WR or LB

6th - CB or RB

7th - WR

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I basically know nathan about College football, except OU ain't spit.

I usually enjoy visiting draft sites, but nowadays they want you to pay to view the information. ;) Whatever man, its not like they invite me to NYC to chill in the War Room.

Anyone know of any good, comprehensive, FREE draft sites?

Here goes nothing.

1. Alex Smith TE Stanford

2. Terrence Murphy WR Tx A&M

3. Scott Mruczkowski C Bowling Green

4. Marcus Jones DE/SSLB Louisville

5. Arrion Dixon DT Arkansas

6. Ryan Grant RB Notre Dame

7. Freddie Aughtry-Lindsay NC St.

If the Draft were today, and we only had 7 picks... Considering that we should be drafting around # 21 for our first rounder.. etc. etc.

" Guessing " who would be or who should be around for these selections I'm gonna go with

# 1. Travis Johnson DT, Florida St. The anchor of another great FSU defense Has size, quickness, and before the draft period is over, could jump into top 10-15 selections. If we're lucky, he's another Bengal ( Johnson ) only this time on defense. ;)

2. Ben Wilkerson C, LSU - Injury to Knee aside, he's the best in college. If we miss on David Baas in round one he's our guy!

3. Kirk Morrison LB, San Diego St. - Destined to play MLB in NFL. Pick # 2 and 3 could flip flop due to Wilkerson's injury!

4. Chris Kemoeatu G, Utah - Seriously Doubt a guard that can block and run as well as he can makes it through day 1, but we can dream can't we...? Any doubters about Bobbie Williams, well ( Kay-Mo-ah-tu ) is your man!

5. Bill Swancutt DE, Oregon - Holds team record for sacks and tackles for losses. Best thing about him is, despite his size, he plays the run as well as any DE in the country.

6. Craig Bragg Wr, UCLA - Size, speed, and return ability. Whatever Happens with the Peter Warrick, T.J. Houshmanzadeh situation , Bragg could step in immediately challenge Kelley Washington!

7. Victor Sesay TE, Missouri - He's 6'6 and can run, block ,and catch. He'll probably go higher than this, but considering his inexperience at playing football ( JUCO-transfer ) former basketball player, he'll still be an immediate impact at the TE position over Schobel,Stewart, and Kelly!

I basically know nathan about College football, except OU ain't spit.

I usually enjoy visiting draft sites, but nowadays they want you to pay to view the information. ;) Whatever man, its not like they invite me to NYC to chill in the War Room.

I got players lists by position off www.nfldraftscout.com about 2 months ago. It was free then and didn't even require a login.

Here goes nothing.

1. Alex Smith TE Stanford

2. Terrence Murphy WR Tx A&M

3. Scott Mruczkowski C Bowling Green

4. Marcus Jones DE/SSLB Louisville

5. Arrion Dixon DT Arkansas

6. Ryan Grant RB Notre Dame

7. Freddie Aughtry-Lindsay NC St.

If the Draft were today, and we only had 7 picks... Considering that we should be drafting around # 21 for our first rounder.. etc. etc.

" Guessing " who would be or who should be around for these selections I'm gonna go with

# 1. Travis Johnson DT, Florida St. The anchor of another great FSU defense Has size, quickness, and before the draft period is over, could jump into top 10-15 selections. If we're lucky, he's another Bengal ( Johnson ) only this time on defense. ;)

2. Ben Wilkerson C, LSU - Injury to Knee aside, he's the best in college. If we miss on David Baas in round one he's our guy!

3. Kirk Morrison LB, San Diego St. - Destined to play MLB in NFL. Pick # 2 and 3 could flip flop due to Wilkerson's injury!

4. Chris Kemoeatu G, Utah - Seriously Doubt a guard that can block and run as well as he can makes it through day 1, but we can dream can't we...? Any doubters about Bobbie Williams, well ( Kay-Mo-ah-tu ) is your man!

5. Bill Swancutt DE, Oregon - Holds team record for sacks and tackles for losses. Best thing about him is, despite his size, he plays the run as well as any DE in the country.

6. Craig Bragg Wr, UCLA - Size, speed, and return ability. Whatever Happens with the Peter Warrick, T.J. Houshmanzadeh situation , Bragg could step in immediately challenge Kelley Washington!

7. Victor Sesay TE, Missouri - He's 6'6 and can run, block ,and catch. He'll probably go higher than this, but considering his inexperience at playing football ( JUCO-transfer ) former basketball player, he'll still be an immediate impact at the TE position over Schobel,Stewart, and Kelly!

Look good to me B)

Picking at 21 would obviously change the landscape some. I'd still like to see trade downs if possible to let ML pick mid-rounders for D, but some of that trade down leverage drops off that low in the draft order.

Craig Bragg is an interseting WR. I saw a chunk of the USC-UCLA game. Bragg is quite good w/ real reliable hands.

Morrison is one I'd like to have seen but never did get to. Sounds the part, though.

BTW, Travis Johnson in a heartbeat if they go D 1st. He seems to be the better fit speedwise in the current system. It'll be interesting to see what is done w/ Shaun Smith and Terrance Martin, who got a good deal more size than the DTs already in.

In a ranking of prospective players done by NFL Scouting services Kirk Morrison is the 22nd rated player available.

* Everyone on the list is within the top 150 except Sesay ( TE ) .

- Got to watch a couple of Mizzu' games this year, and he's a playmaker. Athletically he appears to be more gifted than any TE Cincy has on it's roster, so he's worth the late round gamble.

www.nfldraftblitz.com is a free site which will give you a good idea of who is out there. I don't generally agree with their ranking of players or their mock drafts but they do get a lot of info about the players who are out there, and they also have writers for each team who talk about needs/desires come draft day. I have noticed a decline over the last 2 years in the quality of the site, and I think they are trying to become a membership site, but you should be able to pick up some valuable tidbits, and maybe recognize more names come draft day.

As for me, what I saw of Bragg was pretty impressive, I like Heath Miller TE out of Virginia although I support keeping Schobel. I saw the clip of Miller making a 1 handed catch in the endzone during the College Football awards show the other night and it gave me chills. I like DB Antrell Rolle from the U, DE David Pollack from Georgia, DE Dan Cody from OSU, OT Marcus Mcneill from Auburn, and I'd like to see the Bengals looking at QBs like Stephan Lafors from Louiseville, Matt Leinart USC, AAron Rodgers from Cal, because who knows if Kitna will stick around as insurance for Palmer or will he try to find a starting job with a team like the Bears??

and I'd like to see the Bengals looking at QBs like Stephan Lafors from Louiseville, Matt Leinart USC, AAron Rodgers from Cal, because who knows if Kitna will stick around as insurance for Palmer or will he try to find a starting job with a team like the Bears??

I don't see how Kitna will stay if his cap hit is gonna be in the $5 mill range.

Unless Kitna restructures again, a 3rd QB will have to come from somewhere but more likely from roster cuts than draft IMO.

The best free draft sites I've found are the:

http://www.gbnreport.com/ for player info/rankings (just another person perspective)

http://www.hailredskins.com/MockDraft.htm for summary of almost all of the mock drafts

# 1. Travis Johnson DT, Florida St. The anchor of another great FSU defense Has size, quickness, and before the draft period is over, could jump into top 10-15 selections. If we're lucky, he's another Bengal ( Johnson ) only this time on defense. 

Chris,

I like these first two here. Wilkerson would be a great pick here.

Where do you think Cody, James and Spears will land?

# 1. Travis Johnson DT, Florida St. The anchor of another great FSU defense Has size, quickness, and before the draft period is over, could jump into top 10-15 selections. If we're lucky, he's another Bengal ( Johnson ) only this time on defense. 

Chris,

I like these first two here. Wilkerson would be a great pick here.

Where do you think Cody, James and Spears will land?

To be Honest with you Who-Dey, the only thing that will keep Cody,James or Spears out of the first round will be thier workout numbers.

1. Dan Cody De, Oklahoma, - highly productive, but he plays next to a helluva' lot of talent on defense. He's quick, but he's undersized. HE doesn't have an array of pass rush moves and actually plays like an undersized defensive tackle than a DE. Hips are stiff, so asking him to be Justin Smith or Patrick Kerney would be a reach. But his production and quickness means someone will bite on him in the later first round.

2. Erasmus James DE, Wisconsin , - Natural Pass rusher, good quickness, very athletic, so what's the catch " not very strong, nor does he play the run as well as his close comparison to the '04 draft in Ohio States Will Smith. As a Pass Rusher, though he could become an elite like a Jason Taylor or a Jevon Kearse. He does have some injury concerns, but as an edge rusher, he could be quite disruptive. Probably goes in late top 10 to top 20 selections.

3. Marcus Spears DE/ DT, LSU - Very complete football player. Should at least turn out to be like Richard Seymour(New England). Great Size for a DE, 6-4 295 lbs. Average speed, but he's very active and always in pursuit. ON First and Second down he could be played as a DT, and on 3rd down, put against most right tackles and be effective. Very strong against the run, and plays with good leverage.

-*- ( After the '04 draft, he instantly became my " dream " pick for Cincinnati for the '05 draft.) Depending on his workout numbers he should be a mid to late first rounder. If Cincy ends up between 7-9 and 9-7 there's a good chance he's our first rounder.

alrighty, we'll end up being 7-9 or 8-8 and around15-20 in that area of picking. i would like a de, cb, or possibly saftey though there are alot of good ones for the 2-3 rounds we could go center or dt possiblely through free agency

After watching Julius Peppers play Saturday night, I'm hoping again that Marcus Spears falls to us. His supposed Workout Numbers should be through the roof.

6'4 295 lbs. and runs a supposed 4.8... ! Not bad for a big man, and he could be used in so many ways !!

Numbers for other top DE's...

1. Mathias Kiwanuka 6'6 255 4.61

2. David Pollack 6'3 280 4.7 ( He's probably going to be closer to 6'1 and 255 ! :D

3. Erasmus James ... N/A

4. Spears (already mentioned )

5. Justin Tuck DE, Notre Dame 6'5 245 4.61

6. Dan Cody ( not interested, but for the uninformed )6'5 275 4.75

7. Matt Roth ( Justin Smith type = not interested )

8. Bill Swancutt 6'4 260 4.65

9. Ardell Duckett 6'4 265 4.55

* This is a rough guestimate of probably how the scouts will view best to worst !