Time to scout our 2005 draft!

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clayton would be great and should be 2nd WR picked behind Edwards. Maybe Clayton's still there at, say, 10.

I'd like to see TE Heath Miller picked from Va. He'd start immediately and solve the TE problem. Miller might still be around at 15.

The more I watch the Bengals this year, the less I'm in favor of a defensive choice w/ 1st pick. There's just too many spots to address, which means the team has to put itslef in best position to light up scoreboard i.e Indy.

No Warrick has hurt because of his quickness on routes, cuts, and coming back to ball. Housh has shown enough flash to stick around but he can't route run like P-Dub. Mark Clayton can.

I'm saying WR or TE w/ 1st pick.

How about the Univ. of Oklahoma, they have at least 3 first rounders on the their team this year. wr-Clayton, qb-White, lb-Mitchell, c-V.Carter(who we should draft as Braham's replacement) are all going early in the draft and we should draft anyone of them, besides White of course.

I don't think there is any way Jason White is a first-rounder, but you are right about Oklahoma having 3 1st rounders. In my opinion it's more like Clayton WR, Cody DT, and Mitchell LB.

That's right West Virginia would kick the s**t out of Ohio St.    Hell our "B" Team (Marshall) had you beat at THE SHOE and what about Northwestern? Now that's a bad loss.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Take it easy there jamesbrooks. I'm a big fan of the mountaineers, but they haven't looked that great to me. Their offense can be very good at times, but with Kay Jay hurt those times aren't as frequent. Put that together with a premadonna receiver who is going to make reggie rembert look like a good pro and you have another bowl blowout on the horizen. B)

I hope I'm wrong. :huh:

Back on topic: Ben Lynch is a nose tackle (wvu) that will be around late and maybe worth the pick. He's as fast as it gets off the ball.

How about the Univ. of Oklahoma, they have at least 3 first rounders on the their team this year. wr-Clayton, qb-White, lb-Mitchell, c-V.Carter(who we should draft as Braham's replacement) are all going early in the draft and we should draft anyone of them, besides White of course.

I don't think there is any way Jason White is a first-rounder, but you are right about Oklahoma having 3 1st rounders. In my opinion it's more like Clayton WR, Cody DT, and Mitchell LB.

One Heisman trophy and possible another national championship should get him picked in the first round. Name another qb in college that is better than Jason White? Maybe Orton at the beginning of the season but he has fell out of the picture. Leinart is his closet competition and maybe you could make a case for Jason Campbell, he is having a great year. One good season is all you need to go early in the draft, just ask Carson.

One Heisman trophy and possible another national championship should get him picked in the first round. Name another qb in college that is better than Jason White? Maybe Orton at the beginning of the season but he has fell out of the picture. Leinart is his closet competition and maybe you could make a case for Jason Campbell, he is having a great year. One good season is all you need to go early in the draft, just ask Carson.

I'd rather have Orton, and Charlie Frye from Akron along with Andrew Walter from Arizona St over Jason White. A Heisman Trophy hardly locks up a spot in the first round.

Richmond you could very well be right about WVU. They have self-destructed many times this year. BUT, I still think they would beat Ohio St.

In terms of the draft, we gotta go D-line!

A Wisconsin D-lineman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:player:  :player:  :player:  :player:  :player:

A smart man ALWAYS see's his biggest problem, and his 1st move to rectify it!

Even just ONE good/great defensive linemen would reap huge benefits for the Bengals! :player:

Slow down Billy....

Our D Line needs a lot more than ONE guy....you of all people should realize that.

It's been really interesting reading your guys' outlook on the 2005 draft. The thing I'm most amazed about is not one of you brought up the true- best interiour defensive lineman in the country and that's

Rodrique Wright from Texas. - There is no comparison to him and Mike Patterson of Usc or Antaj Hawthorne from Wisconsin.

Wright has size, quickness and plays with a mean streak. Hawthorne has bulk, but also has the injuries to consider. Patterson is playing next to some really quality talent in the likes of Shaun Cody DE/Dt, and Matt Grootegood the MLB. Patterson isn't defining himself the way Wright is, so my early pick for the top DT in '05 is Wright.

As for Linebackers, Derrick Johnson could easily make up for the mistake in signing Nate Webster, and drafting Caleb Miller.

As for the Wide Receiver question. - Yes if Mike Williams is there , you take him. It's not a question of best player available, it's the long run question of being able to tandem him with Chad Johnson . - Peter Warrick is in his Free Agent year, and his knee and shin injuries have severely limited any real aspect of him being a Bengal next season.

* You all know my feelings about T.J. despite his play of late.

* Kelley Washington plays like he just doesn't get it. He's still rounding off his routes, and drops too many passes . Physical talent alone vs. his Mental talent means I was wrong to think we drafted a future starter in him.

Rodrique Wright appears to be a good DT -- but he has a high ankle sprain and has NOT been planning much or very well.

I would love to have Mike Williams opposite Chad.

I believe the Bengals will and should take the best athlete. That's how Baltimore built their team -- they did not need a LB when they drafted Ray Lewis -- but I think it improve that position and made them a better team. I believe that will be what Marvin and the Bengals do on draft day.

However, after seeing what the Bengals did last year by drafting Chris Perry -- I'm not sure of anything any more. So far, it was a wasted draft pick that barely improved our injured reserve list!

;)

It's been really interesting reading your guys' outlook on the 2005 draft. The thing I'm most amazed about is not one of you brought up the true- best interiour defensive lineman in the country and that's

Rodrique Wright from Texas. - There is no comparison to him and Mike Patterson of Usc or Antaj Hawthorne from Wisconsin.

Wright has size, quickness and plays with a mean streak. Hawthorne has bulk, but also has the injuries to consider. Patterson is playing next to some really quality talent in the likes of Shaun Cody DE/Dt, and Matt Grootegood the MLB. Patterson isn't defining himself the way Wright is, so my early pick for the top DT in '05 is Wright.

As for Linebackers, Derrick Johnson could easily make up for the mistake in signing Nate Webster, and drafting Caleb Miller.

As for the Wide Receiver question. - Yes if Mike Williams is there , you take him. It's not a question of best player available, it's the long run question of being able to tandem him with Chad Johnson . - Peter Warrick is in his Free Agent year, and his knee and shin injuries have severely limited any real aspect of him being a Bengal next season.

* You all know my feelings about T.J. despite his play of late.

* Kelley Washington plays like he just doesn't get it. He's still rounding off his routes, and drops too many passes . Physical talent alone vs. his Mental talent means I was wrong to think we drafted a future starter in him.

The Guru is back B)

So Mike Williams does end up in the regular draft? If that's how it is and he's available when Bengals pick, he'd be real hard to pass up.

So Mike Williams does end up in the regular draft? If that's how it is and he's available when Bengals pick, he'd be real hard to pass up.

Unless we lose the next 7 games I don't see us being high enough to draft him.

I think Corey Webster would really solidify our secondary and maybe we could address some DL needs in the offseason and the middle rounds.

Webster would be a great pick. He's a decent cover corner and a great tackler like Will Poole and Madieu from last year's draft. Webster would give Bengals another CB/FS w/ SS potential in a pinch like Madieu and K2.

But I do think Keiwan will pan out as Tory's replacement next year w/ James seeing nickel action if he sticks.

It would be unbelievable if the Bengals did not draft DEFENSE based on the last couple of years of performance.

Figured I would post Mel Kipers Big Board for all the draft gurus to throw around... Note the only Jr included is Mike Williams because Mel does not rate underclassmen on his Big Board

Player Class Pos. School Stock

1. Mike Williams Jr. WR USC --- Terrific combo of size and strength.

2. Antrel Rolle Sr. CB Miami --- The next very athletic Hurricane DB.

3. Derrick Johnson Sr. LB Texas --- Strength, speed and 125 tackles last year.

4. Cedric Benson Sr. RB Texas --- 45 rushing TDs over the last three seasons.

5. Ronnie Brown Sr. RB Auburn --- Good combo of size, speed, power, instincts.

6. Carnell Williams Sr. RB Auburn --- 1,307 yards and 17 TDs last season.

7. Mark Clayton Sr. WR Oklahoma --- Had 86 receptions in '03, 15 for TDs.

8. Alex Barron Sr. OT Fla. St. --- 6-6, 320 and an excellent pass blocker.

9. Erasmus James Sr. DE Wisconsin --- Outstanding pass rusher who can play the run.

10. David Pollack Sr. DE Georgia --- Incredible intensity and passion.

11. Elton Brown Sr. OG Virginia --- Great athleticism for someone his size (6-5, 335).

12. Braylon Edwards Sr. WR Michigan --- 85 receptions, 1,138 yds, 14 TD in '03.

13. Kyle Orton Sr. QB Purdue --- Good size at 6-3½ and 219 pounds.

14. Marlin Jackson Sr. CB Michigan --- Top-notch athletic and coverage skills.

15. Barrett Ruud Sr. LB Nebraska --- Excellent sideline-to-sideline speed, productivity.

16. Corey Webster Sr. DB LSU --- Seven INTs and 46 tackles last season.

17. Anttaj Hawthorne Sr. DT Wisconsin --- 20 tackles for loss last year but still underrated.

18. Dan Cody Sr. DT Oklahoma --- Led OU with 10 sacks in '03.

19. Kevin Burnett Sr. LB Tennessee --- UT's leading tackler this season.

20. Charlie Frye Sr. QB Akron --- 29 total TDs, over 4,000 total yards in '03.

21. Andrew Walter Sr. QB Ariz. St. --- Great size (6-4¼, 242) and a strong arm.

22. Charles Frederick Sr. WR Washington --- Double threat as a punt returner.

23. Alex Smith Sr. TE Stanford --- Athletically gifted with great body control.

24. Logan Mankins Sr. OT Fres. St. --- A destroyer with a mean streak.

25. Lance Mitchell Sr. LB Oklahoma --- Led OU with 124 stops in '02, injured in '03.

Have at it fellas

Fab Five

Some juniors like Rodrique Wright will change they way the 1st round shapes up.

Other juniors who look ready to go:

T.A. McClendon RB NC State (2nd best all-around rb behind Brown).

Heath Miller TE Virginia (if he declares he's 1st round but might be 2nd TE behind Smith of Stanford).

Aaron Rodgers QB Cal (sounds like 1st QB taken if he wants to start making money a year early).

Marcus McNeil LT Auburn (this dude is the Goliath. if he's ready to go, he should be 1st OL pick and possibly top 5)

It appears to me especially after watching the Titans game , that next year if we are the beneificiaries of "Beaucoup" draft picks again. And we have the chance to grab top interior defensive lineman i.e. the Titans ( Randy Starks and Antwan Odom ) -- that we draft them !!

Hopefully* - The secondary will shape out fine with O'Neal, Ratliff, Madieu, and Greg Brooks along with James for however long his contract remains.

-- Need is a Strong Safety. ( Again ). Jamaal Brimmer ( Unlv ) and Thomas Davis ( UGA ) are my top 2 candidates. - Could possibly come as late first rounders if we trade down and gain extra picks.

-- Defensive Tackle - Sorry that Tony Williams got hurt, but did anyone notice that as playing time increased for Langston Moore, and Mathias Askew , that our run defense improved..???? - Either Way, the injuries and youth here, make this our number one priority.

-- Defensive End. - Justin Smith is only ( suitable ) as a pass rusher when we have the lead. Duane Clemons is getting older, and doesn't have consistent leg drive to make plays. A top DE from either Free agency or the draft is necessary here.

-- Guard / Center - Despite Ben Wilkersons' ( LSU ) recent knee injury I would still grab him early second round if he's there!

-- Wide Receiver - Peter Warrick's injury aside, i'm pretty disappointed in our receiver corp. The only consistent target for Palmer has been Chad Johnson and he's double covered most of the time. The dropped passes have been overwhelming for a team facing so many third and longs this year.

- * - If a Rodrique Wright and Mike Williams were available, Some other team better come with a " horn a plenty " of draft picks to get Williams away from us.

Currently, the Bengals have the 10th pick -- a lot of the really great choice could be gone.

I still believe that the Bengals must take the best player available at their pick -- we still have too many needs to "reach" for any one position. [Mewelde Moore was a 4th round pick. And he has done more for his team than Chris Perry has for the Bengals.]

I'm to the point now where it is screw the best player available B.S. We need tons of help on defense and should stockpile on that side of the ball.

These two would be great but I don't think we'll be drafting that high.

Antrel Rolle Sr. CB Miami

Derrick Johnson Sr. LB Texas

Would love to see us get any of these also:

Erasmus James Sr. DE Wisconsin

Marlin Jackson Sr. CB Michigan

Anttaj Hawthorne Sr. DT Wisconsin

Corey Webster Sr. DB LSU

Ahmad Brooks, Virginia Jr. LB

And the later rounds:

Atari Bigby Central Florida S

Chris Henry, West Virginia, Jr WR

Matt Roth Iowa DE

:player: :player: :player: :player: :player: :player:

Horn of plenty sounds good, Guru. Give ML another crack at lots of picks for players he wants to develop. I'm not see the number of quality DEs and DTs this year as last so can't see trading up on 1st day to go get a DT or DE.

The cream of the crop this year IMO is Ahmad Brooks LB UVA. He can declare as sophomore and should because he would have chance at being overall #1. Watching this guy vs. Maryland yesterday, it's clear he's ready. Hits like a ton of bricks, can play down at DE, has decent speed. He's as sure of a bet as a starting NFL LB like DJ Williams was last year.

Ditty - ESPN has been showing the sh*t out of college games for the past 2 weeks.

I'm eyeballing as much as I can to get looks at draft upcomers. including small school players like DTs Shamar Abrams from UAB and Donyell Booker Fres. St, DE Adrian Awasom of N Texas St. and bigger school but lesser known players like DE/ILB Justin Tuck of ND, CB Justin Miller of Clemson, Marcus Jones and JR Russell of Louisville..etc.

16 weeks of football of 52 weeks in a year. theres what, 3-4 months after the season is over to talk about the draft. why talk about it now? i can understand talking about good players etc, but when you start talking about the bengals future and what needs to be fixed b4 the season is even done, it just seems like u are giving up.

16 weeks of football of 52 weeks in a year. theres what, 3-4 months after the season is over to talk about the draft. why talk about it now? i can understand talking about good players etc, but when you start talking about the bengals future and what needs to be fixed b4 the season is even done, it just seems like u are giving up.

Why talk about it now?????? Why not? I haven't given up on anything just talking about some prospects what the hell is wrong with that? I did say we need help on defense. Do you not agree? Are you happy with what we have?