Comparing Coaching Staffs

gregcook68

John Gruden and Brian Billick are Super Bowl winning head coaches.

Marvin, not so much.

I've got nothing after that.

Marvin does have a ring as DC. Was that a gift from Ray Lewis?

I'm pretty sure DC is different than a head coach. Can we agree on that?

Because that's what I actually said when I mentioned "head coaches".

John Gruden and Brian Billick are Super Bowl winning head coaches.

Marvin, not so much.

I've got nothing after that.

Marvin does have a ring as DC. Was that a gift from Ray Lewis?

I'm pretty sure DC is different than a head coach. Can we agree on that?

Because that's what I actually said when I mentioned "head coaches".

Understood. My question is, do you think M. Lewis earned his ring, or, like so many others, believe M. Lewis was like Dilfer, and got a gifted ring because he had Ray Lewis and a great Defense around him that anyone could have gotten that ring?

I think Marvin earned his ring simply due to what that defense was able to do overall and he was always spoken highly of by those players.

Many people forget that Dilfer only started half the games that season, with Tony Banks starting the other 8.

Between the two QBs that year, they passed for 20 TD's and 19 INT's.

Dilfer completed 47.9% of his passes in that post season run and had 3 TD's, 1 INT, and a fumble.

Yeah, I think Dilfer was "gifted" a ring that year and why I feel Dalton is more than capable of getting us to the Super Bowl.

You better have a hell of a defense who plays lights out even in big games! Not to mention a great running, that is not inconsistant. It can be done, but they need to fill these holes, and hope guys stay healthy, or the depth is really good

Couldn't agree more about the defense and I think when looking at the playoff string of one and done's we have going on, the defense gets a pass.

Dalton isn't the only part of the team not stepping up to the plate when needed the most, but he certainly hasn't helped much either.

I think they have good parts to the offense and defense and if they can fill some of the holes AND stay healthy, they can win in the post season.

Wasn't the Bengals roster praised heading into the season as being one of the more talent filled rosters in the league ??

Prior to all of the injuries, weren't people thinking the Bengals were one of the top teams 1-3 in the league ??

Maybe some don't buy into all of that talk, but at week 3 of last season, things were looking pretty good.

It wouldn't surprise me to see them start 2015 in the same manner when everyone is healthy.

That's the key for this team.

Switch gears.

1. How many teams, have won SBs with subpar defenses and average talent around the QB? (I think I read somewhere where one of the Pats SB years their defense was middle of the road)

2. If Andy Dalton had played his absolute best, could they have beaten the Colts with the same lineup he had on offense?

I think Marvin earned his ring simply due to what that defense was able to do overall and he was always spoken highly of by those players.

Many people forget that Dilfer only started half the games that season, with Tony Banks starting the other 8.

Dilfer completed 47.9% of his passes in that post season run and had 3 TD's, 1 INT, and a fumble.

Yeah, I think Dilfer was "gifted" a ring that year and why I feel Dalton is more than capable of getting us to the Super Bowl.

The Ravens D was in the rarified air like the 85 Bears and few others. It was a totally rare outlier.

Unless you can see this defensive unit pulling it together and playing at an historic lights out level, then it's under those conditions that Dalton could pilot the Bengals to the SB.

You've got the short list of average to bad QBs to have won a SB:

1. Trent Dilfer

2. Jim McMahon

3. Jeff Hostetler

4. Brad Johnson

5. Eli Manning

All of those QBs had elite level defenses that acted to significantly, or completely, compensate for the QB.

Honestly, I'm not saying it's impossible, but it sure does not look likely. In my view, the best chance was 2013. The D was playing extremely well, Dalton was in a good spot, the offense was healthy and had good weapons. To me, unless the D can re-jig with some FA talent and an excelent draft, the window closes that much more....

The Ravens D was in the rarified air like the 85 Bears and few others. It was a totally rare outlier.

Unless you can see this defensive unit pulling it together and playing at an historic lights out level, then it's under those conditions that Dalton could pilot the Bengals to the SB.

You've got the short list of average to bad QBs to have won a SB:

1. Trent Dilfer

2. Jim McMahon

3. Jeff Hostetler

4. Brad Johnson

5. Eli Manning

All of those QBs had elite level defenses that acted to significantly, or completely, compensate for the QB.

Honestly, I'm not saying it's impossible, but it sure does not look likely. In my view, the best chance was 2013. The D was playing extremely well, Dalton was in a good spot, the offense was healthy and had good weapons. To me, unless the D can re-jig with some FA talent and an excelent draft, the window closes that much more....

Actually there's a 4 time SB QB on the list too... Terry Bradshaw, not to mention Mark Rypien, Flacco, Doug Williams, and Jim Plunkett.

2013 they were missing the running game, and/or at the very least the ability to use it.

Check out the thread I started Past SB Stats.

The only other SB team that gave up less points a game than the 2000 Ravens was the 1976 Steelers.