Playoff Expansion

Sounds like it's coming next year.

/>http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10946640/examining-biggest-questions-surrounding-impending-nfl-playoff-expansion

I think it will go to 16 sooner rather than later. Can't wait until the first 7-9 regular season team wins the Super Bowl.

It's an interesting discussion.

It seems like there's some ideal point where you can maximize fan interest and revenue without diluting competition.

Where that point is, I don't know.

Honestly, if the expanded playoffs come with the trade-off of losing 1 preseason game, then I'm on board with giving it a shot.

The more the playoffs expand, the less important (ie, more like pre-season) are the so-called regular season games.

How about we drop pre-season and regular season altogether? 32 teams! Every game a playoff game! Excitement! Ticket sales! Do or die!

Can't say as I like the expanded playoffs much.

You can already have an 8-8 team make the playoffs the way it is.

What's next, a 6-10 team gets in ?? Sure all they have to do is get in to have a chance to win it all, but I agree with the thought the regular season games would have less meaning. If you don't even have to sport a winning record through 16 games, it seems kind of week.

While I don't mind seeing everyone get a trophy in my 7 year olds baseball league, that's what this feels like.

Have at least, what I assume, would be two additional playoff games would create gobs of money.

Giving up a preseason game or two, in which they don't make as much, would be a small sacrifice to make.

Yep, higher ticket prices, more fans in the seats, and more television revenues.