Scott on kick returns

walzav29

Well Tate was one of the top returners in the NFL last year with the Patriots, so that can mean one of four things:

1. Tate either had a lucky year or he just isn't as good this year as last year.

2. The Patriots special teams coach draws up better return plays than Simmons.

3. The players that play on special teams for the Patriots are better at special teams than the ones on the Bengals.

4. The new kickoff rule at the 35 yard line is making him start farther back in the endzone, and giving him less opportunities to break a big one because of touchbacks.

I'm not really sure what it is, but I would say either #1 or #4.

With Bobbie Williams coming back, they are going to have to cut someone. Personally I would like to see them cut Tate and keep Baby Hawk. Then give Baby Hawk the return duties.

Or a guy is still getting acclimated to a new team and blocking schemes after he was cut towards the end of training camp..We're only 4 games in.

Kick returning isn't rocket science. You catch the ball and run a block right, block left, or return middle scheme.

Tate just looks too nervous and indecisive to me. He doesn't seem to break many tackles either. Good returners have to have a little greasiness to them where the first guy down seems to slip off. Tate is looking more like flypaper now to me.

From a guy that has NEVER played even a mess-around game in the park I'll put my two cents in, for what it's worth.

I think anyone can be a decent return player if they have a safe pair of hands and a good turn of speed. As most players in the NFL have these attributes I'd bewilling to bet that Tate perhaps had a standout year last year and/or the Bengals blocking isn't up to the level it could/should be.

As Sport_Tees said ...."isn't rocket science"!

From a guy that has NEVER played even a mess-around game in the park I'll put my two cents in, for what it's worth.

I think anyone can be a decent return player if they have a safe pair of hands and a good turn of speed.

Wrong.

The #1 thing a great returner needs is courage. A guy can't be scared to run towards 11 other guys at a full sprint ready to take your head off. Safe hands, lots of speed, and some elusiveness is nice, but you have to have a big pair of huevos too.