What is Zimmer up to?

Zimmer has always been best when running the 4-3 scheme. But last offseason he mentioned that he wanted to show the 3-4 more often. I'm not aware of how successful he was... but the draft the last three years indicate that it's more than lip-service.

Last year, in an interview about MJ's progress as a LB, Zimmer mentioned that Peko could start as a 3-4 NT for any team in the NFL. Combine that statement with who he has drafted:

'09

- Rey Maualuga: Great fit as a 3-4 ILB.

- Michael Johnson: Primarily considered a 3-4 OLB

- Clinton McDonald: Undersized DT known for his pass-rushing skills. 3-4 DE?

'10

- Carlos Dunlap: 4-3 DE... but Zimmer said he drafted him to be a pass-rushing DT.

- Geno Atkins: Another undersized DT known as a pass rusher.

- Roderick Muckelroy: Very good fit as a 3-4 ILB.

'11

- Dontay Moch: Another player who really only fits as a 3-4 OLB.

Personally, I think he's just trying to make the defense as "multiple" as possible... but I have to admit that a lot of the players he has drafted would fit best in a 3-4 scheme.

Any conspiracy theorists out there?

This same discussion comes up every year. The Bengals are a 4-3 team defensively and will remain so.

Yeah, I know. And I said as much... but given Zimmer's comments and the way he has drafted, it's not a stretch to believe we'll see a lot more 3-4 than we have in the past.

Furthermore... it's only been a week since the draft, and this board has turned into a barren wasteland. I'm not really interested in the lockout... but the effects have taken the winds out of our sails - so yes, I'm attempting to manufacture discussion topics.