ArmyBengal's Pre-Combine Mock

ArmyBengal

I will preface this by saying, things will change after the combine. They always do.

If and when a CBA gets done and FA and trades can happen, things will change again.

This is what I think will happen (at this point in time)....

JJoe doesn't get tagged and will get an offer the Bengals couldn't possible do.

Benson is invigorated with the new direction of Gruden and DOES come back.

Those two things are pretty big when considering the draft. If Benson doesn't come back, RB becomes a bigger priority. If JJoe comes back, CB becomes less of a priority, but you see where I stand on those two. I'm also hoping and praying the thoughts of a 2nd rounder for Chad are accurate and account for him NOT being back this coming season.

I'm going to throw some different things out there and go from there and only give brief thoughts:

1. AJ Green, WR, Georgia - I think Chad being gone makes this almost certain and I don't really have much issue with it.

2a. Quinton Carter, S, Oklahoma - Arguably the biggest area of concern on defense. High character, smart, and plays teams.

2b. Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado - Without JJoe, CB becomes a bigger need and I like this kid. Smart !!!

3. Rodney Hudson, OG, Florida St. - Obvious need and in a WCO, he provides speed to pull. Undersized but smart and is a leader.

4. Alex Henery, K, Nebraska - High for a kicker ?? Sure, but he hits beyond 50 and was 193 of 194 on extra points in 4 seasons.

5. Ryan Winterswyk, DE, Boise St. - Could go DE sooner, but again, it's what our coaches think we already have that I see them waiting.

6. Henry Hynoski, FB, Pitt - Is Pressley the answer ?? This guy BLOWS people up and would work nice with Gruden's plan for running.

7. Mario Harvey, MLB, Marshall - Seriously, look this kid up. Just has a way to get to the QB and disrupt things. Dhani to coach...

Now, for my what if's...

IF Bowers or Fairly were to fall, I would want them to take them before Green. If that is the case:

2b becomes Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami - Look at his stats, they are comparable to others higher if not better. Jacory Harris sucked.

5 becomes Kelvin Sheppard, MLB, LSU

7 becomes whatever. The CB from TX, Chykie Brown is interesting that late.

I am a huge fan of Jimmy Smith, but i dont know if he gets out of the first round, he is a big sleeper pick.

I agree if Bowers or Fairly is there i hope they take a hard look at them also, i like Hankerson alot, but i also love those WRs from Boise State, Young and Petite. I wouldnt mind them taking a look into those two guys after the first round

Draft looks good though

1. AJ Green, WR, Georgia - I think Chad being gone makes this almost certain and I don't really have much issue with it.

Fine as would be Fairly...Bowers eh depends who else

2a. Quinton Carter, S, Oklahoma - Arguably the biggest area of concern on defense. High character, smart, and plays teams.

Like it

2b. Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado - Without JJoe, CB becomes a bigger need and I like this kid. Smart !!!

Kinda early for a CB even if Jjoe walks.though still think even if they don't want to resign him and hall you should atleast tag him this year.

3. Rodney Hudson, OG, Florida St. - Obvious need and in a WCO, he provides speed to pull. Undersized but smart and is a leader.

Sounds fine.

4. Alex Henery, K, Nebraska - High for a kicker ?? Sure, but he hits beyond 50 and was 193 of 194 on extra points in 4 seasons.

Love drafting a kicker though seems like it could be a bit early seeing as we have quite a few needs.

5. Ryan Winterswyk, DE, Boise St. - Could go DE sooner, but again, it's what our coaches think we already have that I see them waiting.

Unless we take someone at 4# I just don't see us burning a pick on Defensive ENd

6. Henry Hynoski, FB, Pitt - Is Pressley the answer ?? This guy BLOWS people up and would work nice with Gruden's plan for running.

Not a fan I like Pressley :o

7. Mario Harvey, MLB, Marshall - Seriously, look this kid up. Just has a way to get to the QB and disrupt things. Dhani to coach...

I'm fine with this pick but I'm not okay with the idea of Dhani Starting another season...if they hire him to be Fitzgerald assistant fine...But Rey Needs to be given a shot at the middle next year...

IF JJoe doesn't come back, I absolutely would love to get Smith in the 2nd and don't view it as early with what we have after Hall. Adam Jones is coming off of a bad injury and then what ?? Trent ?? Murray ?? Nothing... Smith's stats don't look overwhelming mostly because, as Big 12 coaches have said, "You simply don't throw in his direction, he's that good".

I don't honestly see the 4th as to early for a kicker if we get a 2nd for Chad. Without that, sure, he has to wait, but when you look at what he has done throughout his career as a kicker, it's really amazing. Couple that with the multiple question marks we currently have and I really like going after the guy you feel is going to seal a spot like that.

My biggest question with Pressley is, I don't remember how long he was with us last season and even without that thought, why didn't the offense use the FB more often last season ?? There are many arguments about Benson's numbers dropping off, but if they were to aid that with the true use of a TRUE fullback, his numbers would probably improve. Again, if Pressley is that guy, fine.

Dhani needs to be gone, but I only view Harvey as depth at best. Simply adding depth.

As for DE, I think it will depend on what they do with the free agents they are looking at. That is one of the reasons I put the list in the draft thread on the main board. What they do there will dictate a lot in both FA and the draft.

Jimmy Smith

If Jjoe walks then ya if he's to much of a value you take him,It's just I hope we atleast Tag Joseph for the year so we can see if one of the other guys steps up...Like ghee or even jones.

My biggest question with Pressley is, I don't remember how long he was with us last season and even without that thought, why didn't the offense use the FB more often last season ?? There are many arguments about Benson's numbers dropping off, but if they were to aid that with the true use of a TRUE fullback, his numbers would probably improve. Again, if Pressley is that guy, fine.

Because Bratowski was a Genius and rather use Tight Ends & Linebackers as fullback,I remember reading once we resigned Chris and he started to get some snaps that Cedric welcomed having a true fullback vs the Reggie/Coats/Skuta monster.

Dhani needs to be gone, but I only view Harvey as depth at best. Simply adding depth.

Which is fine we still need a MLB even if rey goes inside ;)...I love DHani but just doesn't have speed for NFL..

As for DE, I think it will depend on what they do with the free agents they are looking at. That is one of the reasons I put the list in the draft thread on the main board. What they do there will dictate a lot in both FA and the draft.

How I was kinda looking at end was like you look at DT...If we don't take someone at 4# then I see our DE's being like this Michael Johnson,Carlos Dunlap Johnathan fanene and then who ever wins out spot between geathers & Odom.

Yeah, I get that with DE and it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

From my understanding they aren't going to tag JJoe, so I think he's gone.

A true FB is the answer I think, who, is another question. JUST USE ONE FOR CHRIST SAKE !!!

I just saw today where some are now saying Jimmy Smith will be the 2nd CB off the board.

The secret is out...

Yeah, I get that with DE and it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

From my understanding they aren't going to tag JJoe, so I think he's gone.

A true FB is the answer I think, who, is another question. JUST USE ONE FOR CHRIST SAKE !!!

I just saw today where some are now saying Jimmy Smith will be the 2nd CB off the board.

The secret is out...

Aww Army why did you let the cat out of the bag :o!