Is it time for draft talk?

walzav29

Draft talk?

Since I didn't get very much from last years wish list how about we just recycle it?

Interior O-line. Safeties. And a pass rusher they'll actually use to rush the passer.

Hair, it sounds like you are sold on our current OTs, since you specified interior

You aren't counting on the flesh zeppelin, are you?

/>http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php

Defensive End? The do need a pass rush, but I would like to see a MLB with an attitude.

I hear ya, if it isn't QB then go after Dont'a Hightower. Maualuga ISN'T the answer at MLB unless we go 3-4 and even then we need a cerebral leader opposite of him.

Why not? He'll probably start soon.

So if he's better than Dennis Roland it's no longer a hole that needs to be filled?

We all know full well that the Bengals have a day of reckoning coming after the season with big 'Dre because of how his contract is structured. So it's 50:50 that he'll even be on the roster come draft day

Why not? He'll probably start soon.

So if he's better than Dennis Roland it's no longer a hole that needs to be filled?

Nobody mentioned Roland, did they?

Frankly, I'm not sure what this team has to play for now, but finding out about players like Smith seems like one of the more important things still on the table.

Nobody mentioned Roland, did they?

Frankly, I'm not sure what this team has to play for now, but finding out about players like Smith seems like one of the more important things still on the table.

I mentioned Roland.

I agree 100% that Smith needs to play ahead of Roland for the rest of this year. In fact seeing as he's better than Roland I see no reason for his fat ass to be on the bench

I mentioned Roland.

But you didn't mention why.

I agree 100% that Smith needs to play ahead of Roland for the rest of this year. In fact seeing as he's better than Roland I see no reason for his fat ass to be on the bench

If you believed all that then why mention Roland?

Point blank, Smith is better than Roland right now, and he's getter better by the week. Whether he improves enough to be more than that is the real question, but his play at ORT is probably a key factor in making Bratkowski's inept passing game start to click. As a result I see no reason to pass judgement on Smith until his conditioning improves to the point that we can really see what he's capable of. For just one example, I continue watching to see if Smith will ever cross behind the defensive line to throw a block on a rushing attempt ran towards the opposite flank, something he used to do with regularity at Alabama. If I see that from Smith as a Bengal, and I haven't so far, I'll consider it a very good sign.

For those who consider him a bust already, all I'll add is I'm in no hurry to say one way or another, especially now that this season has suddenly morphed into a rebuilding year.

O-Line has to be the priority. As for the "Mock Drafts" at this point they are ridiculous, and shouldn't be payed any attention to. For example, the one linked above only has 1 OT going in the First round. When was the last time you saw that happen? I'll take a OT, if Big Dre doesn't show he can handle Tackle, shift him to Guard (boom eliminates another O-Line need) and even look at a Center (Cook will never be anythig more than just average). I'd much rather go after an accomplished pass-rusher in Free Agency, than wait another 2 or 3 years for a guy to develop via the draft because that's an immediate need, and I doubt we would get that production immediately from a rookie, cuz I cant remember the last time that we did.

Safety....yes, but only if he's an impact guy....I don't want to draft one just to draft one, and end up with another guy like Ndukwe (decent, but nothing more than a backup or emergency starter)

Uhhh....Maybe if we had more scouts...aw hell I'm not going to start that again...we all know that won't happen.

God knows I'm all about the draft talk, but there really isn't much to go on unless we are talking o-line, d-line, and safety, as already mentioned. Even with that, there isn't much more to say. They could draft an C, OG, OT, DT, DE, FS, and SS. Thing is, I'm not sold they would do anything with any of them. I remember being so happy with what we saw from our youngsters heading through preseason in regard to the pass rush and we don't see sh*t. What's that definition of insanity that people like to bring up from time to time ?? Apply that here...

I mentioned Roland.

But you didn't mention why.

If you believed all that then why mention Roland?

Point blank, Smith is better than Roland right now, and he's getter better by the week. Whether he improves enough to be more than that is the real question, but his play at ORT is probably a key factor in making Bratkowski's inept passing game start to click. As a result I see no reason to pass judgement on Smith until his conditioning improves to the point that we can really see what he's capable of. For just one example, I continue watching to see if Smith will ever cross behind the defensive line to throw a block on a rushing attempt ran towards the opposite flank, something he used to do with regularity at Alabama. If I see that from Smith as a Bengal, and I haven't so far, I'll consider it a very good sign.

For those who consider him a bust already, all I'll add is I'm in no hurry to say one way or another, especially now that this season has suddenly morphed into a rebuilding year.

I mentioned Roland because this rant started with no RT on your short (wish) list for next year. When asked why, you answered by saying that he was good enough to start now. To which I thought, "big deal. Good enough to start now just means better than Roland".

As you've expounded on it, I agree. We ought to play him now and evaluate where we stand after the season before we start thinking RT in next year's draft.

So we agree here...Don't worry. It won't become a habit. I'll come up with something to rattle your cage before long