Is anyone here a serious runner ??

ArmyBengal

So at 40 years old and less than 4 months until I'm done with the Army, I have decided to take up long distance running. I've always had to run for my physical fitness tests of 2 miles, but nothing coming anything close to the 26+ miles for a marathon. Anyway, I started this 18 week running program and I completed my last run of 13 miles the other day.

I'm pretty happy with how things are going with the exception of thinking my knees aren't going to make it the full marathon distance. I still have better than a month+ of training to complete, but was wondering if anyone else has trained at that level before and how they dealt with having setbacks in their training program.

Just curious...

I'm a cross country coach. I prefer shorter races (5k - half), but know plenty about marathon training.

My biggest advice at this point is that you absolutely can't afford to ignore your body. If you need to cut back your training, then so be it. It's far better to slow things down a bit than to seriously injure yourself and end up missing weeks or longer.

General advice would be to do some runs on grass or softer surface trails. This should help cut down on the pounding your body is being forced to adjust to. Also, how many miles have you logged in your shoes? Are you running in appropriate shoes for your weight and running style (pronation, supination, etc.)? Is there any chance you might need inserts?

Thanks, I got my shoes fitted and bought them right before I started the training program and they are awesome. I have a pair of Asics Nimbus 11's and they are perfect for my feet. I would have to go back and check mileage to give an exact count, but I'd say in the 10 weeks I've been doing the training program, I've logged a little better than 200 miles. Another 34 by the end of this week.

The grass runs are what I will need to shift to starting this week. I've ran mostly on pavement, so that's definitely pounding away for sure.

Good idea and I can do that rather easily with all the parks and running areas here in Sioux Falls.

I still have another 9 weeks until the marathon, but if my knees continue to feel anything like they did yesterday, I will just run the half as opposed to the full marathon. It's something I really want to accomplish, but if not this year, I will certainly keep this up and maybe get to the full next year. I have found that I really do enjoy getting out there and taking the longer runs.

Thanks again for assistance !!!

I wouldn't say I'm a serious runner, but I do enjoy running. I hate running on concrete and blacktop, so I prefer to run out in the woods. In the Spring, Summer, and Fall, I make lot of trips to a local nature trail that's about a mile and a half long, and run it a couple of times a visit. Its short, but its hell because its in Appalachia Kentucky so you have to take some very large hills. Plus its right on a state lake so you get to cool down and go swimming and cliff diving afterward.

Very nice Blaine.

My knee is still really sore, so I'm taking some time off. Problem with that is, my training regimen was pretty strict and with a week off, I'm not sure where I will be at distance wise come time for the marathon. I'm now thinking the half marathon may be the best way to go to start and then work my way into a full marathon next year.

Oh well...

Very nice Blaine.

My knee is still really sore, so I'm taking some time off. Problem with that is, my training regimen was pretty strict and with a week off, I'm not sure where I will be at distance wise come time for the marathon. I'm now thinking the half marathon may be the best way to go to start and then work my way into a full marathon next year.

Oh well...

Don't let it get you down.

I'm typically against a lot of these marathon training programs. Sure, they get you to complete the race after a set # of days, but I prefer a much slower approach. Just because you can complete a distance doesn't mean you're REALLY ready to be running it.

A cross country runner from my basic training flight recommended we try running toe to heel so as to put the pressure on our shins instead of our knees. Ever heard of that, Skyline?

He was the best runner in our group, so I figured he'd be credible.

Very nice Blaine.

Oh well...

Don't let it get you down.

I'm typically against a lot of these marathon training programs. Sure, they get you to complete the race after a set # of days, but I prefer a much slower approach. Just because you can complete a distance doesn't mean you're REALLY ready to be running it.

Well, I've been running in one shape, form or fashion forever since being in the Army, but have just never tried to train at that level. Running has always came kind of naturally to me, so the train up for the marathon hasn't been bad at all until this past long run of mine. I'm kind of down, but then again, I've enjoyed the experience up to now and know that I will continue doing this regardless of being able to do the full marathon or not. Amazing it took me until I was 40 to even try this considering how much and how many different types of physical training I experienced during my time in Service. Oh well...

A cross country runner from my basic training flight recommended we try running toe to heel so as to put the pressure on our shins instead of our knees. Ever heard of that, Skyline?

He was the best runner in our group, so I figured he'd be credible.

Did you mean heel to toe? I'm not sure how toe to heel would work unless you're running backwards :P

Most people will tell you to strike with your heel, but that's kind of fallen by the wayside since it slows you down and creates a huge impact when you're foot lands. A mid-foot strike is more appropriate and natural (this is how you would run barefoot).

Army, welcome to life as a runner. Especially us older folks...these setbacks are just part of the game. Take care of yourself first, and you'll be fine in the long run (no pun intended) :P

As a side note, which marathon were you planning to try?

Army, welcome to life as a runner. Especially us older folks...these setbacks are just part of the game. Take care of yourself first, and you'll be fine in the long run (no pun intended) :P

As a side note, which marathon were you planning to try?

I'm not real worried about it and will continue to work through it. Like I said, I'm actually enjoying it, so no issues.

This is the link to the Sioux Falls Marathon and Half Marathon:
/>http://www.siouxfallshalfmarathon.com/

Did you mean heel to toe? I'm not sure how toe to heel would work unless you're running backwards :P

No, he truly hit the ground with the front of his foot and rolled back to his heels, while of course still moving forwards. It was quite odd looking when he ran, as though he was never actually leaving the ground and just gliding along the track as though he had wheels on his shoes. He seemed to make it work very well, though he did say it often caused his shins to ache the next day.

I've never heard of something like that while running.

I've heard, "heel to toe" and "running on your toes", but not "toe to heel".

I'm not even sure how you would do that. It seems to go against everything your body is made up to do while moving forward.

Yeah, that just sounds bizarre. And, really, it makes no sense. Your shins are so weak as it is... I don't see why you'd want to put that sort of stress on them.