A Slightly Crazy Mock Draft.

NJ29

1.) Sean Witherspoon, LB, Missouri

Now, I know this is unorthodox, but hear me out. With the signing of Bryant, receiver becomes a need that they can address slightly later on, possibly in the second or third round. Although they have other needs, it seems entirely possible that players Iupati could be gone when they pick, as could safeties like Earl Thomas and Taylor Mays. Even if those players are gone, there are definite advantages to this pick. By drafting Witherspoon, they get one of the most athletic, instinctive linebackers in the draft, and could solidify what would be the best linebacking corps in the NFL for years by moving Rey to the middle and putting Witherspoon on the strong side. Another darkhorse: I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Brandon Graham be the pick. We need a great passrusher, and Graham just has it.

2.) Mardy Gilyard, WR, Cincinnati

This one just feels like it's gonna happen, either in the second or third round. Mardy wants to be a Bengal, and the team obviously has interest in him. With the recent signing of Bryant, he could come in and work in the slot, and wouldn't be expected to carry the load immediately. He also provides explosiveness as a return man and has the team mentality to contribute on all special teams. The dude is a walking intangible and wants desperately to be a part of this team, and I would love to see it happen.

3.) Major Wright, S, Florida

He's explosively fast and physical, and although he had problems tackling in the open field early in his career, he improved a lot in that area as his career went on. As a third round pick, he might not be expected to start right away, but he could contribute on special teams immediately, and he could learn from Roy and Crocker for a couple years and then take over soon after. He's got the potential to be very good, and unlike some of Cincy's position coaches, I do trust Coyle to get as much out of him as he can.

4.) Brandon Coleman, G, Texas Tech

Texas Tech offensive lineman have seemed to have quite a bit of success in the NFL, and with some work he could eventually become Bobbie's replacement.

5.) Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, CB, Indiana PA

I don't think this pick is the type of guy who would come in to replace Trent, because I was just as impressed with Trent as anyone, but he's big and athletic, and provides depth both at corner and safety. Although Joseph was healthy all of last year, he's had injury problems in the past, and if he does get hurt again, I'm not comfortable with Nelson or Crocker being the backup nickel corner.

6.) Leigh Tiffin, K, Alabama

Best kicker, in the draft period. We all saw how much less of a headache things were once Huber was brought in to punt, and it could be exactly the same with Tiffin.

7.) Linval Joseph, DT, East Carolina

Could be a project, but he's enormous and is a good athlete, and could help provide the defensive tackle depth that has a lot of fans worried. Although Tank, Peko and Sims are a good trio, the depth behind them is lacking.

not crazy at all.

With Bryant's signing, I could see LB, DE, OT, OG or DT in r1.

I'm not a huge fan of taking a DT in the first, cause I feel like the starting situation there is pretty good.

As far as available DEs, I think there are a lot of good options that could fall to where we pick, so we'll see.

If they're interested in finding a future starting SAM backer, they could also wait until the second or third round to pick up a guy like Dekoda Watson or Rennie Curran.

Honestly, I feel like this is as good of a year as any to trade back into the second, because I feel like they could get a lot more value out of that. It's unlikely, but I feel like it would make sense.

Well I hope :P every other sensible pick was gone but I just can't feel a line backer pick....DE? sure Safety My fav :P and if they did want a SLB of future then they should take a Hybrid so Marvin Can finilly have his joker player and he can earn his money on 3rd downs until their ready to move on From Dhani...

I like Mardy he may not be speedy but he's still a play maker.

I've heard the name a few times is he more of a SS or FS?

Sounds good.

I'm fine with drafting a dime corner because Coyle does do a good job at developing guys.

a Kicker yay ^_^

More Practice Squad fodder for our ever rotating door late round DTs heh

-Well you didn't do comp Picks ;) So maybe we can address it there but my only dislike is No Defensive End I'd just like to see one for either 3rd down Passrusher or a Project at SLB...either way we need upgrade our passrush

Well I hope :P every other sensible pick was gone but I just can't feel a line backer pick....DE? sure Safety My fav :P and if they did want a SLB of future then they should take a Hybrid so Marvin Can finilly have his joker player and he can earn his money on 3rd downs until their ready to move on From Dhani...

I like Mardy he may not be speedy but he's still a play maker.

I've heard the name a few times is he more of a SS or FS?

Sounds good.

I'm fine with drafting a dime corner because Coyle does do a good job at developing guys.

a Kicker yay ^_^

More Practice Squad fodder for our ever rotating door late round DTs heh

-Well you didn't do comp Picks ;) So maybe we can address it there but my only dislike is No Defensive End I'd just like to see one for either 3rd down Passrusher or a Project at SLB...either way we need upgrade our passrush

A safty in the first round is also my favorite pick right now, maybe aside from Iupati, but I just feel like there might be a better value at safety in the second or third round, with a guy like Major Wright, Nate Allen, Morgan Burnett, Chad Jones, Reshad Jones, Kam Chancellor or Myron Rolle.

As far as Major Wright, he was listed as a free safety at Florida, but he's a physical guy he can really hit, and he fits the interchangeable mold that they seem to be going to.

As far as your point of drafting a Joker type of player for Marvin that can be a hybrid Sam type, I do like that idea. He seems to have tried converting ends to do that for some time, with Pollack awhile back, and even messing with MJ some there last year. What about a guy like Eric Norwood from South Carolina?

not crazy at all.

With Bryant's signing, I could see LB, DE, OT, OG or DT in r1.

I'm not a huge fan of taking a DT in the first, cause I feel like the starting situation there is pretty good.

As far as available DEs, I think there are a lot of good options that could fall to where we pick, so we'll see.

If they're interested in finding a future starting SAM backer, they could also wait until the second or third round to pick up a guy like Dekoda Watson or Rennie Curran.

Honestly, I feel like this is as good of a year as any to trade back into the second, because I feel like they could get a lot more value out of that. It's unlikely, but I feel like it would make sense.

From what I have read the DT class this year is deep and talented. The Bengals should look at taking one of these guys early in the draft. Tank and Peko are solid but it can never hurt adding more talent and depth to the middle.

At the same time, if there's a stud at ILB available it would be smart to get someone in soon as Jones won't be around too longer.

At the same time, if there's a stud at ILB available it would be smart to get someone in soon as Jones won't be around too longer.

And thats why we have Rey He'll be a better MLB then SLB and it opens us up to improve at SLB.

I just hope he can be the leader he needs to be at MLB.