Who's going to fall to the Bengals?

Dez Bryant still represents the best shot of a player that falls anywhere from where his talent level might suggest he gets drafted.

I've seen several mocks where both Mays and Bryant fall to us. The consensus is that we take Bryant in that scenario.

The Crappy offense has me lean towards Byrant yet my man love for Mays... j/k

The one thing that worries me about Mays is his supposed lack of big plays made. His measurables are way up there, no doubt. Can he utilize them to be a playmaker on this defense? That's the important question. We need more disruption and more turnovers, whether that's from a safety or a DE/DT. If Mays isn't the guy, then we need to draft the BPA in DT/DE/WR. Gotta get better in the passing game and on defense get pressure on the QB to enable the defense to make more big plays.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Said it before with Mays and will say it again. Him going back to USC his senior year was the biggest mistake he probably has made in his life. While I applaud him for returning to school and finishing his degree, there were other things to consider.

After his junior season, the ENTIRE linebacking corps went to the NFL. Not only that, he was the ONLY player from the secondary that was the same from his junior season. Those players were replaced with a bunch of juniors that couldn't unseat underclassmen that outplayed them and players that Mays hadn't built any type of cohesiveness with. Say what you want, but that's important and I simply can't see him coming into the situation we have here, with one of the best CB tandoms in the league, along with two of his USC teammates in Rivers and Maualuga that he's familiar with and NOT performing at a high level. Couple that with being able to learn more about the position at the next level from a 5 time pro bowler that Mays has modeled his game after and that's what I call "win win"...

I have zero issues with Mays and if we draft him, that will make two years in a row the Bengals drafted the guy Kazkal has put into his sig prior to the draft.

I dunno some reason I been feelin like the team will go a DE/OLB Hybrid like they wanted in pollack(Sergio Kindle) It's always been obivious that Marvin has a man crush on linebackers and passrush was one of the things the defense was hurting on most IMO....You take away the greenbay game and were one worst passrushing teams even with it were ranked like 18th.

The one thing that worries me about Mays is his supposed lack of big plays made.

He had a above average year last year and well his INT number is low doesn't list how many balls he knocked loose or people didn't catch being Mays was knocking them out :P

Kiper has Gresham, which I'd be ok with still, I just don't know who else could drop at this point, that would be worthwhile.

This is a relatively weak draft, aside from the usual 3-5 franchise talents. Gresham "should" be a safe pick who finally gives this team a 3-down TE, and we can only hope Coffman develops to give them more options and help compliment the run-first offense, which frankly needs to drop it's # of carries significantly.

I think you just have to spend the 1st pick on the 0-line. It's the right/smart thing to do.

Kiper has Gresham, which I'd be ok with still, I just don't know who else could drop at this point, that would be worthwhile.

This is a relatively weak draft, aside from the usual 3-5 franchise talents. Gresham "should" be a safe pick who finally gives this team a 3-down TE, and we can only hope Coffman develops to give them more options and help compliment the run-first offense, which frankly needs to drop it's # of carries significantly.

I think you just have to spend the 1st pick on the 0-line. It's the right/smart thing to do.

I'd be more than ok with Iupati or Pouncey.

weak draft? here thought it was suppossed be one best ever ;)...Well I don't think it's best I still think we'll have plenty talent decide from at 21 Mays who could be young Roy Williams,Sergio Kindle next Orackpo? or a TD machine like Gresham.

weak draft? here thought it was suppossed be one best ever ;)...Well I don't think it's best I still think we'll have plenty talent decide from at 21 Mays who could be young Roy Williams,Sergio Kindle next Orackpo? or a TD machine like Gresham.

Eh, yeah it's debatable about the quality of the draft I guess, maybe I'm alone there, but outside of the QB's, just a lot of guys with ? marks it seems.

Anyhow, the more I look at Gresham, the more I like it. Fills two needs - a big 6'5" posession WR who can make big plays and a guy who can block. And I love the idea of him and Coffman tearing up the middle of the field potentially, and stopping defenses from stacking the line and doubling Chad like they did last year. It's just become too easy to defend against this offense, as it's become woefully predictable and stale.

Eh, yeah it's debatable about the quality of the draft I guess, maybe I'm alone there, but outside of the QB's, just a lot of guys with ? marks it seems.

Anyhow, the more I look at Gresham, the more I like it. Fills two needs - a big 6'5" posession WR who can make big plays and a guy who can block. And I love the idea of him and Coffman tearing up the middle of the field potentially, and stopping defenses from stacking the line and doubling Chad like they did last year. It's just become too easy to defend against this offense, as it's become woefully predictable and stale.

This draft is deep in solid NFL players, no studs stand out past the first 5-6 picks though. QB is not a position I would pick out as without ? marks. 2 of the top prospects are coming of injury, 1 comes from a school that beats up on second tier NCAA teams and has problems with top tier talented teams and the biggest ? mark of all is Tebow.

I'd rather take a QB in the first, than a TE that wont contribute till half the season is over anyway. No 1st round TE, please.

Said it before with Mays and will say it again. Him going back to USC his senior year was the biggest mistake he probably has made in his life. While I applaud him for returning to school and finishing his degree, there were other things to consider.

After his junior season, the ENTIRE linebacking corps went to the NFL. Not only that, he was the ONLY player from the secondary that was the same from his junior season. Those players were replaced with a bunch of juniors that couldn't unseat underclassmen that outplayed them and players that Mays hadn't built any type of cohesiveness with. Say what you want, but that's important and I simply can't see him coming into the situation we have here, with one of the best CB tandoms in the league, along with two of his USC teammates in Rivers and Maualuga that he's familiar with and NOT performing at a high level. Couple that with being able to learn more about the position at the next level from a 5 time pro bowler that Mays has modeled his game after and that's what I call "win win"...

I have zero issues with Mays and if we draft him, that will make two years in a row the Bengals drafted the guy Kazkal has put into his sig prior to the draft.

Agree with every point you made !

I dunno some reason I been feelin like the team will go a DE/OLB Hybrid like they wanted in pollack(Sergio Kindle) It's always been obivious that Marvin has a man crush on linebackers and passrush was one of the things the defense was hurting on most IMO....You take away the greenbay game and were one worst passrushing teams even with it were ranked like 18th.

The one thing that worries me about Mays is his supposed lack of big plays made.

He had a above average year last year and well his INT number is low doesn't list how many balls he knocked loose or people didn't catch being Mays was knocking them out tongue.gif

Exactly Kaz, also there were quite a few times just didn't extend to make the catch knowing he was right there ready to lay some wood on 'em. So it's not just knocking balls loose, it's his presence and intimidation that makes WR's or TE's not extend to make catches as well.

I'd rather take a QB in the first, than a TE that wont contribute till half the season is over anyway. No 1st round TE, please.

Does the word Myopic mean anything to ya?

I'd be more than ok with the drafting of Gresham (he would be my 3rd choice behind Mays and Bryant). I would also be THRILLED if it only took him half a season to get into his groove. That would mean he contributed during his rookie season, possibly playoffs, AND FOR YEARS TO COME!!!!! If Gresham turns out to be the STUD I think he will, we won't have to worry about the position for years and years, also it makes everything easier on WR's and the QB.

Amazing how short-sighted you view things, and quite honestly, all you can hope for from the 21st pick is to be able to start/play effectively midway through his first season. Anybody expecting greatness from Day 1 from a rookie is a dreamer.

i am a Realist.

Does the word Myopic mean anything to ya?

I'd be more than ok with the drafting of Gresham (he would be my 3rd choice behind Mays and Bryant). I would also be THRILLED if it only took him half a season to get into his groove. That would mean he contributed during his rookie season, possibly playoffs, AND FOR YEARS TO COME!!!!! If Gresham turns out to be the STUD I think he will, we won't have to worry about the position for years and years, also it makes everything easier on WR's and the QB.

Amazing how short-sighted you view things, and quite honestly, all you can hope for from the 21st pick is to be able to start/play effectively midway through his first season. Anybody expecting greatness from Day 1 from a rookie is a dreamer.

i am a Realist.

A realist willing to take a first round pick on a TE that is nowhere a complete player and plays a position that Brat can not or will not involve in the offense.

A true realist would at least acknowledge that a recieving TE on the Bengals is already taken by last seasons pick of Coffman, wait until later in the draft and get the blocking TE that is actually a need for the team. You seem to not be able to see past Coffman's injury/redshirt year. Coffman had better college stats than Gresham did and has a year under his belt in our system. TE in the 1st round seems like a wasted pick to me. Again if all we are going to do with the 1st round pick is build depth at a position, than I say get Palmer's replacement now and teach him the system for two years.

A realist willing to take a first round pick on a TE that is nowhere a complete player and plays a position that Brat can not or will not involve in the offense.

2 things

1) If no WR is open, and there's nobody to block, Brat or no Brat, Carson will find Gresham. Gresham finds holes/seems in the Defense. Carson will dump it off to him. Also, with a TRUE TE like Gresham, and an O-Line with a full year together, Look for Carson to audible more, and exploit the defenses, thus eliminating Brat sh*tty play calling.

2) If we draft Gresham, I GUARANTEE he will be a Bengal longer than Bratkowski.

You seem to not be able to see past Coffman's injury/redshirt year. Coffman had better college stats than Gresham did and has a year under his belt in our system.

And you seem to forget that Coffman didn't do JACK SH*T last year. You seem to think all of a sudden he will be great? Or Healthy? What do you base that on?

Check the facts: If your talking about the last year they played, lets compare 2008

Coffman 90 rec 987 yds 10 TD's 11.0 yards per catch

Gresham 66 rec 950 yds 14 TD's 14.4 yards per catch

So basically Coffman had 37 more yards, but it took him 24 more receptions, while grabbing 4 less TD's.

In 4 years Coffman never broke 11.0 yards per catch

In 3 years Gresham never averaged less than 14.0

Gresham = Big plays Coffman cannot make......PERIOD.

If Coffman was "better" as you say, why was he drafted in the 3rd Rd? The consensus among draft guru's was, had Gresham come out after his Junior season he would have been the first TE drafted (ahead of Pettigrew at #20 overall).

One more thing, Coffman does not have "a year under his belt in our system". He has 1 training camp, and a little pre-season..He wasn't on the field on gamedays, nor did he practice because of injury. Just because he was in possession of a playbook? It doesn't mean SH*T if your not out there running the plays, and practicing.

You seem to not be able to see past Coffman's injury/redshirt year. Coffman had better college stats than Gresham did and has a year under his belt in our system.

And you seem to forget that Coffman didn't do JACK SH*T last year. You seem to think all of a sudden he will be great? Or Healthy? What do you base that on?

Check the facts: If your talking about the last year they played, lets compare 2008

Coffman 90 rec 987 yds 10 TD's 11.0 yards per catch

Gresham 66 rec 950 yds 14 TD's 14.4 yards per catch

So basically Coffman had 37 more yards, but it took him 24 more receptions, while grabbing 4 less TD's.

In 4 years Coffman never broke 11.0 yards per catch

In 3 years Gresham never averaged less than 14.0

Gresham = Big plays Coffman cannot make......PERIOD.

If Coffman was "better" as you say, why was he drafted in the 3rd Rd? The consensus among draft guru's was, had Gresham come out after his Junior season he would have been the first TE drafted (ahead of Pettigrew at #20 overall).

One more thing, Coffman does not have "a year under his belt in our system". He has 1 training camp, and a little pre-season..He wasn't on the field on gamedays, nor did he practice because of injury. Just because he was in possession of a playbook? It doesn't mean SH*T if your not out there running the plays, and practicing.

I dont really care, you can man crush on whomever you want. I dont want a first round TE. I also dont think Gresham is as good as you want to believe, but if they pick him I hope your right.

Yes, I think Coffman can/will be the best TE on the team this year, even if Gresham is our Rd. 1 pick.

I don't want a WR not named Bryant in the first, either. I'm afraid, however, were going to get that, and they'll pass up Gresham to do it.

See we found a Common Thought ;) Though I hope yer wrong about a WR not being named Byrant Called >_< would much rather have Gresh.

I have a very bad feeling about JPP...

Of my own feelings I wouldn't want the guy but he doesn't worry me as much as Gholsten who just never seemed to have a heart when playing JPP just lacks experiance...

But if Zimmer & Marvin wanted him there must have been a reason why so wouldn't pull a DOlphins/Jets Draft reaction...

Mays in the first wouldn't bother me. But I would go with WR in the second; I don't trust Gronkowski's back. Do not want Golden Tate.

Ya well I'd love to have Gronk if theres any concern he has spine issues then Pass...but if it's just load BS I'd love to have the guy.

Wide Receiver in the 2nd Tight End in the 3rd would work for me too.