My mid-season look at the draft picks

icehole3

Maybe the best draft ever, just so many solid contributions up and down this draft, Im very impressed with this group so I decided to give a mid-season grade.

Andre Smith - Incomplete, someone gave him the nickname sugar tits and he has pretty much lived up to that, but Im still in his camp and sprinkled in during the second half of the season has me feeling good about him, If he can dominate like he did at Bama, our O looks a whole better.

Rey Maualuga - B, he started like his hair was on fire, but lately he's been looking like a rookie to me, overall he's still the steal of the Bengals draft to me.

Michael Johnson - C, thought they would screw this kid up, but every game I get a little more impressed, he isnt dominate, but as I watch the games I go wow that was Johnson, his future is very very bright, Im going to say he's a semi steal

Chase Coffman - F, hate to do this to the kid but I have to. Some credit should go to coach Hayes, he was drafted as a project sure, but youve got to be ready in case something happens and with the 2 starters getting hurt, Hayes couldnt get him ready, so some blame should go to Coffman and some to Hayes

Jonathan Luigs - Incomplete, another project, I still love the pick, we need to draft lineman every year, thats what top teams do, draft solid lineman every year. Stockpile, stockpile, stockpile.

Kevin Huber - A, has made his present felt, when a opposing team has gashed the punt team, he doesnt sulk or go into a shell he just comes back and direction punts the opponent into corners and the sideline that has effectively neutralizes the opposition, his work at handling St.Louis' wild pitches was as good as it gets, I know I said Maualuga was the steal well, he is right there.

Morgan Trent - B, surprising, the game isnt to big for this kid, theis what Marvin said about him today:

Lewis also praised rookie cornerback Morgan Trent after playing his most snaps of the season as the nickel back since the Bengals were in nickel for more than half the game. Trent, the sixth-rounder from Michigan, has been creeping into the 30-snap mark the past month. With the confidence in Trent and not needing to put safety Chris Crocker in the slot, it frees up Crocker to roam and it paid off.

Bernard Scott - C, he seems to be close to breaking one everytime he touches the ball IMO, I'd like to see Brat use him more so Ced doesnt run out of gas at years end

Vakapuna, McDonald, Brown, really nothing to comment since they were cut.

HappyWave.gif

Andre Smith-Like you said incomplete though happy to hear that he dropped 30+ lbs.

Rey Maualuga - B, he started like his hair was on fire, but lately he's been looking like a rookie to me, overall he's still the steal of the Bengals draft to me. Steals are a tie for me I love Rey but truly think MJ will be something special himself

Michael Johnson --I'd rate him higher his stat's aren't there but his Pressure has been plus unlike most rookie Defensive ends he's just not being told to attack the QB He's typically playing 3 different positions (DT,LB & DE) Constantly dropping back in Coverage & How many Defensive Ends play on kickoff Coverage units in the past? The guy is freaking fast with a knack for getting to the ball... so I'd give him a B very good 3rd round selection

Chase Coffman -Disagree I'd say it was incomplete he was never planned to start this season,People are simply freaking out because we lost Reggie & Utecht...If they were healthy people would be fine with giving him time to develop because he was meant to be a Project....

Jonathan Luigs - Incomplete, . I don't get how you give Luigs a incomplete but not Coffman ...With that being said even if Cook is our long term center I like the pick it's important to have depth...

Kevin Huber - A, true that

Morgan Trent - B, Agreed 6th round pick Kevin Coyle is working his magic.

Bernard Scott - C,Agreed

Vakapuna, McDonald, Brown, really nothing to comment since they were cut. Well we do have Mcdonald as PS

Andre Smith: Incomplete- This guy's career started off bad, but he will end up being the best tackle drafted IMO. This dude just plain moves the earth and the people standing on it! Our offense, especially the running game will be so much better with his return

Rey "Rey" Maualuga: B- I would give him a "C" off his play lately, but you gotta remember this dude is playing outta his comfort zone and natural position of middle linebacker, where I think he'll turn out to be an "A" with his "Odell Thurman" like play!

Mike Johnson: B- I just couldn't give him a "C". He's too freakishly talented and playing 3 different positions to give him a "C". This dude can turn out to be the steal of the draft. Sure, he doesn't have the sacks, but he's getting constant pressure and he plays every special teams, I'VE NEVER SEEN A DEFENSIVE END RUNNING DOWN ON KICKOFF COVERAGE!

Chase Coffman: Incomplete- There's not much to say here, I hope he turns out to be the guy we drafted in the 3rd round, but that guy is hella better than Coats and should be active and playing a little bit. It's hard for me to keep talking s**t about JP Foschi, the dude looks legit! BTW, Utecht sux!

Jon Luigs: Incomplete- Great depth, but I think Kyle Cook is the s**t, and should be extended to be our center for years.

Kevin Huber: (A+)- I've never seen such a great punter, IMO. I don't know how punters are judged to make the Pro Bowl, but he is clearly a Pro Bowl caliber punter.

Morgan Trent: (B+)- Sneaky great draft pick, IMO. He looks like the nickel and perfect backup to the dynamic duo!

Bernard Scott: (C-)- I like the guy and want to give him higher but I think I was generous enough with a C-. He could turn out to be out a great compliment to CedBen but needs more work.

I think it's ridiculous to to give a sixth round pick at running back a C, based alone on the fact that he's already the second running back on a team loaded with running backs. Overall I think a lot of these grades are dumb, but that's because I think production can't be expected out of rookies immediately. The impact of these guys won't be completely felt for awhile. Give MJ an offseason in the weightroom, give Rey a year's worth of film study, give Coffman a year's worth of blocking technique, and give Andre a year's worth of conditioning, and this class could be great. I think it's kind of unreasonable to give any of these players anything else but an incomplete. Keep in mind, Caldwell and Sims did nothing early in their rookie seasons and are now both pretty key players in their second season. Give them some time to come into their roles.

I think it's ridiculous to to give a sixth round pick at running back a C, based alone on the fact that he's already the second running back on a team loaded with running backs. Overall I think a lot of these grades are dumb, but that's because I think production can't be expected out of rookies immediately. The impact of these guys won't be completely felt for awhile. Give MJ an offseason in the weightroom, give Rey a year's worth of film study, give Coffman a year's worth of blocking technique, and give Andre a year's worth of conditioning, and this class could be great. I think it's kind of unreasonable to give any of these players anything else but an incomplete. Keep in mind, Caldwell and Sims did nothing early in their rookie seasons and are now both pretty key players in their second season. Give them some time to come into their roles.

We're just having a lil fun during the bye week! We obviously all know we have to give these players time to develop. I can't speak for everyone but their impact this season doesn't make or break these players to me! Calm down and join in the fun or maybe this topic isn't for you and you should just bounce! :P

We're just having a lil fun during the bye week! We obviously all know we have to give these players time to develop. I can't speak for everyone but their impact this season doesn't make or break these players to me! Calm down and join in the fun or maybe this topic isn't for you and you should just bounce! :P

thanks Super, I dont understand how he cant see that it's just for fun, its gonna be a long sunday this week, thats why I threw this out there